Sponsored by:

Good Parts Shop LA Dismantlers? Used vs. New

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
august_mck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Parts Shop LA Dismantlers? Used vs. New

Looks like the left side blower motor is gone in my 1990 911 C4 - Most places have it around $500 for a new one, but LA dismantlers has a used one for $150 - I have never bought anything from them, has anyone had any dealings with them? Good Positive Negative?? I found the Blower Motor on Pelican Parts for $425 new - they look like a good site for parts? Again any thoughts on Pelican?? Of course local shop quoted me $615!!

A lot of money just to have the air blow on my face too bad I don't have the convert.

1990 911 C4 Baltic Blue (at least that is the color I like to quote)

link to my photo
http://members.aol.com/dclive/
Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 433 Posts

I've used them once for some brake calipers - worked out fine. I have used PartsHeaven many times over the past 6+ years and they are awesome - always good service and they stand behind what they give you which is nice.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Just keep in mind you're probably buying a motor that's as old as the one that broke on you.

Bill
90C2
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the parts for retro-fitting an on-boar computer from LA Dismantlers wnd was very happpy with the service and the state of the parts they sent me.

Take care,
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
august_mck
Track Day

Thanks for your quick response!! Yes, I know I will be getting an Old Blower Motor, but in the end I could buy two for the price of one!

Does anyone use Pelican Parts? There site looks pretty good they actually have diagrams.
http://www.pelicanparts.com
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I replaced both blower motors and one servo last month with ones from Parts Heaven. Very helpful group of lads. Total cost was $250. The parts were in very good shape, and are from a much lower milage car than mine, 168K. Just remember to read the thread about the blower motor replacement for many helpful hints.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong - I like to save a buck just as much as the next guy. But on a part like this, that could be just as old as yours and have spun around as much in the last 15 yeats as yours, it's probably ready to break too. The thing that tends to wear out in motors is the bearings. I think trying to repair the bearing with a brand new one might be a better investment.

Bill
90C2
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Pelican parts is great [at least my experience has been], and my 3 spoke steering wheel I got from LA Dismantlers is also good, although I got 2 different instrument clusters for my 996 that were incorrect from them and was unable to get it sorted by them [I actually still have the C4 Cluster (I had a C2 and it didn't work believe it or not) with silver gauges in my car--need to sell that on ebay come to think of it].

A lot of people on the 993 board have commented on how pricey some things are from LA as well considering the fact that the parts are used and out of wrecked cars.....FWIW
Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a set of Bilstien struts from them and they sold me the rears from a 964 and the fronts from a 993.

I found a suspension shop that has great prices on new struts and ended up getting new ones for only 100 bucks more than the used ones.

I know it is as much my fault by not double checking the part numbers. I ended up selling them seperatly on ebay and got most of my money back. Point is they have a lot of stuff and be sure what you buy works and is the correct part.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"LA dismantlers I have never bought anything from them, has anyone had any dealings with them? Good Positive Negative??"
I bought two parts cars from them on ebay , they asked for a $ 50K dismantling fee .
They gave me one bs reason after another why I could not get the cars I was the high bidder on .
Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 PM
greenjt
Racer

Pelican is VERY good in my experience and they seem to have a robust following. check out their board - not as good for 964 but great for the earlier models.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pelican is great to deal with. Their shipping is a little slow but they always send a follow up e-mail to make sure that you received everything and that it was in good condition. I order from them all the time. As far as the fan goes, I think you should order a new one instead of used. You'll just have to pay out the money when it goes bad again.
Just my .02
Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
august_mck
Track Day

Hey Everyone Thanks for all your comments!! I will at least try them for the $150 for the Blower Motor instead of forking over $500 bucks,, We will see what happens,, I did give them my Government Military email address and my FBI handle so many they will handle me legit,, unless they want me to pick up the phone and make a few calls to the Los Anglese Valley Office.

Anyway after talking with them on the phone they sounded a little shady to me! I will keep my eyes on them!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:39 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ebay feedback is 100% positive. They seem to be satisfying those customers.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I also have used Pelican for several parts orders. As said above, their shipping is slow (I'm not sure that it's actually the shipping but rather how fast they get the orders out to the shipping company) but the service and selection is great, not to mention the tech articles and their forum. These guys are true Porsche nuts and it shows.

c

Quick Reply: Good Parts Shop LA Dismantlers? Used vs. New