Sponsored by:

German style plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German style plates

I’ve seen a few UK cars with German style plates on them, which I quite like the look of. I’ve found a place that does almost the right style (www.germanplates.com), but they’re missing the two coloured circles (German MOT?) about a third of the way into the plate. Questions, therefore, are :

Has anyone used www.Germanplates.com ?

Has anyone found someone else who does these, but with the inspection marks on the plate?

Anyone just made up their own inspection marks?

Anyone think these look any good?

Sorry about the poor picture!
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4 GIRL for the wifes car or is "R" Grahams middle initial? Also I have wondered before if it is legal to have Euro style plates in California? Anyone know?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Also I have wondered before if it is legal to have Euro style plates in California? Anyone know?"
Its not legal to have the plates that you want , the plates that look good , the plates that have bigger , easy to read numbers and letters . You must use the smaller , not so good looking , california plates .
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Graham L
Racer

dont take the PI$$ out of the number plate! I originally wanted B16 GRL, but the wife pointed out that it read 'BIG GIRL', which wasnt really what i was after...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It is illegal for you to carry genuine German MOT and inspection stickers if the car is not registered in Germany. This is why you cannot get them. Ask me how I know? Sad story includes non payment for the plates by the person the job was done for, but we won't go down that path.
It is also illegal to use facimiles as well for obvious reasons.
Personally I think you might be taking a bit of risk with those plates. I certainly would not drive in Europe on them. Definately would not enter Germany wearing them.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Also I have wondered before if it is legal to have Euro style plates in California? Anyone know?"
Its not legal to have the plates that you want , the plates that look good , the plates that have bigger , easy to read numbers and letters . You must use the smaller , not so good looking , california plates .
Thanks Indycam, kinda what I figured!

Originally Posted by Graham L
dont take the PI$$ out of the number plate! I originally wanted B16 GRL, but the wife pointed out that it read 'BIG GIRL', which wasnt really what i was after...
LOL, it was the first thought that came into my head when I saw it. I catually didn't consider your initials until AFTER I had read the post and then I retuned to check it again! :ROFLMAO:

The wife was definately correct on the B16 GRL BTW! have you considered seeing if just GL is available with no "R"!

BTW my plate contains my initials (HMB): "HMB 911" - I am always being asked if its a tribute to September 11th or if I work for the Half Moon Bay police!! (911 is emergency in the US ie.999 in the UK)

Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya
I like Big Girl / B16 GRL . The car is fem and big .
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
Hiya
I like Big Girl / B16 GRL . The car is fem and big .
I don't want to get into trouble....but this sounds like a lesbian personal ad!!

(There is nothing wrong with lesbian personal ads btw...I read 'em all the time..I mean...er....)
Old 08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Adrian
Definately would not enter Germany wearing them.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Why would anyone want to go there?

Graham, you know I am fond of you - but WTF? German lookalike plates......???? I look forward to discussing this at Brands
Old 08-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What's on the front? Do speed cameras in the UK get front or back?
Clearly they look like German plates with the "D" so I can imagine the Police might go to Germany first. This might pee them off a little bit when they feel they might have been fooled.
In Germany they would look like you are driving an unregistered car and every Polizei Officer that sees you, will pull you over for a chat. As will every other Police officers in all the countries inbetween that notice the lack of the two required, registration and inspection discs on the plates.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I don't want to get into trouble....but this sounds like a lesbian personal ad!!

(There is nothing wrong with lesbian personal ads btw...I read 'em all the time..I mean...er....)
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Graham, if, after all the flack, you're still interested in the German plates, I ordered my custom front plate from www.grtpl8s.com A pleasant fellow to deal with, and he shipped it from Germany to California within three days of my ordering it. He does sell the seals, too, but not to EU addresses.
Cheers,
Old 08-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Graham L
Racer

thanks for all the feedback guys - suffice it to say I now wont be buying German look-a-like plates, I'll stick with my fairly standard UK ones.

Howard - re dropping the middle initial, this pretty much adds another zero to the price of the number, hence i used all my initials! C4 and C2 prefix plates with 3 letters are pretty cheap here (£400) and can be bought straight from the DVLA - DVLA Sale of Marks

Leo (leosayer) has a cracker, but cant put it on the porker.
Saw B199 EGO yesterday on a gold jag, which looked pretty good, but the best one i've seen is 60D - which looks exactly like 'GOD'. not a cheap plate.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:26 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Graham

I have M3 MUG which used to reside on my BMW M3 Evo - bought it at the time for £250 from DVAL

I have a friend with a few Ferraris...he has EN20 on his Enzo, and MY F40 on his F40...as well as ACT10N on his testarossa.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:28 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

As an aside, does anyone do Porsche crests on number plates any more?

When I bought my car it had C2 KTB on with nice big porsche logo; even my local OPC doesn't put a crest on anymore - not even a tiny one...

Quick Reply: German style plates