Sponsored by:

91 964 C4 Cab Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:41 AM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 964 C4 Cab Carpet

I searched for "964 carpet" and didn't get what I wanted.

My carpeting is in rough shape (in my opinion at least), and I was considering replacing it all if there was a way to buy a "complete carpet pkg". Is there anywhere I can see what carpeting pieces are needed in a laid-out format - you know, all pieces laid flat in their relative positions? Is there a source for such things? My current carpet is black, like the leather seats, but I'm not necessarily married to replacing it with black.

Also, it looks like a lot of this stuff is glued down (and a messy job somebody did of it in some places). Is removing the old stuff going to be a problem? Is this issue better solved by doing something else than replacing the old?

Thanks!
Rod
Old 02-13-2006, 08:06 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw a listing for a cab carpet set on Evilbay the other day. It was all laid out and looks like a lot of pieces. Dont have time to look for the listing now.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Hey Rod,..
Yes, at least try the old fashioned way first...Wash it, scrub it, dry it, brush it, then vacume it. Then stand back and admire the improvements. I think most of us here have gone that route first. If you start tearing everything apart, there’s more under that carpet that you may not have seen yet. It's a very big project... There’s a lot of good products on the market, ie... Mother’s Carpet cleaner, it worked for me...
Welcome to the "964 Land", I'm a new'ish guy here myself,
Marc...
Old 02-13-2006, 04:22 PM
tafkai

hard work ............. i've done it
basiccally a full interior strip-down , then pull up the rear seat bottoms (these are glued as well !!)
then pull up every bit of carpet , clean the mess underneath , replace any foam trim that you damage when taking up the carpet , then re-glue the new carpet piece by piece .
then the rear seat bottoms . then bolt eveything back in .
i'd definately listen to marc !!!!
another tip is to "de-fluff" using a disposable razor , but i'm not responsible for you following my advice
Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-964-C2-C...QQcmdZViewItem
usual disclaimer. I make no money nor take any responsability for any fu_ck ups if you try to install or buy this carpet
Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 PM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it, see here for pics: LINK to post

I used Original Fit interiors...I used the original German Silvernit. Reasonable prices compared to others BUT it did take awhile to get to me. Before purchasing any kit I'd suggest having them send out samples of the carpet. One thing to keep in mind is the "stiffer" the carpet the harder it may be to mold to smaller pieces, such as the center console pieces. The total time it took me a good 2 days to completely pull the carpet and another 2 days to glue back in. EVERY piece of carpet is glued down.

-Puma
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 AM
f11
Instructor

Uh, holy crap! That's a LOT of carpet to pull and replace... it looked so simple when I looked around inside the cabin. I think I'll try Marc's suggestion before I dedicate that much time to a replacement effort.

Part of the reason for considering the replacement of the carpet is the car smells like a combination of hot machinery and a 250 lb furniture mover in a tank top in 105* heat who hasn't bathed in five days (no offense if I've managed to describe anybody here) - I can tolerate the hot machinery component, but the other part . I can't locate the source of the smell, although it seems to radiate up at me from the driver's footwell, down by the pedals, in waves from time to time. Is this "The Smell" everybody raves about? It sure doesn't do much for me...

Geezus, Jimq - I had no idea there were so many pieces... thanks for the heads up!!

Rod
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by f11
Uh, holy crap! That's a LOT of carpet to pull and replace... it looked so simple when I looked around inside the cabin. I think I'll try Marc's suggestion before I dedicate that much time to a replacement effort.
Part of the reason for considering the replacement of the carpet is the car smells like a combination of hot machinery and a 250 lb furniture mover in a tank top in 105* heat who hasn't bathed in five days (no offense if I've managed to describe anybody here) - I can tolerate the hot machinery component, but the other part . I can't locate the source of the smell, although it seems to radiate up at me from the driver's footwell, down by the pedals, in waves from time to time. Is this "The Smell" everybody raves about? It sure doesn't do much for me...
Geezus, Jimq - I had no idea there were so many pieces... thanks for the heads up!!
Rod
Remove the carpets that may already be de-glued, especially those up front...
You may have the dreaded, "HUMIDITY SMELLS", and let me tell you, ..
They are lethal... Open the car ideally in a warm area and let her breath...
Next time washing, check and then repair any leaks, which of course is another task, anyway that’s what I did...
Hope it works,
Marc...

PS... Do you really have a two year warranty from the seller?...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
tafkai

1 : how the f*** do you know what " a 250 lb furniture mover in a tank top in 105* heat who hasn't bathed in five days " smells like ???

2 : if the smell is coming from the pedal area , is it your feet that are smelly ???

3 : get a de-humidifier , and / or some silica gel packs and get rid of moisture in the car . any sodden pieces that are loose could be removed to dry any foam underneath . then get some citronella . you may get this at your local pet store , it masks smells rather than covering up with fragrance .

4 : most good valet companies have deepo-cleansing carpet cleaners .

5 : good luck
Old 02-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At some point I plan a complete interior refresh and did some research into prices. Two local outfits I dealt with to get quotes both suggested I pre-order the carpet from the same place:

http://www.worlduph.com/hubpagePORSCHE.htm
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 AM
f11
Instructor

Marc, yes I got a 2 year, 40000 km warranty when I purchased. The vendor is reputable and can offer this because historically his cars don't have problems after his mechanics have gone through them. Of course, this also allows him to charge a premium, so I suppose it balances out. No such thing as a free lunch.

The humidity in Edmonton in December January is about 15-25% - we actually humidify our homes in winter to prevent hardwood floors from self-destructing and make the house feel more comfortable. I don't think humidity is one of my current problems. I was down in the footwell this past weekend - no wet or even damp pieces, and nothing dead or dying under the carpet beneath the pedals.

tafkai, okay I took some poetic license. It smells quite bad, but not entirely mechanical - partially organic. The fact that it wafts up in waves, often when the windows are down, concerns me about its source. And nope, its not my feet. I'm going to try some deep steam cleaning as suggested earlier to see if that clears it up.

Thanks all for the suggestions - and no boats for me!
Rod
Old 02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f11
Marc, yes I got a 2 year, 40000 km warranty when I purchased. The vendor is reputable and can offer this because historically his cars don't have problems after his mechanics have gone through them. Of course, this also allows him to charge a premium, so I suppose it balances out. No such thing as a free lunch.

The humidity in Edmonton in December January is about 15-25% - we actually humidify our homes in winter to prevent hardwood floors from self-destructing and make the house feel more comfortable. I don't think humidity is one of my current problems. I was down in the footwell this past weekend - no wet or even damp pieces, and nothing dead or dying under the carpet beneath the pedals.

tafkai, okay I took some poetic license. It smells quite bad, but not entirely mechanical - partially organic. The fact that it wafts up in waves, often when the windows are down, concerns me about its source. And nope, its not my feet. I'm going to try some deep steam cleaning as suggested earlier to see if that clears it up.

Thanks all for the suggestions - and no boats for me!
Rod
Maybe a dead critter in there somewhere?

Quick Reply: 91 964 C4 Cab Carpet