1990 C4 or 1991 C2 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 1990 C4 or 1991 C2 ??

First post here so bear wioth me.

I have ben looking for my first P-car for a few years and orignally was looking at the SC's and Carrera's.

My backround is the Aircooled VW's and some of the Watercooled VW's (Late 2000 models) I still have my 73 Thing purchased back in 1989 still on the road.

I spotted 2 964's at a Porsche shop near me and have decided they might be more practical for every day use. (About 8,000 per year in Raleigh NC) and my 2 girls are both out of car seats now.

Here are the choices:

1991 C2 Black 100564 miles
1990 C4 Marine Blue 96900 Miles

The C2 is only $1,000 more then the C4.

Both are in perfect shape with all records of service.

I'm just worried about high maintenace costs after seeing indiviuals selling there Porsches with $15,000 in recepts for repairs and maint. Then again the late model VW's with the 1.8 motors start eating away at your wallet with waterpumps seizing early clutch failers (1,200 to 1,800 job) timing belt tensioners failing, coilpacks, Power steering hose leaks,turbos, insta-drop windows,CV's etc.

I probably would do most of the maint myself or have my brother help out since he was invovled with rebuilding Porsche 911 motors many years ago.

Thanks everyone .

John

Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 AM
brookewebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choose the C4 everytime - lower mileage and cheaper + more predictable handling! Although you will have a mental gulp as you pass the 100k mileage mark. Not too sure about Marine Blue though - is that metallic?

If you are worried about maintenance costs then look the other way when you pass the porsche shop because there is no avoiding the cost of spares on these things! I console myself with the fact that the car won't depreciate like a modern sports car so you have to weigh up spending $3000 a year on maintenance or loosing it on depreciation on a newer car - at least that's what i tell the wife! At least this way you get to own a porsche, right?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

C2 if you use it in fair weather. If its a daily driver also in the winter C4.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

My vote goes for the C2... less stuff that could go wrong, less need for a Hammer to do work on it, less weight, etc.

Do a PPI and validate everything is in order. Depending on the engine number of the C2 they both fall under the headleak range. See if the previous owners have proof of head work to update the car (unless these are a pair of the few that did not suffer from leaks).
Old 11-21-2005, 10:39 AM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You will find fans of both here. I prefer the C2. Which one do you like better?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to drive them both!
A lot of the criticism about the 964 C4 comes from people who hasn't driven them at all.
I've owned both and I have driven them both on racetracks and on regular roads and as an everyday sportscar I think the 964 C4 is hard to beat.
You get a car which performs strongly, which doesn't punish you for every little mistake you make on the road and which is really driveable in all climates, seasons you can think of.
If you would make a dedicated racecar you may want to ditch the AWD (but there are Rennlisters who race C4s too...) but otherwise...
I think there are alot of drivers who could have owned their 964 for many years not knowing if it's a C2 or a C4...

Now, got get that TESTDRIVE!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto all above, but I vote for the C4. FYI, I bought my C4 this summer and have put 1,100 miles on it. The cost has been around $.75-$1.00/mile (waiting on my last bill-car in shop as I write)...sans fuel. I have had all work done at a local Porsche shop. With my current "bankroll", I would look elsewhere for a daily driver.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Both cars have essentially the same mileage and are about the same age. It's all going to come down to which car is in better shape. You're lucky you have two choices (presumably) close by to compare and if they are both in similar condition, you've got a great way to compare a C2 and a C4.

Like brookewebb mentions above, if you are not prepared to dump $1500 to $3000 per year into these cars or can't do all your own work, then an older 964 (or any Porsche) with some miles is probably not for you. These cars are built well and designed well, but they are aging and stuff breaks.

Clutch replacement can run over $2000, A/C repairs are expensive, Central Control Units are nearing (or over by now??) $1000 for a factory part, etc. etc.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 11-21-2005, 11:30 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I am sure there is a better mechanical one of the two. C2 vs C4 is not a bit deal IMHO unless you are dealing with a snow situation.

Get into the details;

- vent kits done?
- compression tests?
- was clutch replaced? With LUK?
- was tranny replaced? why? with what?
- read the codes under the hood.. is there any other differences in options that you might like?
- leaking? Yes, but from where?
- which car had the most maintenance completed?
- call the shop where the maint was done and ask them about the car.

A full PPI should reveal who is the better mechanical car, then just factor that with the one that you like better. I have been told to factor $2500/$3000 each year for maint. But the car is not depreciating too fast or at all now, so it's still better off than my newer cars in that regard.

Last but not least, go drive em. A smile will form, and you can not wipe it off. It just gets bigger and bigger. Hope this helps some.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

On a personal level, the C2 must be the one, nothing in the world matches the feeling of 'making progress' with the rear wheels digging in and pushing your car forward, and you backward, into the seat.
Cheers.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Considering that both of the mentioned Porsches are over fifteen years old, I for one would consider not on, which model to buy but rather, which car to buy specifically. Think back how long ago a decade and a half is, many episodes in the, LIFE OF TWO PORSCHE 911/964, have taken their course of ware and tear on these Sports Cars. Get a Porsche Expert to help you with your choice, I think you need it, the mistakes are very expensive, this is not a "VW 113/1" made by Ferdinand, but a Porsche made by Ferry. One was mass produced and the other limited. Good things aren’t cheap and cheap things aren’t good,... I wrote an article down on page 2, read it, perhaps it may help you in saving at least, one dollar?....Repost for others..... Good luck, we’ll try to help you!.... Marc

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 11-22-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats for the replies everyone.
Both Porsches are for sale at the same location and have been serviced there so I can do a side by side comparo. I'll check them off on my day off tommorrow. The roads will probably be wet so I'll see how they both perform.

What is the average clutch mileage life on these things?
I have not killed a clutch yet in my 20 years of driving.

Don't worry, I won't drive off with one without an independent PPI

Thanks !!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
What is the average clutch mileage life on these things?
I would guess that average clutch life on a street driven car would be in the 60,000 mile range. Clutches can go over 100,000 with highway driving and / or an operator that is aware of how to correctly drive a manual transmission equipped car. Clutches in Porsches are pretty durable and are not typically a weak point.

However, these cars in question are older and have high mileage, so either:
A) the clutches have been replace previously and are still good for many miles, B) have not had a clutch replacement yet and that repair is looming, or C) the clutches have been replaced, but a clutch replacement still might be looming due to age or misuse after the new clutch was installed.

Jay
90 964
Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
p993targa
Advanced

I have owned both the 964 C4 and 964 C2 variants, haven't driven the C2 in the snow yet but we do get that much where I live in England anyway; but when it did snow the C4 did not cope with getting up my driveway or the local roads that well.

I must say that I have found the C2 more agile.

I think you need to drive them both and take it from there.

After a break of 5 years from my original C4 and coming back to a 964 after a string of unreliability with the 996 I was open to buying both; I picked mine because of condition and history.

Mark
Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy whichever is faster !

Quick Reply: 1990 C4 or 1991 C2 ??