Sponsored by:

Why a 964 over 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Saint-Vieux
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get both of the world, why one doesn't get a 964 w/ a 993 engine, preferably a Vram;-)..

Hey, why not?..

Anyone out there?..

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

"Anyone out there?"
Better still, for absolure perfection, a 964 with a 4 litre engine, 400 hp at 9,000 rpm, Vram and G50/21 trany with Guard LSD. Being built, right at this moment, at NineMeister.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kris
Tx for sharing that Chris, I really need to take a drive in a friend's C2S any time soon to compare my findings. Cheers.
ps: I saw JB Holmes at work on the PGA tournament in Scottsdale, he must be one of Kentucky's finest, great show
You are welcome to a drive with me any day... although days off are few and far between these days.

If you are very nice and post a Euro 75K bond, I'll let you drive it too
Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Tx JP, Porsche days are not that far away...
Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the 964 is the last 911. To me, the 993 is a separate species -- silky smooth, refined and wife-friendly, which is why I drive one (wife bought it). Sure, you can make it louder by slapping on some loud mufflers, but you can't replicate the complete "aircraft engine" sound. I can even imagine that a stock 964 might some day be more valuable than a stock 993.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up 993 For Me

As requested, I am a 993 owner "chiming in". Several have noted neglible power/speed differences. What is noticeably better is the 993's handling: much more stable and predictable. I do recognize that the price differential would allow for more upgrades on the 964, however.

I like the driving position better on the 964, the increased rawness, and almost bought a '91 964 Turbo instead (2 PPIs showed too much work was needed). I would guess the chance of a '96-'98 CEL issue is offset by the 964's valve adjustments' costs. Also, the mechanics I talked to all leaned toward 993s.

They're both great cars, but check out the current issue of GT Purely Porsche's article: "When Less is More" as it claims the 993 Carrera is the best sports car built.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

wife-friendly

Now really JP, comparing a 964 to a 993RS? Not fair!
Good to hear from some other 993 owners (JP doesn't count!).

c
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

... simply because i really like the front. I like the more squarish (especially when 20mm lowered) than the "sliding under" visual effect of the bumper fitted on the 993.. Just like when a lady is a little bit too much curvacious
As for the rear view, well it is a very difficult call.

also, i have to admit that $$$ as a role in my "964 decision' but not so much... otherwise i would have a 3,2L !

remember " le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"... a loose translation would be
"the best is the good's ennemy"... that should give the 993 owners food for thought
Old 02-24-2006, 12:18 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by JimOz
Hi Guys,

Looking at aupgrading to a 964 or 993 from a SC.

It is going to be a manual and preferably a coupe, I'm follically challenged and the top of my head does'nt need the sun.

I'd apprecuate your opinions ( apart from obvious that they are cheaper) as to the reasons for opting for ownership of a 964.

Thanks in anticipation and greetings from Australia.
Hey Jim...
The Sports Car Gods that Live in the Big Sky Above, are totally in charge of everything related to Automobiles for me. They calculated the true course for me to follow which led to a damp cold and mouldy garage in Bavaria... And there I found my 911/964...
Pretty smart Dudes those guys...

Thanks for asking,
Marc, et al...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
ebfox
Intermediate

My first 911 was a 78 SC that I owned for 16 years (it was like losing a family member when I sold it). Next I bought a 91 964 Targa, red and black; what a car! I read about 964 problems such as head leaks, distributor belt problems, etc. but other than an air cond leak this was a great car. It was like they took my 78 and civilized it, added creature comforts, but still made it fly. I loved that car.

Now I own a 97 993 coupe, red and cashmir, aerokit II. Sorry guys, but my 91 was a tinkertoy compared to this car. It is superior in fit, finish, power, handling, looks, you name it. Let me repeat- I loved my 964, it was a great car.

My advice to you would be buy what your budget can afford. If you are a value oriented person, the 964 is hard to beat. But the 993 is a better car and it is the ultimate air cooled 911.

I hope you can afford both.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 PM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Originally Posted by ebfox
But the 993 is a better car and it is the ultimate air cooled 911.

I hope you can afford both.
lots of wisdom in those words BUT the 964 is the ultimate "frog" body style and despite huge improvement in the handling department she kept some of the "lovable" default of the 964... poor ligthing, decorative wipers and a certain rawness compared to the 993.

i must admit i never drove a 993 though... well i did but it was an RS and on track so i guess it doesn't count. but i am fully open to a test drive!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MARC A. 964 C4
Hey Jim...
The Sports Car Gods that Live in the Big Sky Above, are totally in charge of everything related to Automobiles for me. They calculated the true course for me to follow which led to a damp cold and mouldy garage in Bavaria... And there I found my 911/964...
Pretty smart Dudes those guys...

Thanks for asking,
Marc, et al...
I think you should buy the 964 because it embodies the soul of what F. Porsche had designed and if you don't I think I will cry...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

And if you don't like me I think I may cry.

And if you don't approve of my country of residence I think I may cry
Old 02-25-2006, 04:10 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think you should buy the 964 because it embodies the soul of what F. Porsche had designed and if you don't I think I will cry...
And if you don't like me I think I may cry.
And if you don't approve of my country of residence I think I may cry
And if you hate France I think I may........ not sure yet, drop my weapon and run?
GaryR...
Exactly what are you trying to say? As is so often, you never really spit-it-all-out... Your comments on me and your watchful eyes on my posts have been the norm for many months... As resent as yesterday, and last week you passed comments/posts directly to/on me for reasons that are not clear... Do my comments/posts really intrigue you so much? I’ve already had my problems at Rennlist.com because I’m an American living in France, and have been the recipient of many hate mails and comments. I can not change that, France is now my Home, and this is where my Parents are at Peace... I’m married and I have a son... Believe it or not there are actually other Americans living here in France... Get this straight, I’ve had my share of politics, and the controversial decisions/policies of some already years ago, I no-longer live in that world, I changed my course on life... I live near/on the Ocean, for well over thirty years now. My goal in life was/is to get away from people like you. I hope one day you too will find the peace within yourself... It’s only human to try...
Now, that you have my thoughts... Will you please take your comments and opinions elsewhere, I never asked for them... I have lived without them/you for 58 years so far... And all is well...
Talk to me about the politics of Porsche but not about my life. I think that’s fair enough don’t you Gary...
Have a great weekend read...
All the best,
Marc...

PS... Dear moderators do not ban me again for attempting to communicate. Once again I refrained from vulgarity and simply defended myself. Once again I question the double standards of some that overlook this forum. I was banned for one week for saying less on the Off-topic forum... But if you must ban we again then so be it... I will always stand up for what I respect...

PSS. My apologies to the 964 Forum members, God knows I’m trying...
Old 02-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Who said anything about YOU Marc? You are an American last I knew, not a French citizen. Does this thread belong to you? Does the board belong to you? Be sure when you send a "formal complaint" as stated in the threatening email you sent me, to spell my name right.

Quick Reply: Why a 964 over 993