Sponsored by:

Spoiler deployment speed adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler deployment speed adjustment

Tried searching the forum but the search engine kept timing out on me....(sorry if this topic is previously covered)

Is there an adjustment for the spoiler deployment speed? Most of my driving is between 40-50 mph but with a lot of stop and go (traffic and lights). It would be nice if I could adjust my spoiler speed to 55 mph so that it only deploys on the highway.

Frank
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just engage the wing manually and keep it up when you are driving at low speeds. I do that all the time to avoid the fluctuation in the wing. I'm also guessing that Porsche designed the speed govenor to be tamper proof because they advertise the speed generated wing to be necessary for stabilization. I'm sure your local Porsche dealer should be able to tell you although my experience with Porsche dealer techs have been marginal at best. Someone on the this site will tell you the real facts.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think the speed at which the spoiler rises can be adjusted.

I installed a switch (following Garrett's pioneering efforts) that over-rides the speed control so the spoiler stays where I leave it - either up or down.

Marc
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
C H
Instructor

89-90 have a main and stby control. If the main does not deploy the spoiler the stby will atcivate it at 70 MPH(From what I have heard). I intend to disable the main so it does not extend at 50 and hopefully the stby will take over at 70 MPH.

There is also some other info on the newer modules that you can use the console switch to keep the spoiler up the entire time.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=spoiler
Old 02-01-2006, 05:19 PM
a964man
Instructor

Frank, i'm pretty sure you can get a different spoiler control unit that activates at a higher speed from Ruf
http://shop.ruf-automobiles.com/engl...D?lang=english

cheers Andrew
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

The RUF unit is the only one I know of. Not Cheap though.

I had a Volkswagon Corrado and the rear spoiler could be reprogramed easily by changing a resistor in the module box. cost about a dime to do it. I reprogramed mine to 60. Some guys would even wire in a trim pot to vary the speed at which it would deploy. I am not sure if the Porsche unit works on the same principle.

I mounted a RSA tail and no more anoying up and down tail every 5 minutes in traffic for me.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 PM
frankvan
Pro

CH from Winnipeg - is it possible to disable the main spoiler control unit and still have the standby work? Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the main unit feeds into the standby unit

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=spoiler

My car is an 89 without the manual control (in the cockpit at least) so disabling the main unit sounds like a possiblity. Right now I have it unplugged and everytime I hit ~70 kmh the big red ! comes on without any other warning lights.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
C H
Instructor

If you open the module there are 2 relays. The one furthest away from the connector is for up. My thought was to stick paper, or a piece of plastic between the contacts and that would disable it. Worth a try, Ruf module is like $400 US, this is free.

The Stby module is a small relay infront of the Cruise module, make sure your car has it installed.

Otherwise there is a post where a member removed the speed feed to the spoiler module and uses a switch to manually active the spoiler. I will be doing this if my idea fails.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I just drive the car, and don't notice the spoiler. Automatic controls are great. Why not leave the factory's system alone?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 AM
C H
Instructor

The reason some people want to stop the yo yo effect is the motor and gear system are prone to failure and very expensive.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:14 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Any reason not to just deploy the spoiler in the position of choice (up or down) and then disconnect the wire leaving it there?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Glad I read this forum, I thinks I will leave mine up once I start. But if am I am right once you hit the auto speed and come back down again, even the manual overide is over and it goes back down anyways?

I will check but does anyone know?

Sea Eagle
Old 02-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Any reason not to just deploy the spoiler in the position of choice (up or down) and then disconnect the wire leaving it there?
That is what Garrett has done. You can just pull two wires (I forget which but have it noted at home) from the connector and it stays either up or down with no warning light.

I installed a dashboard switch (where the headlight aiming switch goes) so I can choose either full manual control by the stock dash switch or automatic control.

Originally Posted by springer3
I just drive the car, and don't notice the spoiler. Automatic controls are great. Why not leave the factory's system alone?
I initially doubted the value of it when Garrett posted his findings but, after a few days at the track with the spoiler constantly going up and down, I was converted.

Originally Posted by seaeagle
Glad I read this forum, I thinks I will leave mine up once I start. But if am I am right once you hit the auto speed and come back down again, even the manual overide is over and it goes back down anyways?
Correct. Even if you manually put it up or down, once the system cycles through a speed at which it is supposed to move automatically, it will revert to automatic operation.

Marc
Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Chrisw_05
Instructor

HI - I followed my friend the other day who has a 996. This spolier deploys at 75MPH and re-deploys at 40MPH. Not sure if you could use / swap out the same unit on the 964 but I thought it was worth a reply.

Chris W.
--------------------------
964 C2 1991 GP White.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Thanks for the kudos, Marc!

For those interested, here's the link to making your rear spoiler controllable only by the dash switch - not based on speed. It takes about 5 minutes to do, and is completely reversible, and hard to screw up!

I think it works great! I like to control it - I put it up when I want it, and down when I want it; no warning lights, no "yo-yo" effect - and one other thing, it costs $0!!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/206777-spoiler-behavior-change-making-it-switch-activated-only.html

Quick Reply: Spoiler deployment speed adjustment