Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Monday; what have you learned??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's Monday; what have you learned??

I learned I'd rather swap suspensions than tile floors; but both are done for now. I've got another 2 floors to do before Xmas if possible. Anyone want to help?

Our local PCA chapter holiday party is this Saturday, and it should be the formal announcement of my election to the board.

Our car will probably not see roads again until spring. The rain we're having keeps the salt off the roads, but I have no way to wash the car after getting it all covered with crap if we continue with the wet stuff.

so what about you; what have you learned over the weekend?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:41 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I just wrote about you, and I thank you, and thanks for asking!!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned I need to stay on top of my Porsche a little more. I wanted to go out for a drive and the battery was dead! (Well... Not dead... But it wouldn't turn over.) I hadn't driven it in about 10 days but was driving it all the time prior to that. The times now will be few and far between as winter sets in. Anyway... I put it on the trickle charger so it's out in the garage soaking up juice.

I also learned that the latest batch of Champagne (Or Sparkling Wine for you purists) that I made is actually a bit more alcoholic than I thought. I haven't measured it with a hygrometer yet but there were several people who almost went face down in the gravy over Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:11 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Hey Smoken, get Porsche's Trickle Charger!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I think the one I have is made by Schumacher. It's designed to fit right beside the battery. It slowly charges the battery then cycles it.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I want a pic of you!.. I want to see who it is that I'm talking to, I posted a corny thread.. No this is current to cigarette lighter. Get's it up and stays there, in an electrical way of speaking. It does not fry the battery, I have no problems for a year now with it. Made by Porsche, I'll go into the garage and get the numbers.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

ARE YOU READY?...GENUINE ORIGINAL PARTS...980 611 980 00 .....in German written on the paper grey box is: 1 LADEGERAET...You understand it's the size small transformer, and so easy to use, std. eqt. on the 996 AND 997 AND BOXSTERS, all those cars are dead the next day, too much drain, etc. Hope I helped a buddy! Ask Md. Porsche,...
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

A pic of me?... Well I'll describe myself. If you take the body of Sylvester Stallone when he was at his buffest in the "Rocky" movie series and crossed that with Jean-Claude Van Damme when he starred in "Bloodsport" and then you added a few years... Then you added a nice tan... If you took all that and added it together... I wouldn't look anything like that!

Actually my wife says that John Travolta could be my brother. I see a little of what she's talking about but then she's supposed to see the good in me, right?

EDIT-Sorry... This should have been posted in the other thread... Let's get back to what we have learned!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:34 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I started a thread," SHOW YOUR TRUE COLOURS", check it out, me with grey hair! But it's mine...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I learned how to put the car up on jackstands, safely. I took off the rear undertray, and then carefully jacked the car up by the engine (after searching the archive a lot) then placing the car on the jackstands. I also found out my rear shocks (or maybe springs) are just shot. The car is sagging in the rear. This is apparent when I bring the car down off the jack, the car is about an inch higher than after a drive. Not to worry, my new suspension will be here today!

I learned that just switching out random exhaust parts is not the way to go to add HP. I checked out Tom W's posts regarding his tests with various combinations of g-pipe, headers, and primary exhaust swaps. There is also good information in the PCA tech archives.

I learned that the Cup II's wheels from the 993 Carreras are pretty light, I like the look, so I ended up buying a used set from a guy on the PCA site, ETA tomorrow! I will throw some MPSC's on them for the track and keep the d90's packed away for that 'orig look'.

TODO:
- figure out how to replace the F shocks w/o having to rebleed my brakes (possible?)
- fix the clip on my side panel rocker panel thingi
- remove the rear seats, and get a lightweight battery.
- next weekend is the suspension swap.

That list should have me learning a lot for next Monday.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this monday , i've learned that ..................
a carrera 2 in the snowy streets of manchester is fun !!!
a carrera 2 cabrio in the snowy streets of manchester with no heater is NOT fun !!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That driving a C4 on snow is fun until the Back end spins around and you slide towards the curb.
That isnt fun
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I went Chriustmas shopping this weekend and learned that they really should not hire new/temp staff at stores who have no clue at the busiest time of the year.

On a related note, I also learned that my wife wants an mp3 player for Christmas for when she is running so ordered her an Apple Nano. Excellent - one gift off the list!

Marc
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harmon kardon are ready to release a new i-pod car controller .
i got one on order , remote screen and remote control **** , so i-pod can be hidden in glove box etc.
you can then steal the wifes ipod and have a very big cd changer for the car !!!!
well , it is the thought that counts , isn't it ???
Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I learned that having the correct tools makes the job of stripping the engine down very easy. Going to take the cams/heads/cylinders off this week. Hopefully will learn what caused the bearing to disintegrate by the weekend.

Getting the tools from a fellow rennlister with much sage advice thrown in is priceless!

Quick Reply: It's Monday; what have you learned??