Sponsored by:

Looking to get my 1st porsche need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
fatboyq
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get my 1st porsche need some advise

My budjet is around 13-17k that being said what is the best porsche I can get? or what porsche should I get. I want the most reliable and trouble free model.

should I choose:
84-86
87-89 with the better tranny
90-94 new shape 964 non hand assembled body
95+ probably will find none for less than $26k

I like the new 90+ design and the fact it has abs and airbags for safety, and better AC which the wife will appreciate.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

be sure to budget some cash for post purchase costs. In terms of a 964 ('89-94), with that budget yo are probably looking at a car with reasonably higher mileage, and perhaps needing a fix or two. But it can be done, just keep looking and be patient.

I am not sure about the pre'89 models.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

What another Porsche to rate, my answer of 12 hours ago should work towards any car in general, the advice remains the same, IF IN DOUBT, ASK A PRO FOR HELP, but it's really up to you to write the check,.. The most reliable ?......About two inches long, plastic,and still sold by Porsche,..A scale model,..Just a joke,..Let me ask you, what's the best stock to buy on Wall St. today? The answers to your question and mine are impossible to answer, at least for me, good luck, by the way how old are you? At almost 58, I see the world through my eyes, they lead me,.. good luck,..
Marc.

My answer this morning:

From the pics, especially the engine bay which for my thinking is a signature to the owner's passion for this '92 964C2, protected seats, what looks to be a clean car through out and well equipped already, the mileage if backed up by service records, I like the garage, neat like the car, sounds like an honest guy, but, in the end, HOW DO YOU FEEL?????IS THIS THE ONE?????It's like so many things, but in the end it's that inner voice, what does it say? This is going to become your mistress, is your heart beating faster, follow your instincts,. In France, this car is worth 20,000 +-EUROS= $24,000, so the price is good in the USA. BUT YES!!!!!There will be surprises, so have a reserve, there's always something to repair, replace or service,. LOVE IS NOT FREE, but you sure will have a lot of fun! At my site, page 4, this is what was done to my 964 in Germany, maybe helps? Good luck from me, let us know. And, remember this is also a man that knows things about this car that "YOU DO NOT KNOW!!!!!" IF IN DOUBT, ASK A PRO FOR HELP,..
Marc A
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

"Looking to get my 1st porsche need some advise"

see your therapist...... soon!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyq
My budjet is around 13-17k that being said what is the best porsche I can get? or what porsche should I get. I want the most reliable and trouble free model.

should I choose:
84-86
87-89 with the better tranny
90-94 new shape 964 non hand assembled body
95+ probably will find none for less than $26k

I like the new 90+ design and the fact it has abs and airbags for safety, and better AC which the wife will appreciate.
Marc and kgorman are correct above in that you need to have some spare cash set aside for the stuff that will break. So, if you have $17k at your disposal, you really have only about $15k to buy a car.

For that money, I'd buy a very nice 911SC from '78 to '83. Good motors, reliable transmission and very well built.

You might be able to find a solid, higher mileage 3.2 Carrera for that money (especially the '84 to '86 models), but most need something when they're in the $12k to $14k range. Mileage is not as important as overall condition.

A 964 in the $12k to $15k range is probably not a good choice if your funds are limited. Most in that range are higher mileage cars with issues. There are rare exceptions, but those are few. 964's are well assembled 911's (as well as the 993's), so your post above that states the 'non hand assembled body' is kinda irrelevant...

You need to drive the 964 and newer cars and also drive the pre 964 cars. They are very different in driving feel and only after you drive these cars will you determine what you want out of a 911.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 11-17-2005, 01:48 PM
fatboyq
Track Day

Thanks guys I'm 28 years old and have had poster's of Porsches in my room since I was 8. I have had many Mustangs and 3 cobras and now I feel its time to leap forward not that my Cobra is bad in anyway I just feel a need to try out new models and broden my horizon.

I think I will pass on the SC as they are too OLD and I don't think I want that Raw of a car, I like modern conveniences like AC, cruise, leather, and some power options. I love the look of 84-97 porsches so any thing in that order will do. I really like the 89-93 model even though I hear people feel its a soft Porsche market. I can up the budget some as well. I live in Chicago by the way. And I'm not a fan of the 911 of 99+ that look like a Boxter.

is the 3.2 and 3.6 the same engine for the most part or is it a complete new design?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Jay H
Drifting

fatboyq,

The 3.6 is another development of the flat 6 used since Porsche introduced it for the 911 in 1965. I'll let the 'engine' guys give you a better answer... However, the 964 block was still used on more performance oriented 996 models such as the GT3. So, the 3.6 is a solid platform overall.

ANY 911 you buy that is out of warranty is really a crap shoot. You really don't have the full story on how that motor was worked over it's life time unless you've owned the car from new and you're the only driver of it. A full records car with low mileage can have issues and a high mileage car could be rock solid in reliability. There is risk when buying an old performance car (or any car) and you have to be willing to take that risk. If you don't want that risk to your bank account, then keep the Cobra which is much newer and you know what you have in terms of how it's been used.

With about $15k to spend on a 964 (keeping in mind that $2k needs to be set aside for repairs), I think I'd personally wait until I had another $3000 to $7000 to spend on a 964, especially if it's going to become a daily driver or a car that needs to be reliable unless you can do a lot of DIY type work (which means you need the tools, space and time to do repairs) or have the passion (and dollars) to bring a well used 964 back up to snuff.

It still seems that nice 964s are in the $18,000 to $22,000 range with the later 964 models ('92 to '94) bringing a bit more at times. You can find decent 964 in the $16-$18k range, but they typically are higher mileage cars and you'd need a bit of patience to find those in that price range that are not money pits/story cars.

Jay
90 964
Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Having recently bought my first 964, I'd like to echo the suggestion to drive the different models... I test drove an '88 Targa, but it was just too old-fashioned for me. Parts of the interior are similar, but the '88 has a lot of things that remind me of 1960's VWs - like heater levers down by the emergency brake and really long shift sticks (look like they belong on a tractor). The 964 is quite a bit more refined (and the 993 even more so).

Before I bought this car, I had a 996 for all of 2 months... it was a nice car - but not what I really wanted out of a Porsche - I wish I had driven a 964 before I bought it... Lost a little money in trading it in for the 964, but I've found the right car for me... You need to go drive some of the different models, to help you focus on the right series for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin... That is a beautiful turbo!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9-kevin-11
Having recently bought my first 964, I'd like to echo the suggestion to drive the different models... I test drove an '88 Targa, but it was just too old-fashioned for me. Parts of the interior are similar, but the '88 has a lot of things that remind me of 1960's VWs - like heater levers down by the emergency brake and really long shift sticks (look like they belong on a tractor). The 964 is quite a bit more refined (and the 993 even more so).

9-kevin-11:

I have a good friend in the local Porsche club that went from a 924 Turbo to a 1990 964. His feelings about why he skipped the 3.2 cars were identical to yours. The refinement and easier to drive qualities were just what he was looking for in a 911. His wife refused to drive the G-50 3.2 Carrera's that he went to look at (she felt they were too truck like to drive), but liked the feel of the 964.

Again, a 964 or newer 911 is not for everyone, but there are some buyers out there that prefer the newer cars over the older ones. Gotta try 'em all to see what you like.

Jay
Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay H
... Gotta try 'em all to see what you like. ...
Second this. My SO has driven the 964 exactly once. Didn't "get" it. She drives an '04 Honda SiR hatch, "assertively", and loves it. But the 911 leaves her cold. We're all different. My next Porsche will be an older one - always wanted a 911S, but good ones are hard to find. Maybe even a 356. It'll come up someday. So, advice...drive a bunch. 993, 964, 3.2, SC. Read up. Lots. Read some more. And it depends what you want it for. Mine's a second car. A car I chose, not a car I need. If that's what you're after, mod cons like A/C and heat and airbags and ABS aren't all that important. But if you're after a car that's a brilliant mixture of the classic 911 and a modern, daily usable car, a good 964 is fantastic. IMHO.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by DarrylH
She drives an '04 Honda SiR hatch, "assertively", and loves it.
I love my '03 Honda Si too! The most fun I've had driving other than the two 911's I've owned.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Fatboy, here's the deal - it's going to cost you big bucks. You might pick up the car for 15k, but you're going to drop 5 grand on the thing before you knew what hit you.

You might need a clutch, you might need a new AC compressor, you might need a new catalytic converter (like me - $2200!!!!).

I've been where you are, I wanted a Porsche like my life depended on it, but these suckers are expensive. I waited until I was a little more financially stable, so I could afford it when something broke.

Unless you have SERIOUS disposable income, stick with American or Japanese cars.

A public service message from "The Voice of Doom"....
Old 11-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Jay H
Drifting

I'm likin' what Rick's got to say above...
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

FATBOYQ,
Read my thread of today, maybe you'll get something out of it? I hope so, I wrote this for you,..Every bit of advice will add up to something,..

Quick Reply: Looking to get my 1st porsche need some advise