Sponsored by:

Drip, Drip, Drip . . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Peter H
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drip, Drip, Drip . . . . . .

I'm curious to know whether all you cab owners out there have to put up with a bit of water in the interior when it rains. I find that when it rains really heavily I get some water dripping at the same spot on both sides of the car - at the three-way junction of the top, the windshield and the side door/glass. On the infrequent occasions when the rain really pelts down, I tend to get a drip onto my elbow about every 20 seconds. It's more annoying than anything else - it's not as though I'm in danger of drowning!

I've tried several times (generally after it has rained, not surprisingly) to find the weakness in the rubber seals between the three surfaces, but everything looks OK to me. Is it something all us rag-top owners just need to put up with, or does someone happen to know a fix?

Peter
Old 04-14-2003, 02:16 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 90 C2 Cab and since I did not drive it in the rain, the only "water" experience I can give you is from washing. When I do wash, I do see water on the inside of the passenger window but no where else. My car had the 993 top so it did not have the 3 way junction and there was no leak at the windshield.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem when I bought my car - I got it sorted by the dealer at a trim shop. They adjusted the hood position and since then even when I got caught in heavy rain no real leaks.

Getting an expert to adjust the hood is probably your best bet.

i.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Tony Davis
Intermediate

I've had that problem and its actually worse after the fitting of a new hood and lowering of the window height (the seals had disstorted). It looks as though the seals are now too hard and lost their elasticity - so its new seals for me.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Tony Davis
Intermediate

I've had that problem and its actually worse after the fitting of a new hood and lowering of the window height (the seals had disstorted). It looks as though the seals are now too hard and lost their elasticity - so its new seals for me.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
My car has that same drip. I replaced the top in '96 and can't remember if the problem was temporarily solved. However I can say that it drips now. I have tried having the dealer adjust the roof to close tighter. That provides marginal help. I'd be interested to know a good long term fix.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:52 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I guess my cabriolet is as close to new as you can get given 10+ years old, but I don't get any leaks when driving in the rain or when washing- car has 13,000 miles (prior owner didn't drive it much). Therefore, these cars probably didn't leak when new, but as the rubber seals wear out, they probably start to drip a little. I had a low-mileage '87 911 targa which dripped just like you describe though...worth a few drops of water given topless driving on sunny days! I used to keep a kitchen towel in the door are rest to wipe up the drops that came in with my targa.

Andrew
Old 04-15-2003, 04:27 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Peter - my car drips in the same manner (when the top is thoroughly soaked, after a heavy, consistent rain). It's annoying when it happens, but I drive it so infrequently in heavy, consistent rain that I haven't gotten around to trying to fix it.

Since it seems to happen after the top is completely soaked through, you may want to try applying Raggtop convertible top treatment or the Porsche factory top treatment to keep out the water - that's my plan.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Peter H
Track Day

Thanks for the replies. I spend about US$400 equivalent at my Porsche service shop when I first bought the car about 2 years ago to fix the problem. Since the fabric is still not leaking, I think they did it by adjusting the hood closing position and also messing with the rubber seals, and it seemed to work for about a year, but it is back again.

From the replies it seems as though it is just one of those annoying things with most older cabs that you put up with on the odd heavy rainy days in exchange for the joys of riding topless on the many good days.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i had this same problem on my old 91 Cab (Boris T's car now unless it's been sold since, anyway)if the seals and the top are good you need to realign the hood it'self - it seems to happen every few years with both the 964 and 993, basically the engagement gets a little sloppy and leaks at the 3 way junction
the re-alignment is semi time consuming

Quick Reply: Drip, Drip, Drip . . . . . .