Sponsored by:

Gemballa twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 03:01 AM
blustem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gemballa twin turbo

Brand new here,please be gentle.I can't believe how slow I type.I now own a 2001 996 c-2,loaded with the essentials.I love this car. If it were legal I would have sex with it-Kansas has strict sodomy laws. I recently discovered that my local exotic auto dealer is selling a 1990 c-4 Gemballa twin-turbo coversion.Unbelievable car.It has GT2 splitter,2 deck GT2 spoiler,rockers etc.. ,3 piece BBS racing wheels,roll cage,I believe sparco seats,w/harness.500+ H.P. This car was totally reworked by Gemballa in '96 after the car had seen about 40K miles.I've seen papers, titles,and the 25 page Gemballa documents/invoice. Just about every thing in the engine was re-worked.This guy bought the car for around 40-45k in 95 and spent annother 80k on it.I drove it and it is FAST.It has only 1500 miles on it since the re-work.The carpet needs replaced and the steering wheel is awful but otherwise it is flawless.

1.does anyone know anything about gemballa or this type of conversion?

2.Am I an idiot for considering selling my '01 220HP,(B+B headers and mufflers, True Flow filter),996 and buying this freak of automotive engineering? Any and all input would be appreciated. Hasta luego-JDP.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
No, you are not an idiot. You have now been seduced by the power of a turbo. If you don't buy the car you might get arrested for attempted rape...In Kansas.

Seriously, I would have someone who is very knowledgeable about turbos and turbo conversions to look at the car. Stephen Kasper in Lenexa Kansas comes to mind. The C2/C4 cars are great cars, better than the torsion bar cars. These major tuners do great work, but I'd still feel better if someone knowledgable gave the car the AOK.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:52 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Gemballa is a class act. Unfornuately, a lot of people buy cars and put s few aftermarket parts on them and say they are the "Tuners" car.

You'll find some major differences between the 964 C-4 and the 996. Remember that POrsche made huge strides in the 964 to 993 to 996s. I have both a 996 and a 964. The cars are night and day. The 964 is more rugged and feels like a Porsche. The newer cars, although somewhat faster, have gone towards a quieter and smoother ride. I'm not complaining, I love both of my cars.

The other item you might want to think about is resale. The Gemballa will have a smaller market of followers, thus you might have a harder time selling it when you are ready.

I have had turbos in the past. They are great.
Have this car checked out. If it is a true Gemballa, you'll have fun with it.

Bottom line, you might have more fun with a street version 3.6ltr 964 turbo becuase you would get more use out of it.

Just my two cents.

CLUBRCR

99 996
92 US Carrera Cup Car
Old 08-10-2002, 02:13 PM
blustem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas. I misprinted my 996 #'S -I believe I'm running 320HP,however we all know that aftermarket parts sellers B.S. about H.P.gains on their products.I'm somewhat "in" with the local Porsche mechanic at the dealership and he knows the gemballa car fairly well saying that it is fantastic.If I do do this I will have it thoroughly inspected. Anybody up for a 7900mi.mint biarritz white,factory sports susp.,18"turbo whls w/crests,sunroof,3-spoke steering w/crest,full elec. seats,technic pkg.w/litronics,cd etc..,6 speed,no dings,B+B heads+muffs.,True Flow filter,(in the factory box),bra-ordered from dealer,never on a track,always garaged,very pampered,1 owner 2001 996?(delivered to me on 3-1-01). If so, call my cell and ask for justin @913-706-4270. By the way, any more input about Gemballa car would be appreciated. thanks, JDP

Quick Reply: Gemballa twin turbo