Sponsored by:

Trade -Your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Miguel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade -Your opinion

I have the opportunity to trade my 2000 Boxster S ( in perfect condition ) for a 1991 3.3 turbo ( porsche approved ).

I have posted this request in the turbo forum, but, on second thought, turbo forums won't be "unbiased".

Of course there is no comparison, for me, between the 3.3 T 911 and the Boxster, but there are nine years of age difference between the cars. Since my other car is a 93 C4, won't I be running the risk of having one "oldie" too many?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this, please.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Miguel
...Of course there is no comparison, for me, between the 3.3 T 911 and the Boxster...

A little out of context, but I couldn't have said it better myself.

-Harry
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Oh, and I don't think you'd have to worry at all about having one too many "oldies". Buy what you like most no matter what year it is. If you like the car more, you like the car more. Can't help it's age.

Excuse my poor analogy, but think of this:
There are two women that you have to choose between and start a relationship. One is a ridiculously beautiful and successful model who you know will continue to look great for years because of her natural beauty and the fact that she's taken good care of herself, but you're not sure just because she's a few years older than you...
The other choice is a 23 year old college cheerleader. Technically she's hotter, but only because she's younger and wears more make-up. Who knows if she will be such a great catch in five years from now since her beauty isn't quite as deep or natural...

Do you choose the beautiful, successful and smart model who has so much more substance to her? Or do you opt for the younger cheerleader who is also hot and pretty smart, but will never quite be what the supermodel has become, or even still is... ???

Of course, there is no comparison between women and cars. This is just an analogy.

-H
Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

The 3.3 Turbo is one of the most existential examples of being Porsche.

The Boxster was designed to introduce one to the thought of existentialism.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Miguel
Pro

Euroimagination, Thank you for the colorfull analogy. It it were between women, it would be a no brainer...period.

Older models, any time, any where....
Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know where these women are.... Seriously, the Turbo is sooooo much more Porsche. I'd take 911 series over ANYTHING, except a CGT that is.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
Oh, and I don't think you'd have to worry at all about having one too many "oldies". Buy what you like most no matter what year it is. If you like the car more, you like the car more. Can't help it's age.

Excuse my poor analogy, but think of this:
There are two women that you have to choose between and start a relationship. One is a ridiculously beautiful and successful model who you know will continue to look great for years because of her natural beauty and the fact that she's taken good care of herself, but you're not sure just because she's a few years older than you...
The other choice is a 23 year old college cheerleader. Technically she's hotter, but only because she's younger and wears more make-up. Who knows if she will be such a great catch in five years from now since her beauty isn't quite as deep or natural...

Do you choose the beautiful, successful and smart model who has so much more substance to her? Or do you opt for the younger cheerleader who is also hot and pretty smart, but will never quite be what the supermodel has become, or even still is... ???

Of course, there is no comparison between women and cars. This is just an analogy.

-H

I LOVE the analogy!

Um... Yes... The turbo... Definitely!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Good comparison Harry
Miguel, you already have a convertible, a Turbo coupe and a NA convertible seems a perfect combo. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

No Brainer---TURBO!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:20 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

A lot of secretaries drive Boxsters...........how many drive 911 Turbo's ?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Miguel
Pro

Guys, my mind is made up ( this last post by YYC930 killed me ).

Tomorrow I am going to try and test drive the 3.3...see what gives..who knows if this isn't the last night the Boxster stays in?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

This is an example of what you can get for $42k or so. All of the 94 3.6 Turbos I've seen advertised are in the $60 to mid $70's, I'm sure there may be some high milage ones out there for much less. Boxters are nice rides and have come a long way from first introduced but still get blown away by BMW's.
If you like the ride of a boxster but want more power, get a Cayman. If you want raw, bad a_s power, get a 964 Turbo.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 PM
C H
Instructor

The Turbo will keeps its value much better than the newer Boxter, if of course money has any bearing.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the big question is:

What are you going to use the 3.3 Turbo for? Daily Driving? Fun weekend rides on curvy backroads? Track use?

Personally, I'd take the Boxster if I had an urban ride to work where there is a lot of traffic. It's 9 years newer and is much more comfortable threading through traffic and poor weather conditions than the Turbo.

Keep in mind that age takes it's toll as well as mileage. Seals dry out, plastic gets a bit more brittle, etc., etc.

I'd keep the Boxster (newer, hopefully more reliable, easier to slog around while running arrands, better fuel economy, etc) and trade off the '93 C4 on the Turbo.

Just my $.02.

Jay

Last edited by Jay H; 04-10-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:10 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Miguel.....

Don't get me wrong bud.......I love the Boxster just as much as the next guy........but a Turbo.......well.......it's a Turbo......

Quick Reply: Trade -Your opinion