Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't like the sound of this (at all...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Is there ANY way to know if the squirters are functioning properly short of bearing damage?"
Maybe if you had a set up like this. But I do not know for sure .
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/250062-racecar-project-gauge-cluster.html
Old 02-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sal 965
John,

Any updates? I saw Colin Belton at the Autosport show where he, whilst talking about some upgrades to help me keep up in Wales, said your car was still in bits in the workshop.
Keep up with *what* exactly.....
Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Hi, all.

The only update is 'nothing happening'. 9M say the engine should reach its turn for rebuild next week. I'm going to start pushing them a bit from Monday. As it is now, I don't think I'll ever know what became of that locking pin...
John....good luck with 'pushing' 9M on *any*thing....
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
Keep up with *what* exactly.....

Christer,

The Roadmeister, as JB is known, is mighty quick!! (Wikkid911 isn't too shabby either)

Now it seems that over 400 hp isn't enough - Colin has convinced me i need new headers, a hybrid turbo and some other things i've banished to the back of my memory banks. All i remember is the £££££'s and the date being around April with the car needed for "a few weeks". Any salt pinches required on the timings??
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 450 Likes on 210 Posts

Not a problem as long as you remove the tax, send off a SORN and cancel your insurance I'll give you Colins mobile number, you might be able to get hold of him then (only kidding Colin )
078...................................... Second thoughts,when your cars been in there a couple of months and you're getting desparate we'll negotiate a figure
Old 02-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Christer,

The Roadmeister, as JB is known, is mighty quick!! (Wikkid911 isn't too shabby either)

Now it seems that over 400 hp isn't enough - Colin has convinced me i need new headers, a hybrid turbo and some other things i've banished to the back of my memory banks. All i remember is the £££££'s and the date being around April with the car needed for "a few weeks". Any salt pinches required on the timings??
So basically, give JB your car and no one will ever see him again?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Let's try it...
Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys but if it were my engine and I was spending "those kinds of denaro$" I'd wana know what caused the valves to contact the pistons before buttoning it up! I don't know 9M personally but from what I read they sound very competant - surley they can give you some explanation as to why this happened or else give you a pretty good guarantee it won't happen too soon after they give it back!

Just a thought
Bill
90C2
Old 02-02-2006, 01:46 PM
rodders
Racer

kris - I bought the car new in Oct 1989 - lost the engine at 120,000 miles - 2nd main bearing broke up - shrapnel through-out !
Replace with a 28,000 mile engine - full history from PBG - damaged this engine through a medical mishap - I overrevved, stationary in neutral
( fainted thro a flu virus and sever dehydaration - a diet of Boddingtons and Expresso !! )
The wear to the 2nd main was found on routine inspection when the engine was striped down.
No prior warning - engine has done 50,000 miles on semi synthetic
first engine was on mobile 1
Have I just been sitting under the seagull crapper or what !!
Maybe it is the Cheshire air - the first engine was rebuilt in Wilmslow and the second came from Douglas valley - the first engine was perfect other than the bearing !
same with the second
Some one some where must have an idea other than bird **** !!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Tx Rodders. I hope you used up all of your bad luck on your car. Nice to see that you're still a die-hard fan after all of this. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
rodders
Racer

kris - if you want a sign of my real dedication i will post a pic of my wife's 1974 viper green Sporto !
with a 3.0 engine it goes like a dead duck - and makes the 964 seem positively state of art - which i of course it is !
I have conquered the intricacies of gear stick micro switches and air con in 1974 was a bit special - the pain and problem solving probably has equipped me to run a small country !
With a green sporto you need more than luck
Old 02-03-2006, 11:12 AM
rodders
Racer

Indycam asks the question - but before an answer comes I am going back to semi synthetic - any strong recommendations - without prejudice - of course !!!!
I am also going to 6 month oil changes - over reaction ?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:07 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the global understanding of the current 9m workload. Unfortunately we have 2 full time engine builders Mark & Paul, and between them they have despatched four complete 911 engine rebuilds and three stripdowns in January alone, so it is most unfortunate that JB's engine mashap fell into our busiest engine build period ever, but we will be doing our best to accomodate his unforseen extra work. So I'm asking you to please (ok pretty please) give us a break, good technicians don't grow on trees and the ones we have can only do one job at a time. That said I am looking for another good guy if anyone is interested, but until then we can only do our best, ok?

To compound the problem I came in this morning to find both Paul & Mark awol with a dose of the lurgy and Robin having a day off, so what do I do? I get our remaining young technician Neil to drop everything else to strip down and clean JB's head assemblies in preparation for Mark to start the rebuild next week. You see I do care after all.

As for the ultimate cause of the failure, my guess is that a foreign body got between the chain and the intermediate shaft sprocket to cause the chain to slip a tooth, and it was the valve stopping on the piston that shock loaded the drivetrain and spit the pin out from the vernier sprocket.

The engine is down to the case and is absolutely fine (no bearing problems, no ring problems) apart from the obvious oil leaks from the old style barrel/head joints. The decision to make is should the engine go back together with the old barrels or not? I could do with you calling in next week John to look over all the parts and go through your options, then we'll have it back together pretty soon after, let me know when you can make it.

By the way, I have not avoided updating everyone on Rennlist - I was locked out following a discussion of our billet heads on the 993 forum and had to wait for sponsorship clearance which has taken nearly 5 weeks. The good news is that I can now talk about anything I like, which is cool.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Glad your back !
Whats lurgy ?
Whats the pin look like ? Photo of pin ?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Indycam,

As Colin is probably resting after a busy sounding week I can cover lurgy which is an English word for a crappy cold, typically involving flu like symptoms. He can cover the technical stuff. ;-)

Cheers,

David

Quick Reply: I don't like the sound of this (at all...)