Sponsored by:

Whats this warning light mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Whats this warning light mean?

On the way to work this morning i noticed a warning light on the dash come on. It looks like a picture of a gear **** and is at the 10 o'clock postion on the dash board clock.
I switched the car off once i was at work and restarted the engine....no warning light.
As i'm not at home i cant check Adrians book so if anyone can give me an idea or two of what it means please do!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you checked your owners manual? The icon that looks like a gearbox is the automatic transmission warning,

"Indicator lamp Emergency program A control lamp in the clock lights up after turning on the ignition to check the light bulb and goes out after starting the engine. If this indicator lamp lights up while driving, there is a fault in the system. At this point the program for the transmission will automatically go to the automatic 4th gear position regardless of the selector lever position. Once the engine turned off when it is restarted, only 3rd gear is activated as an emergency driving gear in selector lever positions "D", 3, 2 or 1. Adapt your driving habits to the changed situation and bring y our car to an authorized Porsche dealer for repairs."

On my clock the tiptronic warning is between 8-9, seatbelt warning 9-10, CAT 10-11 and alternator 11-12.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the owner's manual:
"If this lamp lights up while driving there is a fault in the the Tiptronic system. At this point the program for the transmission will automatically go to the 4th gear position regardless of the the selector lever position.
Once the engine is turned off then restarted, only the 3rd gear is activated as an emergency driving gear in positions D, 3, 2, or 1.
Adapt your driving habits to the changed situation and bring your car to an authorized Porsche dealer for repairs."
I hope you just had little spam of the warning system and not a real problem.
Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:39 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

This happened to me once, and only once. As I recall, it was after shifting to drive before coming to a stop in Reverse. After I turned off the car, and let it sit for a couple of hours the light went away, and the tranny shifted fine again.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:03 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

YAY for Rennlist!......much thanks for the info guys.
Sundog, you hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what happened.
I had to back up slightly at an intersection to allow a truck to get around the corner, then promptly put it into drive moved forward 100m to turn into work and then i noticed the warning light. Your post made me remember that thats what i had done without thinking early in the day.

Needless to say the P car run perfectly on the way home tonight. I am greatly relieved that it didnt turn into large $$$'s.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Default Tiptronic update

Several days after the tiptronic warning light had come on and appeared to reset itself.......it came on again while driving home from work.
Restarting the car the next day, the warning came on again, so i disconnected the battery for a few hours thinking i will make sure any faults are cleared. Unfortunately that didnt work.

I then got a transporter to ship the car to the nearest Porsche service place.

Their diagnosis using a Hammer (KTS500?) was that the throttle speed sensor was telling the transmission that it was at 35% throttle all the time. An easy fix.....cleaned the connection.

Apon a test drive they noticed the transmission wasnt kicking down to 2nd gear as it should once the throttle hits the floor. The actual switch under the accelerator and the wire tested fine.
They then pulled out the ECU from under the seat and that tested fine as far as they could tell. They put everything back together and the kickdown works 100% fine now. Go figure.

While they were messing with the transmission i got them to flush and refill with a new filter as they reported the ATF level was a little low. It seems that the ATF may never have been changed and the good news is that there were no fragments/bits in the filter just some sludge.

The end result is that my car goes great and that dirty connections happen with age.

I am happy to have the car back and going beautifully again knowing all is well and the transmission has been serviced.
Total cost: NZ$916 (US$580) - cheap peace of mind.

I hope this helps others who may have the same problem and its nice to be able to contribute something back to this forum.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you guys shift into gear when the car is moving in the opposit direction (i.e., before the car comes to a complete stop)? That's certainly not good for an automatic tranny!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:33 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Not exactly a deliberate or normal action andrew, just something that needed to be done quickly and not judged/executed well.

I might add that my wifes previous car, which was purchased new, and sold at 160,000km was treated badly like that by my wife.......not coming to a complete halt before changing gear to go in the opposite direction. Mostly when she backed out of the driveway and put it into Drive while still rolling backwards slightly.....amazingly the tranny is still very good.

Quick Reply: Whats this warning light mean?