How last a clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How last a clutch...

Hello all of you!

my 91' C4 just went to the "other" side of 150,000kms (+93K miles) and when my father pick up the car after its 20K service, my mechanic (Porsche service Center) told him the clutch was soon due...

"Problem" is i think this is more a "you have to do it a 80K kms " policy than a real need. especially after he charged me for some "little extra" stuff on the regular service adding up to EUR300... He definetely lost the TRUST i had in his judment, trying to make a little extra. For sure the brakes (rotor/pads/bleeding) will be due soon, but this time i will tackle this task myself (will be my 1st DIY-ABFU) on which he quote me close to EUR1000...

back to the clutch,

NO sign of slippage so far, no problem to up/down shifting...

What is your experience on the duration of your clutch and can i wait for REAL sign of wear? what are the signs of wear i wouldn't notice...

Thanks for your recommendations...

O T L .
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that usually, the sign you need a new clutch is not because it's slip - it's because it becomes very heavy to use.

Mine doesn't slip at all - but it has got very heavy to use, and I know I need a new clutch.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here (on a C2) pedal action was very heavy and there was some slip on standing starts.

When I picked up the car from having the clutch replaced, I nearly put my foot through the bulkhead.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Same here (on a C2) pedal action was very heavy and there was some slip on standing starts.

When I picked up the car from having the clutch replaced, I nearly put my foot through the bulkhead.
I guess it depends what you mean by "standing starts". When I said mine didn't slip, I wasn't including the time I tried pulling away from the lights at 6000rpm....

I sat in Graham's car soon after he'd had a new clutch, and I was amazed. It actually felt like the pedal wasn't connected to anything it was so light.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

My original clutch was replaced at 200k km - the symptoms were a failure for the pedal to return to the top and difficulty in getting the car out of gear without blipping the throttle. All the usual suspects - bleeding, pedal mechanics, new slave, new master, etc - didn't fix the problem. The final diagnosis before replacement was "worn pressure plate and release bearing" and the problem was resolved.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Clutch Pedal - Stiff or Hard to Depress
Group

Number

Model
911 C2/C4

Part Identifier

January 14, 1993

Subject:
Stiff Clutch Actuation High Pedal Effort

ATTENTION:
Service Manager/Service Technician

Models Affected:
1990 to 1992 Carrera 2/4 (L, M, N)

Concern:
Clutch pedal stiff or hard to depress.

General Information:
Extensive investigation of clutch components which were replaced for stiff clutch actuation has produced the following results:

A 90% reduction in clutch pedal force was achieved by replacing only the clutch disc. Only in cases of high mileage, pronounced wear or serious corrosion should all the clutch parts and actuation elements be considered for replacement.

Repair Information:
As a result the following procedure should be used before replacing clutch parts for stiff clutch actuation. (High pedal effort.)

1. Bleed the clutch hydraulics.
2. Check pedal operation. (See Technical Bulletin Group 3, Number 9202.)
3. Check clutch and operating parts for serious wear or corrosion. (Some wear and light corrosion is considered normal.)
4. Replace clutch disc.

Vehicle Information:
As of August 24, 1992, from engine number 62 P 010678, clutch disc Part Number 964 116 013 50 is installed in production. This part should be installed if disc replacement becomes necessary.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya bzh on the loose
"For sure the brakes (rotor/pads/bleeding) will be due soon, but this time i will tackle this task myself (will be my 1st DIY-ABFU) on which he quote me close to EUR1000..."
You really need to send me that ticket so that I can help , please .

The clutch will need redoing at some point in the cars life , its not like you can do without , so if its going to be , its going to be . If the first one went 150,000kms thats not bad , if the next one goes as far , you will have a good clutch for many many years .

We could do the brakes and the clutch same time , if you like .
Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

My clutch began slipping like crazy before it finally failed completely (on the freeway I might add) It was replaced about 2 years ago (7000 miles). I don't remember the pedal being heavier however. At the time I was literally on the way back from my mech who told me I should get it replaced 'within the next few months' !!!!

Currently I am hearing a clunking noise especially after pulling away and changing into second gear. There is no slip or heaviness but I am getting concerned.

Quick Reply: How last a clutch...