Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pinsly
Just to keep people level-headed here........don't let this thread turn into a "993-type" word war.

We are known to be a friendly and helpful group of enthusiasts.....Let's keep it that way!!!
Agreed.

Rob, I suggest you remove you phone number from the post. You can always (and it is best) send a PM with that type of info.

Now peace brothers in oil!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Gentlemen - as Jeremy has already pointed out, let's keep it civil, please.

While we are all permitted to express our own opinions and disagree (if we all agreed, this would be a very boring place), we should try to remember that we are all friends here and act that way.

Marc
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Marc Shaw]While we are all permitted to express our own opinions and disagree (if we all agreed, this would be a very boring place), we should try to remember that we are all friends here and act that way.[QUOTE]

Peace

Last edited by springer3; 09-07-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Springer, as my kids would say... "take a chill pill"..
Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default closing out the thread

Close-out message & follow up.

Update 1 - my engine has resumed it's normal drips. I can't explain why it ceased for a couple days, but it has resumed albeit with a slightly lesser volume. Perhaps going up and down on the lift a few times jiggled some connection somewhere, before driving jiggled it back. (week I know...)

Update 2 - the oil-level odd behavior isn't there anymore. I'm going to chalk this up to operator (me) error in just looking at the indicator when all required conditions were probably not met. At temp, on level ground, at idle; I am 1/4" below the full notch on the dipstick and showing just below the fat full mark on the guage.

So outside of a quieter operating engine pertty much everything else has returned to normal. The extra torque feel, I think is there but it's been cooler here in Chitown since I started the post, and I also have much less petrol in the car. Weight reduction of (10gals x 6lbs/gal) 60lbs might explain it, odds are however much better it's my imagination.

In the end I'd say don't oil a snake, but my old well-worn engine likes this particular snake-oil...
Did I mention that this stuff made me appealing to swim-suit models and allowed me to win the lottery as well...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Did I mention that this stuff made me appealing to swim-suit models and allowed me to win the lottery as well..."
I'll be running down to the auto parts store now to see if I can find some .
Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Did I mention that this stuff made me appealing to swim-suit models and allowed me to win the lottery as well..."
I'll be running down to the auto parts store now to see if I can find some .

Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
Did I mention that this stuff made me appealing to swim-suit models and allowed me to win the lottery as well...
Oh, I'd believe that - I took my engine undertray off 'cause I was told it made me look 20 lbs lighter, 10 years younger, gave me minty fresh breath and the car an extra 50 hp.

Marc
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, I'd believe that - I took my engine undertray off 'cause I was told it made me look 20 lbs lighter, 10 years younger, gave me minty fresh breath and the car an extra 50 hp.
If this came from our moderator then it must be true
I have a TIP so being a slower less worthy car it only gave me 40 HP more
Old 09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember my Uncle telling me that he bought some spark plugs that increased the fuel mileage 25%. Then he bought some fuel additive that increased the mileage 30%. Then he bought a special carburretor that increased the mileage 50%. He then drove 4 blocks and the gas tank overflowed. I think there was a message in that story.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Rallydog,

If you like it, then it works for you. But...

Porsches are like older Harley's in that they like to mark their spot. That way they know they're home. I've had several of each and except for my 964 they all had a drip complex.

Sure you're gauge read full, that's why there is a dipstick. I rarely pay attention to the indash indicator.

I just stopped by my wrench to have my airbag/seatbelt lights reset (my own fault this time) and he told me that my car needed the valves adjusted again because they're chatteirng. They were done a little over a year ago, so go figure.

Happy motoring!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The techs I have talked to over the years swear by BG MOA for use in dino oils. They also swear by 44K. I've used 44K for years. Since I always run synthetic oils, I have no need for the MOA and have no personal experience with it... But I have seen what 44K can do for a car or truck in need. IMHO... It's good stuff!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 91 3.6 litre in my 1977 911 wide body. I switched from 20w50 dino oil to Mobil 1 0w-40 a few months ago and the few minor oil leaks that the engine had are gone. Totally dry garage floor. I guess the seals like this Mobil 1 formula. I always thought going to synthetic made leaks worse but not in this case.

Also before I put the 3.6 in the car I had a very worn out 3.2. Bad compression and leakdown on one cylinder bank. Before taking it to track events I would add a can of Automotive Products "Restore". Car would get back its missing torque and performed very well for the track event. Then after a few hundred street miles it would go back to its tired state.

Quick Reply: This is odd... I can't explain it.