Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your center console light up in the dark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:22 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does your center console light up in the dark?

Hi All,

I was wondering if the buttons on your center console light up? My hazard light (red) lights up and so does another red dot on when I have locked the doors, but otherwise it is all dark.

The rear spoiler round dial also does not light up, is this correct?

I have read somewhere that these should light up, but maybe this is not the case for all markets? My car was originally delivered in Germany.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:52 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

When I got my car those genreal illumination lights didn't light up either. The red dot inside the actual button - where applicable - woked, but not the console ones above the button.

Pop the cover off and there is a simple little circuit board with leds attached. Apparently my leds were all dead - as I was getting voltage to the board when I turned the light switch on. Rather than spend $$$ on a new circuit board unit, I went to Radio Shack, bought a little soldering kit ($12) and a pack of leds ($2) and soldered in the new diodes. Works like a champ now.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:48 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Riccardo,

Each of the three toggle switches in your center console have an internal light. The one inside the hazard flasher switch only comes on when the hazard lights are on. The one for the central locking lights comes on after you've used the toggle switch to lock the doors. The one on the warning toggle switch lights when you have a warning condition (emergency brake on, low fuel, low washer fluid, etc.), and can be extinguished by toggling the switch.

Each of the toggle switches has a corresponding icon that is lit when the parking lights are turned on.

The round dial for manually raising/lowering the spoiler is not lit.

Interestingly, you will also find--if you don't know already--that the headlight switch is not illuminated. It has a bulb installed, but the switch is not wired up. My old '84 Carrera had an illuminated switch, and I understand (but don't know for certain) that the 993 headlight switch is illuminated.

I like BS911's idea of soldering in new diodes. The switches/circuit boards are expensive$$ for what you get.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:37 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

One clarification of my post above. The icon above the spoiler manual control switch--that looks like the rear end of the car--illuminates when the parking lights are turned on.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:29 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Aha! Thought as much! My icons do not light up. I really did not think that Porsche would have built its buttons with them lighting up but not their icons! Thank you for that Randall. It is strange, however, that the lights switch is not connected, wish it was...

I have heard of other car brands having all the wiring for things in them and then not having the item they wire. (for example, on a Renault 5 some models do not have rev counters even though all the wiring is there)

BS, what type of dioded did you use. Is there a colour, size, voltage... I practically do not even know what a diode is!

Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 10:54 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Ooh... you know, now that you mention it, I remember that there was a specific voltage model of led. I think it is either indicated in the shop manuals - or it was on the dead leds that I pulled out. I'll gladly look at my shop manual, but am headed off to SanFran for business until Saturday AM. I'll take a look this weekend and post back.

Incidentally, I think I had to replace all four leds. The three icons in the upper console and the one for the electric spoiler. More to come...
Old 08-29-2001, 03:39 AM
Elliot Davies
Intermediate

I too have had a problem with the triple circuit board. I noticed that the 1st LED was out so i removed the board from its position and found that these are soldered in bulbs and not removeable by normal pulling means. I replaced the board and all the bulbs have now failed to work I have emailed my local OPC and the price for a replacement board/bulbs is UK£ 26.98 inclusive which isnt to high although i may go along the route of BS911 and solder new bulbs in myself
Old 08-29-2001, 03:52 AM
Elliot Davies
Intermediate

P.S the part number for the circuit board with led's is 999.652.239.00. incase you wish to order the part.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:22 PM
Elliot Davies
Intermediate

I have fixed my 3 faulty upper console LED's. I tried everywhere locally for a copy of the originals but nobody knew where to find them, the problem is the shielding around the bulb wont be fitted to a normal auto bulb. I have opted for 3 x 12volt 1.2watt bulbs and have soldered them into the circuit board and with a bit of luck it shouldnt cause any problems with overheating.
All looks great now.
PS...should the cigar lighter and the headlamp adjustment wheel be lit.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:40 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Elliot,

I understand that in the UK RS can supply these lightbulbs. They are part number 586-380.

Steve has got a good description on how to replace these bulbs on:

Steves Console bulb replacement instructions

However, I have never used a solder and am afraid of making a mess of it. How did you solder them on? Was it easy?

By the way, my cigar lighter does not light up either! Will check on headlight adjustment one tonight.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:34 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my center console bulbs with 4 12V 30mA.

Noticed that the green spoiler icon was too dark, so, only for that light, I used a 50mA lamp.

My cig lighter isn't lighted, only the the hole.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:59 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Lamps not bulbs.......

Seriously they are ordinary filamnet lamps avialable from RS and the like, but as the filament has a finite life I went the LED route.
I replaced all mine with a 28v bright white LED again RS stuff, but these have built in resistors so no loading problems. only thing that requires modding is to pull off the side connectors that these plug in LED's come with.
The lights a little off red in colour through the console, but as the are LED's they give off virtually no heat, will last for ever and as I'm running 28v specced LED's on 12V's I guess they will last longer than the car itself.
Next project is to wire up the lamp in the headlight control switch with a LED and see how that goes when I can find the wires needed, shouldn't be a heat issue as LED's produce negligable heat.
Thanks 4 listening.
RS part no: 283-0011.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI
The cigar lighter doesnt have a light on the 993. I reckon its the same on the 964.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:44 PM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Bins:
<strong>FYI
The cigar lighter doesnt have a light on the 993. I reckon its the same on the 964.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry to point this out but... I does have a bulb in the holder. It is a right pain to get to though. The best way is from under the dash but you will have to take out the radio first. I have no idea what type of bulb it is as I have not been bothered with pulling out the radio yet.

Quick Reply: Does your center console light up in the dark?