964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 10:37 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I think you're right, but you're also blowing it out of proportion. In a properly maintained Pcar, it's not really a problem. Look at the autobahn in Germany, yes there are bad crashes there, but still FEWER than on American highways mile for mile. That's a fact.
As you stated there are bad crashes on the Autobahn. And from what I have been told while fewer then here in America when they do occur the speed does not let the occupants walk away. Serious injury and fatalities are common on the Autobahn when crashes occur. Many Germans seem to have a different attitude towards speed and saftey. Many take stock cars with no saftey equipment onto the "Ring" and drive at 12 tenths until they screw up and end up as a statistic. They either accept or ignore the risk. Driving at high speed without safety equipment simply increases the odds of serious injury or fatality beyond resonable risk. My Opinion - and I love to drive fast - but only in an environment where I think I have good odds to survive.
Old 02-26-2006 | 11:58 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

It's interesting that when one talks about sports involving speed, the faster you go the better you feel. Take snow skiing for instance, going fast feels great, however the faster you to the more risk involved for you and the others around on the slope. Same can be said for motorized recreation activities such as boating, where the increase in speed exponentially increases the danger level. So, in most sports, that's the idea behind the game.
We cannot deny the various statistics related increases is danger/risk when it comes to driving our cars fast on the road (or track for that matter). Our reactions times, the reaction times of other drivers, animals, etc., risk from mechanical failures and so on, all change as our speed changes. As such each of us has to excercise as much caution and skill possible when tromping the gas pedal down the road. We also know that everywhere there are legal speed limits, we run the risk of police stopping us. These points have been stated throughout the posts and are all correct, no arguement.

Regardless, I venture to ask, is there any one of us who hasn't at least once tried push the speed envelope to perhaps, 100MPH, 120, 130, a little more?? All I can say is I hope each of us at least did it sober, analysed the environoment around us, used their brain a little when they did it and had a good idea of the mechanical condition of their car. However on the other hand I must admit I did it the second time I drove my 964 and it was on a fenced of section of a one-way motorway, no other cars, no drinks, however how could I know the mechanical condition. It was a risk I took, feeling I loved and I can't wait to do it again.
Please don't chastise me and if my next frolic drive does me in, it would be a waste of a real nice, red 964.
Old 02-27-2006 | 04:17 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Lightbulb

"Indycam... That is an excellent site! Thanks for posting it. I dream of being able to have a garage big enough to build all the stuff I want. A Porsche, a couple of American Muscle Cars and an airplane. The AR-5 looks like an interesting project. It sort of has a Sukhoi flavor to it. And of course... Fast is always nice."

Did I read somewhere Porsche built aero engines or the flat 6 have been used as aero engines?Or ami I imagining it?

Sea Eagle
Old 02-27-2006 | 07:27 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche did an adaptation of the 911 engine for aircraft. They installed it in a Mooney. They withdrew it shortly afterwards.
Old 02-27-2006 | 03:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Did I read somewhere Porsche built aero engines or the flat 6 have been used as aero engines?Or ami I imagining it?"
Ya they did aero engines , replaced the cam chains with gears for one thing .
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:24 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Not to beat a dead horse to death but this is a link full of pictures of exotic wrecks and it certainly demonstrates the danger of high speed on public roads. Enjoy!

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/911/

One observation I made is how the race track wrecks all seem to have far less damage and destruction then the street wrecks.
Old 03-03-2006 | 05:26 AM
Seight
Instructor

Well, on the track you're never going to hit anything that's coming the other way...!

Cheers
Alex
Old 03-03-2006 | 12:44 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Does anybody know whos car , the red flat top 964 is on page 7 ?
Old 03-03-2006 | 03:01 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Not to beat a dead horse to death but this is a link full of pictures of exotic wrecks and it certainly demonstrates the danger of high speed on public roads. "
I read a study about car safety a few years back . Worlds most dangerous car was the corvette , the safest was the volvo 740 wagon . The corvette had the highest deaths per 100k miles driven , the volvo the lowest . It was not the car but the driver that made them dangeous or safe . The corvette was smashed into things by the drivers . The volvo was not . The corvette driver thought they knew how to go fast when in fact they did not , took crazy risks and crashed . The volvo driver values safety , does not look for thrills while driving , doesn't crash much . If I drive within my abilities and allways put safety first , why not drive as conditions allow ?
Old 03-03-2006 | 03:26 PM
loot87
Racer

And then there's the fact that the Volvo is built like a tank. With looks to match.
Old 03-03-2006 | 05:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by loot87
And then there's the fact that the Volvo is built like a tank. With looks to match.
Yeah, and don't forget that if "E = MC squared", then you are safe as can be with a Volvo!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-04-2006 | 01:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"And then there's the fact that the Volvo is built like a tank."
Well the thing is not about how well built the volvo is , its about crashing or not crashing .
If you put the volvo driver into the corvette , I think the deaths per 100k miles would drop .
Its the person behind the wheel that makes the car safe or dangerous ,
more so than the car all by itself .
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:18 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Not to beat a dead horse to death but this is a link full of pictures of exotic wrecks and it certainly demonstrates the danger of high speed on public roads. "
I read a study about car safety a few years back . Worlds most dangerous car was the corvette , the safest was the volvo 740 wagon . The corvette had the highest deaths per 100k miles driven , the volvo the lowest . It was not the car but the driver that made them dangeous or safe . The corvette was smashed into things by the drivers . The volvo was not . The corvette driver thought they knew how to go fast when in fact they did not , took crazy risks and crashed . The volvo driver values safety , does not look for thrills while driving , doesn't crash much . If I drive within my abilities and allways put safety first , why not drive as conditions allow ?
Funny you mention that, because the number of crashes involving Volvos is historically quite high compared to other cars in general - some postulate that this is because Volvo drivers feel safer in their cars, and are therefore less worried about accidents (and more prone to have one). Interesting
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:18 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
That is my point.

It is not the p-car car or the p-car driver - with a fine car like a Porsche one does not have to worry about mechanical failure and with a Porsche driver that is paying attention (like all of us here do) one does not have to worry about their attention drifting.

I worry about the other driver's on the road who are more interested in applying their lipstick or drinking their morning coffee than their driving.

Marc
Agreed, you're exactly right.

Quick Reply: Speeding