Sponsored by:

Racecar Project - Front Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - Front Trunk

I was asked previously for a picture of the front trunk area, but at that time it was largely a mess. Here is the trunk mostly completed. I have a 17 gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell. Initially I was planning on cutting a hole in the hood for the filler neck, but couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the hood. I didn't want the fender filler assembly because getting the fiberglass parts to fit properly is just too much of a pain.

After Rob Lynch posted pictures of the Matter GT2 Evo bar he purchased it made me really want one. I went as far as finding the tubing and making a model to make one, then found the Fabspeed was replicating them. Having seen both, I can say that the Fabspeed is as identical as you can get. These bars are non adjustable, very light weight and very strong. They also simply look great too.

You can see the routing for the shock reservior canisters. My friend who made the carbon pieces also made me some mounting brackets out of carbon fibre which fit very nicely.

I have also decided to run a small battery and had a battery box built to hold a dry cell type which weighs only 11lbs. Initially I wanted the battery box in the stock battery location, but there just isn't enough clearance for the lid between the shock reservior and the hydraulic pump. I decided that mounting directly in the center of the trunk made the most sense.

At the back you can see the carbon fibre block off plate for the HVAC hole and the nozzle for the fire system.

About the only thing left to complete is the installation of the front air jack and to run the air jack line.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geoffrey... Forgive me if you've answered this before, but will you have a space-saver spare in there? (I wouldn't think so.) If not, how will / did you strengthen the front end?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Very nice, Geoffrey! How many gallons does your Fuelsafe hold? I've been thinking of changing mine out for one that holds more capacity.....for cross country driving. I've heard that they do not connect to the outside fender and also don't have provisions for cockpit gauge connections. Enlighten us...pleeease.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The only chassis strengthening that was done was the seam welding. I am not running the front 5mph bumper support so I guess I had better not hit anything.

Fuel Safe sells a 17 gallon which is what I have and I believe is the same capacity as a stock tank. It has provisions for a stock sending unit which you can see on my tank and will accept the factory filler. They also sell a 27 gallon and 32 gallon tank which are racing only and I don't believe have provisions for the factory filler.

If you want to increase the capacity, I would recommend buying the factory 92 litre (27 gallons???) extended range tank option (option M545) which is a direct fit. The 964 tank has been superceeded to a 993 part number, but I know they work as I've installed them recently in a Cup car.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I found the following on the PCA website... I hope it's okay to post here. I thought the idea of a longer range tank would be pretty neat too. It looks like it's ROW though.

M545 was the 92 (24 gals) liter fuel tank option, and M544 was the 75 liter tank (20 gals). Unfortunately this was not (is not) an option on the US version of the 993.

My understanding of the difference is that (like the 996) the ROW version could hold more fuel than the US version. The US version was limited by the DOT rollover requirement. This has to do with not spilling fuel in a rollover. The rollover requirement is implemented in a way that reduces the fuel capacity. You can convert your car but technically it is not legal, and besides it is not safe when you're done. Cost-wise I think it is something like $1000 to $2000 parts and labor. It is NOT a do-it-yourself project. The expansion chamber is different, as is some of the plumbing obviously. Lastly, I do not believe the US dealers would be willing to sell you the correct fuel tank, so you are looking at shipping a large bulky item in from overseas.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 3/8/2004
Old 01-07-2006, 03:07 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys. My tt has become more thirsty since it grew hair and claws. I think it would be a good idea to upgrade to the 993 fuel tank.

thanks again, Jaime
Old 01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, my 700hp 911 Turbo got more than 400 miles to a tank (21 gallons) on the highway.

I think the conversion would be perfectly safe and it isn't a terribly difficult job and nothing more than basic tools are required. I'd rate it a 4-5 out of 10 on the difficulty meter. The difference between the two tanks is that the "nose" of the 92l tank is higher to accomodate the extra 8 gallons or so. You do need the tank, the protective cover, a new strap and 1 new vent hose (about 12" in length).
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey when you removed the AC and heat parts in the truck did you fashion any ducting for fresh air into the cockpit ? I've seen a kit from smart racing that sends air into the cockpit through the clock hole in the dash.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 100 liter (27 gallon) fuel safe fuel cell that uses the fender fill location and accomodates the factory sender. It just got installed and we have not yet worked out the "calibration" of the sender for the cell, but I got through last weekend without running out of gas. I got the bigger cell for if/when I run enduros.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

do you have any cockpit cooling running into the car from the cowl ?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a single duct that runs from the front bumper into the cockpit for air out of the central dash vent. I also have a Cool Suit with the ice chest mounted in the front trunk, just in front of the gas tank (lines run through the fire wall and over to the driver door area to hook up to the shirt). Mine is mounted in front as I need the passager seat to give rides to students (otherwise ditch the passenger seat and mount it on the floor there).
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

yeah i was thinking of ditching the pass seat but sometimes i do take people out for fun runs. I can get the ice box behind the pass seat it's just tight

thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
yeah i was thinking of ditching the pass seat but sometimes i do take people out for fun runs. I can get the ice box behind the pass seat it's just tight
Have to have a seat in for C class...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I do not have any cooling for the interior of the car. I may put some in because with the windows it sometimes gets a little warm in there.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

i was wondering where the 964 through 996 cup cars get the feed for the aluminum ducting you always see zip tied to the driver's side a piller roll cage bar. It come through the factory airvent area but from where ?

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Front Trunk