Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Geoffrey, I will look into that.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry, Here is a better look at the solder splice. This particular cable is a 5 wire screened and jacketed cable used for the 3 axis accelerometer mounted after the shifter on the tunnel. The screen is used as a drain for noise, so to get the screen from the accelerometer sensor through the connector, to the main wire harness, a solder splice is required. The individual wires are 24ga wires which is far smaller than the .5mm wire used by the factory for sensors. This is in part what makes for a much lighter harness.

For the most part, the wire harnesses are complete from the front bulkhead to the rear of the car with the exception of the engine harness itself which requires the engine to be complete to build the harness. Other pictures include a front wheel speed sensor wire to the ABS brain, and a picture of the interior harnesses. If you look closely, you can see that every wire has either a yellow or white label. Yellow labels are wires that are primarily ECU controlled and white labels are for wires that are primarily ADL Dash Logger controlled.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

What can I say, great work Geoffrey! Love the car, looks like a super fun project. It will be much too clean to put on the track
Old 03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Perfect timing. I just finished reading my Racecar Engineering magazine and here is an sidebar in an article on wiring harnesses - Beru F1 System's principal technical director - Gary Norman

1) Create a pinout or schematic drawing of the car's electrical system

2) Create an accurate layout drawing that details the dimensions of the loom

3) Consider current requirements, wire sizes and type and voltage drop

4) A racecar is a hostile environment. Consider that the loom is likely to come into contact with various fluids like water, oil, grease, and fuel. The temperature in the engine bay and other areas is also a major design consideration - even if the engine bay is open it can still get very hot. Vibration is also pretty extreme, and running kerbs or on gravel can really shake things up.

5) Connectors - choose ones that will suite the environment and wires you are using

6) Cable protection - there are a number of ways of doing this, but make sure you use a suitable product to protect the wires.

7) Servicability - you might have to change something quickly when removing it gfrom the chassis, it is all too easy to cut a wire whilst removing cable ties.

8) Avoid sharp edges when routing the loom through the chassis, particularly when passing through bulkheads. Thec car will flex when running and this could cause problems with the loom.

9) Remember - smoke is bad

Oh yea, today I got the 996GT2 up and running on MoTeC And will dyno tune it on Saturday. The factory wire harness modified and merged with the MoTeC connector worked well.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything looks really good Geoffrey. Nice that I am in the same region of the country. I can't wait to see it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Now which wire went where??? Man I should have left this thing stock...

Old 05-26-2006, 02:35 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the other guy who said it was much too pretty to take on the track. Beautiful. I think I'd have to mount it on my wall and just look at it every day, then race someone else's car.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow the underbelly of that car is so clean !! Nice work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Wiring Update