Sponsored by:

What happens if too much oil??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What happens if too much oil??

In continuation to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/233036-oil-leaks.html

The mechanic still hasn't come to see the car. Meanwhile I noticed the following. After driving the car for say 10 min to warm it up to working temp and the checking the oil "as by the books" - letting it sit for few minutes on level surface - the level on the dipstick is normal. Then after 5 more minutes It got higher, another 5 min and level almost reached the MAX notch!
so when does it show the "ultimate true" result?

Does it mean in my case that it's too hight? I know that it might be very bad for engine. Can it also be the cause of the leak I'd gotten last week (oil overflow or something)?

-Andrei
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to worry about the oil level being too high unless its a good 2-3cm or more over the max mark. Your technique for checking the level sounds fine although mine takes more than 10 mins to get properly warmed up. I tend to go out driving for at least 20 mins before taking a reading. Its a hard thing to check the oil on these cars, i always look closely & take about 5 dipstick readings just to make sure.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:06 AM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Andrei,

I read your thread earlier and was hoping some guru would reply. Anyway, my understanding is that you should add oil after running the engine to the operating tempature. If you top up oil while cold then you may have overfill the engine.

The general guideline is that when the oil temp guage pointing to 9 o'clock( or over 8 o'clock), your oil guage should be around 3 o'clock.

The likely consequence of overfill is the white smoke from the exhaust and the contamination of the air intake and the air flow sensor and will cause the engine run very rich or hunting.

You may drain a little bit of the oil ( DO NOT do it while it is HOT!!!) by slightly losen up the drain plug but be very careful as you may only turn it a little bit at a time or all the oil will rush out!

Good luck and enjoy your Porsche!

Eddy
91 C-2 in Coral Red
Old 10-19-2005, 06:40 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by wormzz
Then after 5 more minutes It got higher, another 5 min and level almost reached the MAX notch!
so when does it show the "ultimate true" result?
The level will continue to rise as the temperature increases. What you'll notice is that your dashboard gauge and your dipstick are insync at 194F/90C and if your oil level is at the halfway point at that temperature (194F/90C) you will still have plenty of space in the tank for the oil to expand so that even at 250F you shouldn't be dumping oil into your intake manifold.

Does it mean in my case that it's too hight?
It depends on what the oil temperature was when the oil level reached the MAX notch.

I know that it might be very bad for engine. Can it also be the cause of the leak I'd gotten last week (oil overflow or something)?
Its not completely bad for your engine, more of a PITA. The oil tank overflow hoses vent to the intake manifold infront and in back of the idle speed valve so the oil gums up the ISV which screws with your idle. Overflow conditions also seem to cause leaks elsewhere.

Quick Reply: What happens if too much oil??