Sponsored by:

964 - Heater Flap Boxes??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM
jw964c4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random hot air with ac on

My 93 C4 dumps ac works for a while, then will start dumping hot air. I replaced the heater motor relay . Good for a week then the problem came back . My shop guys say that the control head is the culprit due to the random nature of the problem. I had it repaired by ASI in 2012, so I do not believe sending it back will fix it. As a hot weather fix , how do you prevent the heater blower/flaps from opening ? My thanks for any assistance.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Rather than start a new thread i thought that i'd post my q here, for future searchers.

I took one of my flap boxes out today, for non hvac related reasons, it was a bit stiff and was stuck in a half open position. I've given it a clean and a squirt and wiggled it back to life. My question is: how much resistance in the movement of the flap is normal?
Just as an aside....three in one bike chain lube-cleaner is great for the flapper box once you free it with the pb blaster. Keep shaking it daily and keep spraying pb blaster, and then shake and let it sit. Shake it again and clean it w the chain lube and on until it's totally free. There should be zero resistance as has been stated. But if you don't coat the shaft the flapper rides on with some sort of lube, it'll hair rust itself solid again.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 AM
james944
Instructor

Default Check the servo ball joint connection

Hi jw964c4,
If I understand your problem, check the mechanical connections for the servo in the front of the car.

Good illustration here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200811152...3.%20Reference

The plastic ball joints can fail and will let the mixing flap open to full heat randomly. If it is the ball joint you may be able to fix it with zip ties until replacements arrive.

Hope that helps,
James
Old 06-04-2016, 04:15 PM
jw964c4
5th Gear

Default Random AC

Thanks James944. Checked out the servos this morning. After 6-8 minutes with the ac on, the servo opened and the hot air started. I messed around with the recirc and defrost settings and the servo closed and I had cold air again. The temp button was on full cold all the time. Really a bummer. Would the flap stay closed if the actuator arm is disconnected? Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:36 PM
james944
Instructor

Hi jw964c4,

My flap would not stay closed with with actuator arm disconnected, it would open to full heat randomly. In your case it does seem like a control system problem.

For the summer, what you could try would be disconnecting the controller connection to the servo (the 5 pin connection in step #7 in the link above) and see if the system cools properly (not sure how it's wired and maybe disconnecting a servos would cause an error). That way you would still have the servo holding the clap closed to cooling but no controller signal randomly opening it.

You would just have to switch it when it started getting cold,
James
Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Here is a diagram in case it's helpful.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 PM
jw964c4
5th Gear

Thanks, I will disconnect the servo and see how that goes.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by james944
Web archive to the rescue!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 AM
jw964c4
5th Gear

Thanks James & Eddie, I disconnected the power lead as you said, the heat flap stays closed now. Can even run on vent now. I'll let you know if the control head can be repaired.
Jim
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
gt3sato
2nd Gear

Hello
I'm new to the rennlist. I have the opposite problem with my 964, in that the heater fan is always on and blows hot air into the cabin. Even if I have the blue position on temp control and fan in off position, i still get hot air blown in. Any ideas how to resolve?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3sato
Hello
I'm new to the rennlist. I have the opposite problem with my 964, in that the heater fan is always on and blows hot air into the cabin. Even if I have the blue position on temp control and fan in off position, i still get hot air blown in. Any ideas how to resolve?
Check the heater flap,servo operation. If it's stuck in the warm position it will do this. There is a left and right servo. You pull cover off in frunk and you can see them.

Servo 2 and 4

Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

I'd like to resurrect this thread once again - I'm getting hot air in cabin even if I disconnect the servos and manually close the heater flaps. I hear the little "tink" of the rear flaps when I open and close the doors. But something ain't right.

Just before weather started getting hot, the Freon was recharged and my indie (apparently) leak tested the A/C with no leaks.

A/C on does nothing - no cold air - but engine bogs a touch when turning on a/c - so something is turning on.

Will have to get it back to the shop and hook up to a Hammer. Hope I can get it sorted - may have to consider stuffing the rear heater vent hose/intake by the engine with insulation and disconnect the hose (previous owner did this and said it helped keep hot air blowing in).

No a/c, or rather, full heat all the time = no more 964 for me
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@dr mitch, i see you are in Toronto. Did you get your heat/cool issues sorted? i am digging into mine and hope to have it solved. i have working heat and ac now but needs some tweaking...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Yes, I did.
The heater flaps were sticking - I disconnected the hot air hoses (I replaced the old paper ones with nice duct tube from AirCraft Spruce) - I played with the flaps and there seemed to be a bit of grime / dirt in there - they seemed to work well - but would occasionally stick - so for the summer, I disconnected the hot air hose and put the foil tape over the intake to the HVAC - that made a HUGE difference in the amount of cold air in the cabin - so much so that my wife actually asks me to turn it down! (My servos used to stick, but I took them apart a couple of years ago and cleaned them and they all seem to be functioning fine now). Once the cold weather is here to stay I will reconnect the hot air hoses.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
Yes, I did.
The heater flaps were sticking - I disconnected the hot air hoses (I replaced the old paper ones with nice duct tube from AirCraft Spruce) - I played with the flaps and there seemed to be a bit of grime / dirt in there - they seemed to work well - but would occasionally stick - so for the summer, I disconnected the hot air hose and put the foil tape over the intake to the HVAC - that made a HUGE difference in the amount of cold air in the cabin - so much so that my wife actually asks me to turn it down! (My servos used to stick, but I took them apart a couple of years ago and cleaned them and they all seem to be functioning fine now). Once the cold weather is here to stay I will reconnect the hot air hoses.
Great job on that...

Quick Reply: 964 - Heater Flap Boxes??