Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig.....

My 1991 C2 has had a problem with brake squeal at the end of the stop. It is quiet at the beginning of the brake, but squeaks very loud at the end of the braking before the car stops. My mechanic has replaced pads and tried several fixes all to no avail. He states I now need all new calipers.....
Anyone have experience with this and if this is needed any suggestions for replacement parts. Cost is an issue right now so less is better.

Thanks,
Stewart
Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What pads are you useing ?
What are you useing on the back of the pads ?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:53 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 464 Posts

Hi Stewart - new caliper... nah... I can't imagine why you'd need a new caliper unless it was leaking!

My daily driver C4 is now squealing as yours does - just started doing it when I replaced the front rotors and kept the old pads (at about 50% or so). Shoot! I tried removing the mushroom on the back of the pads combined with some brake-quiet adhesive goop, but it's still there. I am going to swap out the pads for some metal master pads that are not as dusty, too. Try a different pad before you try new calipers!
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the problem, first on the rears then one of the fronts. I finally corrected it by switching to metal masters, getting rid of the mushroom dampers, and coating the backs of the metal masters and the metalic edges of the pads (obviously *NOT* the pads themselves) with brake damping grease. NOW they're finally quiet.

Things that DID NOT work were:

1. Replacing the mushroom dampers
2. Having the rotors resurfaced
3. Replacing the pads with new OEM pads
4. Getting rid of the mushrooms but keeping the OEM pads and putting damping material on the back of the OEM pads.

I never went as far as changing the calipers.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use metal masters. I didnt add anything to the back of the pads as they came with anti squeal pads attached. Very minimal squeal occasionally.

Last edited by jimq; 04-23-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem with my front rotors (made a thread on it about 3-4 days ago) and it's the most annoying sound of all time.

the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/268200-what-do-you-use-on-the-back-of-your-brake-pads.html

i can't even stand to drive the 964 right now because it's so loud--like a city bus with bad brakes, i swear. my friend who owns an independent shop (i use his lift after-hours), works on brakes all day long and him and i both think it may be what's on the back of the pads. we're gonna pull the pads out and reapply some other stuff to the backs of them this week.

how in the hell can we send people to space and to the moon, but we can't figure out how to keep brakes from squealing? LOL... this is crazy.

Last edited by Euromagination; 04-23-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine squeal like crazy when they're dirty. After a good wash with some forceful water right on (cool) rotors the squealing goes away until they get dirty again...maybe after 2 or 3 rips in the countryside.

c
Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Yup dirt is the key. I have a weekly jaunt down to the high pressure hose self service car wash to clear out the brakes, since those places have a filtered drainage so none of the gunk like oil and the like make it to the sea unfiltered. I will try metal masters next though.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Are Metal Masters a brand of brake pad?
My 90 C2 also squeals like a pig from the rear... But copper-slip paste alone didnt cure it...
It sounds like the best solution according to peoples advice so far is to remove the mushrooms, use 'metal masters' and apply a brake paste to the back of the pads?.....

Last edited by KB964Cabrio; 04-24-2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: ed
Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a brand. Only $25 or so a set of 2 wheels. They dont put out much dust either. Dont know how they would hold up on the track but for everyday driving I find them great.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Hey guys,
Sometime the squeeling is caused by uneven pressure on the pads when applying the brakes. Had a 96 Benz E220 that squeeled before and after changing out two sets of pads, turning the rotors and pulling out lots of hair.
Finally fixed the problem by tearing the calipers apart and cleaning them very well, including a very doing a poor man's hone (1200 grit wet/dry) of the piston walls. My best guess at that time was because of the minor oxidation/corrosion preventing the smooth caliper operation, likely caused by our high humidity.

What ever it was, problem solved. (that time) ;-)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Metalmasters are not available for the 2 pot rear early type rear calipers correct?

I've noticed uneven wear between the pads in my rear caipers. I wonder if maybe Bangkokian's fix would help in my case. I hate to put money in these calipers, though, if the ultimate fix is the newer style 4-pots.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My brakes squealed really bad. Car sounded like a bus. I replaced the pads with ceramic pads and the problem went away. I think I read somewhere that ceramics squeal above the level of human hearing. They also leave less brake dust on your rims.

Kirk
Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Smile

I used to have this problem. I purchased Ferodo brake pads and all new anti-squeal pads. Installed them and problem gone. Occasionally, I may hear a faint squeal but it is the result of brake dust which I clean off and all is well. Before that I was very embarrased to come to a stop. All is well now.

Good Luck,
Carmelo
90 C4 Convertible
Old 04-25-2006, 04:11 PM
McJohn
Racer

New calipers? Seems unlikely.

Has he replaced the thrust plates?

McJ

Quick Reply: Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig.....