Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Tick* when starting movement in first or reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005 | 03:07 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Question *Tick* when starting movement in first or reverse...

I don't know... maybe it's normal and I haven't noticed it until now or something, but a few weeks ago I noticed the 964 will "tick" (just one click) when I ease off of the clutch to begin moving forward in first gear, or when I ease off of the clutch to move in reverse. These are the only two times (in 1st and Rev) it will do it, but it does it every time under those two conditions. I really didn't notice it until after I changed my spark plugs a few weeks ago and took it for a test drive, though I don't see how changing the plugs and this "tick" can be related. Nothing feels different.

For clarification, I'm not speaking of putting the car in gear, but rather once it's already in gear and I am easing off of the clutch to begin movement from say, a stoplight or stop sign---that's when I hear the one tick.

Any idea what this may be?

Thnx,
Harry
Old 06-02-2005 | 03:34 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

My first thought would be the emeegency brake is engaging the brakes slightly, so you feel it breaking away when you start to pull off.

Isn't there some sort of drum brake setup back there for the emergency brake? If this were grabbing just a bit (say the e-brake set a bit tight) it might do this.

cv joints? If they are wearing they make reorient themselves under power. If it was a front wheel drive you could turn it all the way and check to see if they click.

my cpl cents worth of possibilities anyway.
Old 06-02-2005 | 03:40 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

true about the CV joints. i remember when they went bad on my A6, they would tick, but only when the wheel was turned and i would apply a decent amount of power. that kind of stinks that i can't do the same "test" with the 964.

somethin to look at... thanks!

anyone else?
Old 06-02-2005 | 03:54 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Overnight you might get rust build up in the rotors and you get a tick when the pads break away... that will only be during startups of course...

What Heirsh mentioned...

I had a clutch noise (would not call it a ticking sound, more like two metal slipping..the sound you make when you rub your hands together... you get the idea... and yes, I need to use lotion for my hands ) when easing off the clutch.. that one is in a lot of threads here from others that have it... I learned to live with it... comes and goes...

Quick Reply: *Tick* when starting movement in first or reverse...