Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is odd... I can't explain it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:16 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is odd... I can't explain it.

Car is USA spec 1990 C4 w/155k miles on original non-rebuild engine. In my first 5k of ownership it's dripped a bit of oil, but nothing to cause me concern. It's always had dino-20w50 of one brand or another, last time I used Castrol GTX.

So this Sat I'm at EuroAutoPlex updating their PC systems and whilst uploading the new AllData DVD's to the network drive (a lengthy affair) I changed the oil again, it had 5k and two DE events on it...

This time changed ONE thing. I used two cans of BG-MOA (motor oil additive); which frankly I've ALWAYS thought was snake-oil. The shop owner swears by the stuff but I never succumbed before this time. On a 10+ qt oil change two cans is the correct ratio per the BG instructions. I fired up the car and proceeded to top off to the right levels once the oil cooler fan was happily puring and venting warm air.

Here's what I've noticed once I had driven about 10 miles initially, and continued since then:
1. The engine is significantly quieter. Not a little but a WHOLE LOT quieter. I had at least one clicking lifter indicating adjustment was coming on each side of the engine before. Now they are quiet.
2. My operating temp idle has dropped about 25rpm'ish and is much more stable.
3. Until the thermostat opens on the oil cooler I actually show over filled for a couple minutes and then everything goes right to normal.
4. I've managed to be able to step the tail out on sharp turns from a dead-stop where that hadn't been happening before.
5. There aren't any new drips under the car. My fresh cardboard under the engine is clean for two days now.

I personally believe I am imagining #4, or it's a function of a heavier right foot. But #1&2 were noticed by other riders in the car who pay attention to these little details and bother to ask a question.

#5 is the part that's really throwing me for a loop. It's simply too fantastical to believe. I am not advocating this for anyone, although I am curious if anyone has seen dramatic changes as a result of an oil chemical change they've made. Perhaps it's a fucntion of just having some new/different stuff in there (not what the particular stuff is...)

Someone help me understand...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that sounds like what i need .

Last edited by H964; 09-06-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am so skeptic with those snake oils… sure it was not something else you have done to the car? Was this done at the same time you change oil brands, tune-up???

Reminds me of my younger years with Slick50…
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Every major car manufacturer strongly recommends against putting snake oil in the engine. On any new car, it voids the engine warranty. There are additives blended in by the oil manufactures, and some are controlled at the parts per billion concentration. Two quarts of snake oil changes the carefully designed additive package painstakingly developed over many years and at huge expense. The snake oil formulations are someone's unproven fantasy that they can improve on the scientific method.

Testimonials are out there, but when scientific tests are run under controlled conditions, the results always show no results or actual harm.

Caveat emptor.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Not saying this is the case here, but this reminds me of something my dad told me once. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant, you get the idea...

If you put wood chips in an old worn out transmission it doesnt make much noise for a while. Still worn out though.

Could the changes be related to something else like outside temperature? My car performs like it grew 2 new cylinders when its cool/cold outside. Also it quietens up a bit, probably oil viscosity being higher, which is what your additives are doing most likely.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor honey
#1The engine is significantly quieter.
Motor honey will do that , its thicker and sticky .
#2. My operating temp idle has dropped about 25rpm'ish and is much more stable.
#3. Until the thermostat opens on the oil cooler I actually show over filled for a couple minutes
That does not sound good , the oil is in the tank . Why is it in the tank ? Is it not flowing the way it should ? Is it cause its thicker and sticky ?
#4. I've managed to be able to step the tail out on sharp turns from a dead-stop
Oil on tires ?
#5. There aren't any new drips under the car.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"If you put wood chips in an old worn out transmission it doesnt make much noise for a while. Still worn out though."
My old man told me that trick also .
Real good to check the oil in any thing you are looking to buy , ya ?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Motor honey ... its thicker and sticky."
OK, I think there's a product in there, just waiting to be advertised. Can'tcha just hear John Cameron Swayze's voice saying it?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Like I said I NEVER believed it. I am certainly not advocating it. I dis-believe my own results and cannot speak one whit to the long-term viability in my application.

Now I trust BG products to a very high degree. While acknowledging the snake-oil'esque nature of their MOA product - I put it in a higher calibre tier than Slick50, or Marvel's or Motorhoney... BG mentions in their testing rigor, but I've not seen the SAE bulletins on it...

Oh to answer the other questions:
1. I changed NOTHING else. Bought the oil from the same store. Same brand.
2. I would hope that after the miles I drove yesterday and oil-spot advertently gotten on a tire would be gone. Same torquier feel...
3. Temps varried about 5deg F between arrival and departure from the oil change. It got hotter not colder.
4. No metal chips or sparkles observed in the delluge of oil during the drain.

Look I know it sounds idiotic. I've not filled my oil-case with crap/wood-chips or whatever. Perhaps the overall viscosity has now gone past 50w (at temp) which seems to make things happier back there. I don't know why, but all I can say is it's different in a good way.

If anyone has access to the SAE articles it might make a good read if it's been reviewed.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

That does not sound good , the oil is in the tank . Why is it in the tank ? Is it not flowing the way it should ?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

It does at temp. I will observe on the drive home tonight to see if the initial thing was related to an air-pocket someone introduced while draining/filling.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
Look I know it sounds idiotic....
I hate to flame, but this forum has always had a high level of discussion and technical excellence. I am frankly offended to see a worthless and possibly harmful product shamelessly promoted here.

Aftermarket oil additives were discredited in the 1960s when lubrication science and oil chemistry became highly developed. The consumer fraud organizations are constantly bringing false advertising complaints against Slick 50 and the others, but additives keep showing up under new names. I can't understand why anyone would part with hard-earned money when the objective evidence is that there is no benefit and possibly harm when any reputable oil is tampered with.

The only credible theory that matches your description is that your engine is so worn out, that a thicker oil helps. If that is the case, why not simply use a thicker oil, and avoid the cost and risk of screwing up a highly developed additive package?

For a sound engine, use of thick oil is harmful. Thick oil reduces engine power to the wheels because the oil pump works harder, and because there is more drag in all the lubricated moving parts. Shaft power used by the oil pump and lost to drag is power not available to the wheels. Fuel must be burned to produce power, so economy suffers. The engine will run hotter for two reasons: First, the extra power used by oil pump and the extra engine friction is converted to heat. Second, the oil flows more slowly everywhere, but especially slow in the small passages of the oil cooler.

Read the owner's manual from almost any car produced in the last 20 years. The engine warranty is void if you use after market oil treatments. Log onto the Federal Trade Commission website and read about the false advertising complaints. Caveat emptor.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Geeze Springer3 - I would ask you to look at the original post and then read what was actually written. I think you are dropping the boom rather hard on my head. I am not selling anything, nor did I advocate anyone copying my experiment. What I did ask for was whether or not anyone else had experienced a similar result. I did not at anytime refute your sage Caveat Emptor advice.

Please refer back to my original post as to what I asked "function of having stuff vs. particular stuff..."

Shamelessly promoted? A you f'ing serious? Your understanding of the english language varies dramatically from mine evidently. Were I attempting to convert people I certainly would avoid using phrases like "snak-oil'esque" and such.

So dude, if you've got a chip on your shoulder about me; how about addressing it with me directly. My phone is in your PM box, and I'd be happy to have a conversation so I can better understand how I've mis-typed to the point where you think I am selling something. I am frankly befuddled but willing to extend you the benefit of doubt that you're perhaps reading into the words, or having a bad-day.

I've got no agenda. I hope that you've not either and that this is some massive communication issue. You're swinging a pretty big stick for what I intended to be an innocent question.

Rob in Chicago.

Last edited by RallyDogRacing; 09-06-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:26 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default bg products

hey Rallydogracing, BG products are awesome and dont be offended by people that dont know the product. i have used there injection cleaner and its good. on the 993 they are using the induction cleaner product to clean the carbon from the sai ports out. i have used the no. 11 to clean out my intake manifolds and that stuff is great. i never tried the oil additive but if its doing what you say it is then i think you will be ok.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Just to keep people level-headed here........don't let this thread turn into a "993-type" word war.

We are known to be a friendly and helpful group of enthusiasts.....Let's keep it that way!!!

Quick Reply: This is odd... I can't explain it.