Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use on the back of your brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use on the back of your brake pads?

Hi all.

What kind of stuff do you guys apply to the back of your pads?

My brand new brakes (zimmerman rotor/textar pad combination) won't stop squealing upon medium pressure, so I'm going to try a different kind of anti-squeal stuff and I'd like to know which is "best".
I'm not even kidding when I say my 964's brake squeal rivals city bus brake squeals. it's that bad, and the only way they won't make any noise is if I hit them very early (too early), and come to a long, slow stop with 5% pressure the whole time.

The kind of anti-squeal I used last time was just some generic stuff that my friend had in his shop when we did the brakes last month. Any suggestions?

-H
Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

My back brakes squeel like pigs, though I think they are better at the moment.

I've tried the anti squeel spray pelican sells (brand escapes me) on the back.
I've tried the thin rubber pads pelican sells on the back.
I've tried both of the above.
I tried new brake pads, new rotors.
Nothing

I really don't know where the sqeal comes from. 90% sure its the rears.

Finally I bought some caliper grease. Forget the brand, but its a major brand name at my local auto parts store. I smeared the stuff on anything I thought could be moving and causing a vibration. (pins, piston seals, edges of pad careful not to get any on the surface of the pads). I think I'm in business. I heard it once after this, but it was not nearly as bad as normal.

My squeel is not the normal disk brake high pitch hiss, its a hideous squeal reminiscent of a pig being poked with a red hot iron. I tried calling sooooooeeeeeee, but I never could figure out where it was coming from exactly.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the proper mushrooms, only a couple of hundred miles in, but no squeals.

Kevin.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I used the Mintex brand of pads which have a anti-squeal coating on them. I removed the factory mushrooms to faciliate easier pad changes. They have not squealed at all in 8K miles.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

I installed new Mintex pads F&R using stock mushrooms. Treated the braking surface of the pad with the Worth anti-squeal stuff (little white bottle..). I did NOT cut or change the rotors in anyway. No squeals at all until recently and I'm down to less than 20% remaining on the F&R pads.

I have been warned by numerous people that replacing pads, but no rotors causes squeal to be highly likely. Given the costs of the rotors, I willingly take the risk.

Now my experience is that I get squeal from the rears at 10% braking pressure in the last 30ft of the braking effort. I noticed I would also get a moan/groan when backing up slowly or rolling to a stop. Upon inspection of the brakes and not finding anything wrong, I used a couple cans of brake cleaner to remove all the accumulated dust back there. HOLY COW what a difference! There's a noticable difference in the car's ability to roll, evidently the accumulated dust was impeding the pad from pulling away from the disk.

I think there's some link between pad thickness, dust accumulation and propensity for squealing...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I think it's only my fronts that are squealing. I was just driving the car about an hour ago and it's so bad that I'm honestly embarrassed to drive it. It's such a high-pitched, constant squeal... What the hell.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you checked your spring plates to make sure they aren't deformed (from brake dust buildup) and causing the pads to bind?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use nothing other than the stock pads and have no issues with squeal (on the street car).
Old 04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
botoo
Instructor

I tried getting rid of the mushrooms, adding a red anti squeal compound, and did everything I could to get rid of the squeal to no avail. Finally I installed the Ferodo pads from Pelican Parts and installed them with nothing but the pad, and haven't had a squeal since.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the foam pad they sell at Pelican Parts. No squeal.

I think some racing pad will squeal no matter what.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:53 PM
porsche356sc
Intermediate

Try to drill a couple of holes on the pad.

helpt on my 964
Old 04-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I use a spray on the back on of my pads. I took the mushrooms out. They were making it hard to change pads. The sprays is called Permatex® Disc Brake Quiet (no affiliation). Its available at my local autoparts store. I've used it on all of my cars for the past 20 years. It works great. The cans last forever too. I'm on my third can in 20 years.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...rake_Quiet.htm
Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 PM
ronone10
Racer

I too use the Ferodo pads from Pelican Parts with nothing on the back of the pads. I just installed them three months ago and so far, no squealing. Less noticiable dust as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

If its your fronts causing the issue you can simply change pads. With my old style rears I can only use textar. I'm going to find some other pad and machine off what I need to make them fit my rears next time. OR if I could only find a set of 4 pot rears at a reasonable price.

Good luck, squeal sure is a pita.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 PM
jeff522
Racer

FWIW I'm using a carbon kevlar type pad with a ceramic back(KFP Gold) great stopping power no fad yet They do squeal untill they warm up a bit.Once warm there quiet I really don't care if they squeal from time to time as long as they stop the car.

Quick Reply: What do you use on the back of your brake pads?