Sponsored by:

964 - Heater Flap Boxes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@drmitch

did you do the work yourself? is it difficult job? require any special tools?

i would like to go over the system up front. opened up the cover to the front and don't see the flapper boxes etc.

i am getting exhaust in my cabin when turning on the windshield demister and also getting heat in the middle and passenger side vent but not the driver side vent

i will close off the two oval 'intakes' in the header and see if that helps.

looks like the system works on differential pressure etc..
Old 09-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
@drmitch

did you do the work yourself? is it difficult job? require any special tools?

i would like to go over the system up front. opened up the cover to the front and don't see the flapper boxes etc.

i am getting exhaust in my cabin when turning on the windshield demister and also getting heat in the middle and passenger side vent but not the driver side vent

i will close off the two oval 'intakes' in the header and see if that helps.

looks like the system works on differential pressure etc..
The flapper boxes are in the engine bay. I did the work myself, no special tools, have to remove rear wheel to access is all. PM me and perhaps we can meet up sometime. In the meantime, I'll see if I have any pics of what I did.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

realizing this thread started in 2005!!

I pulled my driver's side heater flapper box and soaked in solvents and cleaners and still stiff as hell.

Are they scrap? Any way to get them to flap again?

I can open and close but needs a fair bit of effort
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Drill out the "blind rivet" points and split the case. Clean it all up, including the plastic pivot points, lube and re assemble . I joined the halves with stainless bolts and nuts by drilling right through the joins where the "riveted" areas were.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

@tdiquattro i'll try that fix as my flapper boxes will not release properly. no 'tink' per dr mitch. will be a winter project
Old 03-03-2024, 11:20 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Hoping to revive, as this thread seems closest to my issues, and maybe @JasonAndreas is still paying attention . 😉

Recently refreshed a number of dead or dying AC components in anticipation of warmer weather. I had failing HVAC blower motors, CCU fan, mixing servos, and oil and HVAC cooler fans. Finished all that work, but now have faint, but hot air from the driver’s side vent, even on full cold AC.

I have checked carefully to ensure front left mixing servo arm is properly clocked. At full cold setting, the flap is fully closed. You can see and feel as much.

Today I took the heater flapper box off and inspected. It’s in perfect condition. Almost zero resistance on the flap axle / assembly. Moves effortlessly. I can hear it rattle when driver’s side door is closed.

So what does this point to? Is there something else between the heater flapper box and the mixing chamber flaps ?

Quick Reply: 964 - Heater Flap Boxes??