Sponsored by:

Oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:39 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks

Seems that oil leaks is rather a common problem here.
To my great upset I've faced it too, just after a week of owning my lovely C2 .

The story started yesterday went I took my car for a short ride and noticed that the oil level gauge sits in the red sector. Which was very surpising, as only two days ago it was at the safe middle position. Needless to say that back at the parking slot I descovered an oil puddle located at rear left side (opposite from exhaust pipe). However because of the plasic pan covering entire bottom I can't really see where the leak is actually originated from.

Driving into the gas station and adding 1 litre of oil returned it's level back to normal, according to the dipstick (which means it lost about 1L in two days sitting idle!). However getting back on the road the oil guages went mad. Oil level was showing variable between low and middle depending on revs (higher revs - closer to the middle), oil pressure also jumping up and down with constant frequency (no dependencies found).
I haven't check the car today yet, but expect to find it dry again.

I'm gonna take it to the service next week, but before that I would appreciate your comments or advices on what this all can be about, and what I should be prepared for.

Andrei
--
C2 '91
Old 10-16-2005, 03:29 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Andrei - don't worry so much about the oil level gauge - it is in the ballpark ONLY when your car is idling, warmed up, and sitting still, and level for a minute or so. While driving, ignore it!
Take off your lower engine tray to find out the leaks - there are tons of sources. But once you find them, there's no reason you can't be leak free - both my cars don't drip at all!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:49 PM
oscarmpn
Intermediate

Andrei,
Just remove the rear undertray (and leave it off) and clean and degrease everything you can and then monitor it statically and then running for the source (be careful of moving parts). I t may be a simple timing chain gasket on the left bank. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 PM
tobago Bob
Intermediate

I would check now to see if you have overfilled the tank.. causes all kinds of grief, please don't ask how I know..On mine every hose to the tank was leaking along with the valve covers. The crossover tube was the worst. (directly behind the engine) How long has it been in time and miles has it been since the valves have been adjusted?
Tobago Bob
Old 10-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Andrei...the oil level gauge represents the twisted part of the oil dipstick...from min to max...the needle on the red does not mean your oil tank is empty...

To read it: In order to get a precise reading from the gauge, the car must be in normal operating temterature...kind of temp. you have after driving for about 20 minutes or more...the car must be parket for at least 30 seconds on a level surface with the engine running...check the needle and then check the dipstick and compare both...this way you'll learn how to relate and understand both...bear in mind to have the dipstick as the "true gauge"...the dipstick will never lie to you...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It helps if you gently file the dipstick to roughen the surface - makes reading it much easier.

Marc
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Andrei!
Also, your oil pressure gauge sounds like it's probably reading correctly. You should see somewhere in the ballpark of 1 at idle, and the pressure should rise with the RPMs. Let's see some pics of your new ride!
Brian
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Thanks guys,

the mechanic is coming to see it this week. Until then I better anchor it in the garage.
2 tobago Bob, about valve adjustment - I have no idea! I just got this car a week ago and haven't talked to the previous owner on this matter. How can I check that adjustment is needed?

Pictures will follow soon, as soon as good sunny weather is back here

A.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 AM
cockyapple
Instructor

hello,

so the oil level on a warmed engine ..on a flat surface should read somewhere between the 2 notches on the dipstick picture above........am i correct
Old 10-17-2005, 08:56 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct. And it should also read between the two white notches on the oil level gauge in the car. Probably right around the middle.
Brian

Quick Reply: Oil leaks