Radio Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Installation question

Hi,

I'm trying to install a radio in my 1991 964. The original radio was remove by the previous owner, and new (thicker) wires where used.
Now I want to install a radio as it was original installed.

The problem is that I can't find the wires comming from the front (door) speakers. There are a few wires (5 or6) cut off, but all other colors are not comming from the doors. Do I have to find the wires behind the dashboard ?
I believe the car was not equiped with a standard radio, but with an extra radio option with an additional ampiflier. Where can I find the ampiflier ?

A second question.. there's a coax cable comming from the antenna. But there's an addition black wire comming from the antenna ampiflier. Is this the power supply ? If yes, is positiv (+) or negative (-) ?

Thx Peter
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black wire is power to the areil amplifier and Im pretty sure is 12v+(please wait till someoen else confirms this I don't want your car going up in flames

my amplifier is under the drivers seat of my car which in your case would be the pasanger seat in your car you will see the cable(1 thick black one IIRC) for teh speakers go under teh seat and under the carpet in a ruber tunel

You may also find 2 green wires with 6v+ on and they were from the origonal Porsche alarm make sure they are insulated or they could drain your battery.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

small connector is 12v+ you can use an ariel amp supply or similar from the back of the head unit, I did. I posted the photos around here somewhere......
My amp was below the drivers seat, but isn't used it has a (I think 5) pin round din type connector.

kevin
Old 09-07-2005, 07:04 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

I had a similar problem when fitting my new cd player the wires had been messed around with a few times in the past.
i found an old connector block under the dash an connected the player up to that and ditched a load of excess wire.
The speaker wires are normally
front left -white white black
front right-grey grey/black
rear left-green green/black
rear right violet violet/black

the ones with the black stripe being -ve
good luck
Old 09-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

I can't find the wires :-(
but maybe can someone tell me where the wires I found behind the radio are used for.
And also 2 unused connectors under the left seat.
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! You've got a mess. I don't know about all the wires, but the big one that appears frayed on the end I think is your antenna wire. It's missing the male connector on the end. The little black wire that's wrapped around this antenna wire I believe is the antenna amplifier wire. Should plug into a socket on the back of the radio (without it, your radio won't pick up many, if any, radio stations). I'm a diehard DIYer, but if this were mine, I believe I'd take it to a pro.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 AM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

I'm a diehard DIYer too ;-) That's why I want to find out everything of my 964.
The previous owner installed a very expensive audio system in the car. I found wires for 8 speakers, an ampiflier in the lugage compartment (connected to the radio with an optical wire). A new antenna was installed so that the window antenna wasn't used anymore. I removed everything, and now I want to install an original radio connected to the original antenna.
All wires you see on the picture where taped, I simply removed the tape and now I want to find out where they are used for.
I have the electrical diagrams so i'm able to find it back.. but that will take a long time. :-(
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

you have more colours than I had on my origonal blaupunct symphony.

thick red was 12v+, thick brown was negative. the green one had 5+v and was for the alarm (you wont need it.)

I think teh white one supplied teh 12+ for the radio amplifier i.e it plugged into the black one and teh small red wire may have been switched 12+

Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

ps the speaker cables came from under the drivers seat with a kind of din connector that Pluged into the back of the radio. thats all there was.

I'm guessing the other solours either dim the radio when you turn on the lights or drop volume when a fitted phone rang?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:52 AM
964rh
Pro

I had the same prob yesterday, eventually found the speaker wires under the driver seat (rhd car) along with the round din cable for the amp that wasn't there.
The wire colours on mine were black = earth, red1 = continuous live, red2 = switched live(ignition), black = aerial power. Had to use a volt meter to find out which live was which.
Took new speaker wires from under the seat, under the carpet alongside the trans tunnel and up the back of the dash to the HU.
As Pesty says, I think the others are phone, alarm and illumination wires for the original setup.

Rob
Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

The colored wires are in the same cable bundle as the "ground" "continous 12V" and the "Ignition Controlled 12V" used for the radio. The other wires can be the audio out (to the DIN connecter under the seat) and the other functions mentioned by Pesty.
I didn't found a DIN connector under the seat, but I will remove the seat to have a clear view.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter_964C2
Pesty.
I didn't found a DIN connector under the seat, but I will remove the seat to have a clear view.
just to clarify. the cable went from under the seat amplifier to where the radio was .so you should see the din conector acble in your gap if not its probably been removed.

from the amplifier under the seat 4 pairs of cables with normal speaker cable plugs went to the speakers. the amp had 3 wires going to it 12+ negative and one other dont know what it was.

I imagine its all been removed by whoever fitted the after market amp and head unit.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

the two large black connectors under the passenger seat are connectors for electric adjustable seats

Quick Reply: Radio Installation question