Sponsored by:

Racecar Project - Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - Gauge Cluster

I begun the final piece of the interior which is the gauge cluster and driver's information center. I have a fully programmable MoTeC Advanced Data Logger (ADL) which will serve serve a number of functions.

1) This is the only gauge in the car. It replaces ALL other gauges.
2) It is a CAN device and will communicate with the other CAN devices in the car such as the ECU, lap beacon, tire pressure/temp sensors, and any other CAN device that is installed.
3) It has 50 built in input/output channels which will be used for things like brake pressure, shock position, fuel level, oil level, gearbox temp, g-force, steering angle, etc.
4) It is fully programmable for the display and pages, input/output functions, warning alarms. It has a highly sophisticated math functions and you can generate your own channels and use them in the programming
5) It has 8mb of memory for logging channels from devices attached to the ADL or from CAN devices such as the ECU.
6) It will run the shift light "Christmas tree" which is mounted above the dash. This will light the outside 2 lights (green), then the next pair (yellow), then the next pair (yellow), and finally the middle three (red) and are programmed based on engine and gear. With the new Version 3 software, the ECU can also be programmed for a different rev limits based on gear.
7) Although I'll not use it, this dash has the telemetry option which allows pitside communication with the car in real time.

What does this buy you? Well, it allows the driver to concentrate on driving. For instance, you no longer need to check gauges because the dash has warning alarms programmed in. If the oil pressure drops, the light will light, and unlike an idiot dash light or simple gauge, you can program the warning light to light if the oil pressure drops below say 85psi at 8000, 77 at 7000, 66 at 6000 etc. So once you know what the oil pressure should be (by logging it), you can program in the warning alarm based on what it is suppose to be normally.

There are some additional switches and LEDs that need to be placed in the panel which should be complete later this week.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Brings tears to the eyes.... jealous tears. What can one say, UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

So then, instead of the telemetry option you used the dash cel-phone ?/ ;-) Relly nice set set up - but for some reason I still like the analog gauges, warning system and shift light sound great though. I think the next future step will be to take it from a visual information system to a verbal/audio computer interface with a helmet connection
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Porsche Doc
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Man!
Looks good.
Why didn't ya use CF instead of the alum?
Here's a crapy pic.

Last edited by Porsche Doc; 11-02-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don, Looks good, nice an clean which is important. What was the thought process behind the switch covers for the toggle switches?

Here is the final assembly of the dash.

Last edited by Geoffrey; 02-01-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful, Geoffrey! Very clean and purposeful.

I can see your "hands-free" phone is all ready to go, in the first picture ...

Glenn

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Gauge Cluster