Sponsored by:

Can't be the Super Blue? Can it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
stubornC4nut
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can't be the Super Blue? Can it?

Hello all, my first post. There is so much great information here, and love some of the avatars! Have owned the car since ’93 and just found the list this year…totally asleep at the switch!

I just had my dealer flush and bleed my C4 brake/clutch/ABS/4wd system with Super Blue today and after doing so my clutch is pedal is not moving as smoothly as it was before. The pedal is returning to the full engaged position but is not as smooth on the way there. Off course when I returned to have them take a look at the problem the mechanics were gone for the day. I have been using MB fluid in the past and thought I would change over. Any thoughts? They suggested I come back and they would bleed the clutch again.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have tried to include a photo as I noticed newcomers get harassed if they don’t.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Beautiful car, now get some paint and cover up those front license plate grommets!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 PM
stubornC4nut
6th Gear

Arrow Tough Crowd! Tough Crowd!

Geez, even with the photo the harassment begins! Will do. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its all in fun
welcome
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Absolutely, WELCOME!

But get some blue tape on those headlights!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey... Welcome to the forum! (Nice looking car BTW!) It sounds like you may need a re-bleed... But then I think you knew that. I doubt it has anything to do with the type of fluid used... Just that they may not have done a thorough job bleeding the clutch. It should be a quick, easy fix.

Please post more photos when you can!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 AM
mxbanker
Racer

Welcome. Dont worry you dont have to follow the sheep if you dont want to. LOL

I have a C4 with original FLAG MIRRORS (this should get em off of you and harassing me)
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome !
Old 09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist - you've found a great source for both information and harassment.

The car looks great (www.bumperplugs.com would reduce the abuse through , no affiliation). At least you don't have FLAGS and D90's like some.

The first time I had my brakes bled at a mechanics (before I did it myself), I drove about 2 miles before I got a nice light show of warning lights. Went back and got it rebled - no problems after.

As has been mentioned, it is unlikely the fluid type, most likley just needs a rebleed.

Marc
Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! As said, sounds like a re-bleed; but they need to be aware of the intricacies of the C4 system, and they should do it with the Bosch Hammer.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Very common issue, as the clutch slave cylinder is a PITA to bleed properly (based on its location)......took me 3 times on my old RSAmerica.
Welcome and best of luck with the car.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

One more thing....

Prolonged use of ATE Super Blue will leave a 'ring' around the brake fluid resevoir (due to blue dye penetrating the plastic); this makes it difficult to quickly visually check your brake fluid level.
ATE Type200 (a.k.a. ATE Super Gold) is the same as Super Blue, just minus the blue dye....no 'ring around the bowl' problems.

Many folks will alternate between Blue and Gold, as it makes it easy to tell when you've completely flushed the line(s).
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Welcome to Rennlist - you've found a great source for both information and harassment.

The car looks great (www.bumperplugs.com would reduce the abuse through , no affiliation). At least you don't have FLAGS and D90's like some.

The first time I had my brakes bled at a mechanics (before I did it myself), I drove about 2 miles before I got a nice light show of warning lights. Went back and got it rebled - no problems after.

As has been mentioned, it is unlikely the fluid type, most likley just needs a rebleed.

Marc
I knew that would get em. NO D90's here though Its a law in Cali to have front license plate and i dont need any attention drawn from the law (besides speeding )
I would suggest the specialty brake fluid from Castrol with anti-condensation.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mxbanker
I would suggest the specialty brake fluid from Castrol with anti-condensation.
That would be Castrol SRF, about $70/can....who cares, great stuff, the only fluid I use in my Cup car (I'm REALLY fond of my brakes)
BTW, it's best property is that it has one of the highest wet boiling points (dry boiling points only matter in an unopened can) of all the fluids.....been discussed in the DE forum many times with lots of good threads.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem with my clutch fluid. But then again my car can shift itself...

My flags days are numbered. The aero's are in the paint shop.

Welcome!

Oh, the only comment which I am sure everyone will agree with me is "Get some lowering springs" IMHO

Quick Reply: Can't be the Super Blue? Can it?