Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greenjt
Hi All, I used to frequent Rennlist years ago... First when looking for my 964 and then for some time after acquiring it. Used to spend far far too much time surfing here. The kids got older, the career more demanding and the garage is about to get fuller. I unfortunately don't have much time for the cars anymore. So i am considering selling my 91 c2 Targa and wondering if anybody has an idea of the market for the Targa relative to Coupes/Cabs.

Mine's black/tan with ~105,xxx. Purchased it about 10 years ago with something like 82,xxx. My 11 year old son wants me to keep it for him but thinking about other options. Thanks.

jg
Without pictures or more information such as history, current conditions inside and out and service records
I'd value it between 10k to 40k
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 AM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Without pictures or more information such as history, current conditions inside and out and service records
I'd value it between 10k to 40k
THanks Norse_man... but i was really asking about relative valuation between the variants. There weren't many Targas produced so therefore fewer sales/data points. So i am wondering how targas fit along the pricing continuum relative to coupe/cab, not necessarily what my car is worth.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

THanks Norse_man... but i was really asking about relative valuation between the variants. There weren't many Targas produced so therefore fewer sales/data points. So i am wondering how targas fit along the pricing continuum relative to coupe/cab, not necessarily what my car is worth.
Targa's are a tough call. They have always been the least desirable to the average buyer who is looking for a coupe and are not a true open air car like a cab. However there are those out there that prefer the targa as a best of both worlds and I have seen an increased interest in them especially now that Porsche released its latest targa. With around 1400 or so made for the US market they aren't super rare but I think if your car is in nice to excellent condition with all records there is no reason it shouldn't fetch what a decent coupe or cab would assuming you are willing to hold out until you find the right targa buyer.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:54 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from limited models like Cup and RS cars, the Coupe C2 Manual has the highest value. Manual models are always more expensive then Tip. C2 are more expensive than C4 cars. A Coupe is always more expensive than Targas and Convertibles.

But I agree with your son
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
Apart from limited models like Cup and RS cars, the Coupe C2 Manual has the highest value. Manual models are always more expensive then Tip. C2 are more expensive than C4 cars. A Coupe is always more expensive than Targas and Convertibles.

But I agree with your son
Although that is the standard rule there are always exceptions. I was trying to buy this 91 C2 Cab a little over a year and half ago and the seller would not budge on price. He eventually got his $44k for it. At the time those numbers were unheard of.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Although that is the standard rule there are always exceptions. I was trying to buy this 91 C2 Cab a little over a year and half ago and the seller would not budge on price. He eventually got his $44k for it. At the time those numbers were unheard of.
Agree. Also, for the most part the selling price difference lately between comparable excellent original condition standard Cabs and Coupes is not as far apart as some seem to make it out to be.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Norse_man
Racer

Hi All, I used to frequent Rennlist years ago... First when looking for my 964 and then for some time after acquiring it. Used to spend far far too much time surfing here. The kids got older, the career more demanding and the garage is about to get fuller. I unfortunately don't have much time for the cars anymore. So i am considering selling my 91 c2 Targa and wondering if anybody has an idea of the market for the Targa relative to Coupes/Cabs.

Mine's black/tan with ~105,xxx. Purchased it about 10 years ago with something like 82,xxx. My 11 year old son wants me to keep it for him but thinking about other options. Thanks.

jg
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141589838744
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I do wonder about the levels of prices.

We have had many types of 911s in the family. Currently a 964 C2 Coupe manual and a 993 C2 Coupe Tip. Both are valued at about the same.

I can attest though that the manual is heck of a lot more fun and that makes the value difference clear, when compared to equal cars.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

So i am considering selling my 91 c2 Targa and wondering if anybody has an idea of the market for the Targa relative to Coupes/Cabs.
http://www.intersportautosales.com/1...7/Details.aspx

i prefer the look and practicality of the coupes but there's no denying the targa production numbers make it comparatively rare.

Last edited by speedbagger; 03-26-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbagger
http://www.intersportautosales.com/1...7/Details.aspx

i prefer the look of the coupes but there's no denying the targa production numbers make it comparatively rare.
If it were an interesting color and/or low miles/special options, I could see getting closer to their asking price but $47K is ridiculous for an average miles '91 GPW. For reference, 2 black ones sold 4 months ago (asking $25K on both), a silver one sold last month (asking $29K), and I just missed on another black last week at asking price of $26K (was second in line). I agree that Targas are not as common as Coupes/Cabs but they are out there, it just takes time.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will always be the outlier, and quality will always be King. The long term prices still stand that manuals are worth more than tips, Coupes sell for more than Targas and Convertibles, and 2s are more valuable than 4s.

The new kids (and I'm not that old) will likely want tips..hence is why I'm keeping my Tip tranny (not that I could sell it) so things will likely change in the future...but last time I checked we are here and now.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I think another thing needs to be considered as well. 91's sell on average more than 89-90's and 92-94 are fetching even more. Yes they are essentially the same but this is similar to the 928GTS market where they made 411 from 92 (1st gen 93 in US) through 95. The 170 5 speeds (any year) fetch more than the autos but follow this scale. The 95's will on average see 10% more over a comp 94 and the 94 between 10-15% more than the second gen 93 then 5% less for the 1st gen 93. They essentially are all the same with minor changes made in 94. Adjust for mileage condition and rarity of color combo.

I have seen some pretty average 93 and 94 964's C2's sell towards the low end of the RSA market privately so there are buyers out there that will pay up for the rarity and changes made to the later cars.

This being a 91 might see a bit more than a comp 89-90 which is what is mostly seen selling publicly.

As the market gets further out of control little things can make a huge difference to the buyer.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
There will always be the outlier, and quality will always be King. The long term prices still stand that manuals are worth more than tips, Coupes sell for more than Targas and Convertibles, and 2s are more valuable than 4s.
Agree and you have them listed in the right order. The biggest price diff is that manuals are worth more than tips. There's a smaller price diff between coupes vs targas and cabs. And the price diff between C2 and C4 is even less. This is of course for comparable condition and mileage cars.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to list the car, please post the link here.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

I just spotted this on the local craigslist.

Lowest priced 964 I have seen in a long time.

1990 C4 cabriolet. Needs some work. $21,500 in Kirkland, WA (near Seattle)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4978968505.html

Quick Reply: 964 Prices