Sponsored by:

Nokia tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Nokia tyres?

I have been 'advised' by someone, who clearly has the state of his pocket in mind, that Toyo Proxes don't come close (in EVERY respect, so he says) to the Nokia tyres he sells. Apparently they're standard fit on Saabs and Volvos in Scandanavia. Has anybody used them on a 964?

Roly
'90 C4
Old 04-12-2003, 10:01 PM
eion
Instructor

That's be Nokian, right?
Old 04-13-2003, 05:00 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reminds me of the time I was stranded with a bad puncture. The only tyre place open that I could find only had Pirelli P-something-or-other, which had just been launched. I was then running on Goodyear Eagles. I was in a position where I could either buy one 'odd' tyre as a get-me-home fix, or buy a pair.

These Pirellis were being advertised as 'The tyre that thinks for itself'!

The tyre seller tried to convince me that they were better than my Goodyears... he told me 'These tyres are fantastic, they are brand new out and... they, erm... think for themselves!'

'What exactly is that meant to mean?', I asked.

'Well, they, erm... they sort of... they er..., they think for themselves!'

How could I resist!

P.S. I was ripped off - they didn't think for themselves!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:07 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Roly,
Ask this dealer to provide actual test data from installation on a Porsche. Toyo can provide this information can Nokia. By the way Nokia summer tyres would not get close to my 964. I think you maybe getting mixed up with winter tyres. Nokia winter products are quite good. Never seen them on a Porsche though. Spend the money and get a decent set of tyres.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

I'm not confused with winter/summer products (don't need to use winter tyres over here) but I'd still like to know whether anyone's used the Nokias - I mean if they make 225 tyres, there must be someone out there with them...

Clearly the dealer doesn't have any genuine data, hence my bracketed comment, but whatever tyres I do buy I won't be going back to Dodge City for them.

Roly
'90 C4
Old 04-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Christer
Race Car

Smile

Roly

check out <a href="http://www.tirerack.com" target="_blank">www.tirerack.com</a> and choose a tyre that has been tested extensively and has concrete data on its performance. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't buy a mobile phone from Toyo without a lot of positive feedback´....
Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Roly,
Tyres are a very important part of your 964. You purchase the best ones you can afford. Research and more research is what is needed. The opinions of the 964 owner are invaluable. Test data in magazines is also very helpful. However in the end it is up to yourself but believe me it is worth getting a decent set of tyres. I would recommend the Toyo T1Ss as a good value for money tyre and welltested on a range of Porsches. According to Porsche the Bridgestone SO2 N3 is available. There is no such thing as a good cheap tyre for a Porsche. I very much doubt that you will find many people who would openely admit putting Nokia tyres on their 964.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Dear Adrian and Roly:
I openly admit to putting Nokians on my 964, in fact every fall before we left Alaska. Obviously, these were for winter use. The 964 with 4 quality (and studded) winter tires is fantastic in the snow. In fact, if someone is interested in trying these, I left the set of Nokians mounted on stock design 90 wheels in Anchorage--just make me an offer.
Bob K
ex-Alaska, now Texas
Old 04-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Bob,
You are forgiven because Nokia winter tyres are very good. Studded tyres are really goon on the ice but we arelimited to 80 kph and cannot go on the fast roads or autobahns with them. I have never used studs but my wife has.
My comment was aimed at the less than admirable summer tyres or similar cheap devices.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Roly
Intermediate

A set of Toyos is on its way...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Roly, if Toyo T1-s 'don't come close', these Nokias must be very good tyres indeed.
My Toyos have been fun and foolproof wet or dry so far - the only issue may be rapid wear, but I don't yet know if that is true. And I paid ~£300 for the set! (16's, mind you). Best of all, they look GROOVY.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:39 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I thought all tyres looked groovy.
Except slicks, of course.

I'll get my coat...