Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has got a trick for the clutch throw-out bearing installation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 463 Posts
Question who has got a trick for the clutch throw-out bearing installation?

Before I use a jack between a door-jamb in the house while my wife is gone to compress the washers... is there a better way, or a simpler way, to install the throwout bearing on the pressure plate?

Last night I had my wife stand on the pressure plate to try to compress the spring washer while I tried to get the C-clip in there - no go!!!! She's too light! We switched and with my 200lbs, I still could not get it!

Is there an easy trick? I thought I had it at first, but found the spring washer was upside down (that sure makes the installation easy!).

My next option is to use a jack aiming sideways, some wood, and compress it using a doorway in the house to push against ! Gotta' be an easier way!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ususally when I do this, having someone just apply a fair amount of weight to the pressure plate will get it down low enough to install the clip. You might need two people to hold it down as it take a little time to get that clip in there. If someone is talented, you can use a board across the case of the PP. Now with the PP standing on the throw out bearing, have someone stand on the board (will need to hold onto a wall or such for balance). This ususally will work as long as the person can balance for a minute or so. When I have to do it by myself, I use a simple hydraulic press. That probably doesn't help too much.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What about a couple of pieces of wood and a couple of clamps? Couldn't you rig something this way? Sorry if I'm being naive.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Bob - no, that does help - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy by trying to stand on it and get that sucker in there! I'll try again today, and maybe even go buy some large C-clamps since that might be the required tool for this job!

No Dave, that's not naive, I just don't have clamps!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you jack the car up with the throwout bearing on the pressure plate under the jack ?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:27 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My trick was to carry it over to the local shop and have them do it for me. I offered them money but they did it for free.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh, William, that's no trick! If I carry any part of my car anywhere around here, and they ask what it's for... then I'm in trouble!

Indy, I wouldn't be able to reach it if it were under the car... plus I don't want to risk smashing my hands... not good after 20 years of school and 30 to pay off the student loans

I'm off to go wrestle with it again!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
racergreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris W. and I used large C-claps and clamped it down onto the top of a workbench stool!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:46 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alright, there is a trick! it's called: put it on correctly! I took a look at my old pressure plate, and saw that the two thin washers BOTH go on the fork side of the bearing!!!! I was trying to put one on the fork side, and then one on the flywheel side they trying to jam that C-clip in there! I got it on with no problem when that washer is not in the way - sitting in a chair with my feet on the pressure plate I can push on it enough to slide that c-clip in. It was actually pretty easy to do (unless my old throwout bearing is wrong!!!!)

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: who has got a trick for the clutch throw-out bearing installation?