Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Door panel sticky stuff?

Hi All,

Another question......

Well, I finally got the outer sealing felt that I was waiting for so put the new power window regulator back in the driver's door last night.

I also bought a new sealing plastic sheet for the inside of the door (see below) as the old one got torn taking it off.

When I applied the new plastic sheet though, it seems that some of the glue/sealant has dried and is not very sticky so the new plastic is not sticking or sealing as well as it should. I'd like it to stick well as I don't want a car full of water....

Any ideas what I can use to re-stick the plastic sheet inside the door? I need a glue that stays sticky so that the plastic can be removed in the future if needed. I thought of using rubber cement but wondered if other's had better ideas.

Thanks again.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2006, 11:45 AM
C H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just tape the edge?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Marc,..
For the same area and reasons I used a two sided glued tape made by "PLASTO". Apply and push the interior grey rubber tape edge where needed to the door’s surface and peel away the protective white plastic skin from the exterior grey rubber tape edge, and then of course lay your new clear Porsche protective sheeting to it. Provides a, semi-permanent sealing bind in rubber... At the same time, before the clear Porsche protective sheeting, while everything was cleaned and assessable I sprayed a protective film of humidity repelling clear spray made by "BRENER", to this general area to help avoid the one day, just may come,. Rust... I also changed the upper window metal/fabric seal to avoid leaks, that get to the speaker's cones, etc...

Hope I helped you a bit,
Marc...
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks - I'll try to find similar stuff locally.

Yes, I did change the upper metal/fabric (felt) seal as it was torn. I think that was what allowed water in and rusted the window channel (which I replaced). The same felt on the other side looks ok but I'll change it next time I have the passender door apart.

I coated what I could with Krown liquid undercoat inside the door too - but I saw no rust anywhere else.

Marc
Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thought I'd revive this thread...does anyone have any more advice on replacing the plastic sheeting? Can you just get the sheeting from Home Depot or the like? Any easily available tapes/glues to use?

I pulled mine off a while ago to weld up the door stay area on the driver's side. The sheeting looked like crap before, and when I stuck it back on afterwards I didn't get a great seal, which has bothered me. This weekend I plan to replace the front speakers/crossovers so thought I would replace the sheeting while I'm at it.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Stores that sell to body shops carry the tacky glue that stays that way for a long time. Best I recall, 3M makes it.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is referred to as stick caulk, or caulk sticks.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought the generic door panels from Automotion and regretted it as they were cheap and thin - tore easily.

For a few bucks more the OE peel and stick ones from Porsche were worth it.

Marc
Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Thanks....I didn't realize that the moisture barrier was an actual "part". I'll wander over to the dealer at lunch and see how much they are charging...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
jneteler
Racer

Oh this should be good...

Please tell us the price. Polyethylene resin sells for about 1.60 to 1.70USD/kg.

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made 2 new door membranes, cost nothing.
Used plastic, cut to shape and stuck on with 3m doublesided tape.
Without the membrane the panel gets damp, and sum moisture gets in the car.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Another option if you are not concerned with weight is to use a sound deadening material like dynamat. Of course a door of dynamat weights 5-10 pounds.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:21 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Back when I was a mgmt consultant, I did a lot of work around pricing of commodity polyolefins and the associated "value generation" that occurred when someone turned a a pound of plastic into something useful.

As it turns out, I need to go back and update my presentations, for I discovered today that Porsche leads the world in converting low-margin plastic sheeting into a high-margin product.

The price of the moisture barrier at the dealer? FIFTY-THREE DOLLARS for the driver's side and FIFTY-SEVEN DOLLARS for the passenger side.

Somewhat shaken, I decided not to ask how much the GT3 was, and, yes, I will be stopping by Home Depot on the way home to compare prices.

Quick Reply: Door panel sticky stuff?