Sponsored by:

Monday Happiness

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:18 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday Happiness

I changed my oil; first time under my watch; and didn't have too many issues during the process. I did find that pulling the oil filter is a PITA, and that it will leave a puddle on the floor whilst you try to get the darn thing out of the car. I also learned that the oil filter I bought online DOES not fit my car.

I decided to use mobil1- 15w50; should suffice for the 5-7K I'll do each year.

I also found out my engine tray was removed some time ago, but there are no leaks to be found.

While cleaning, I cleaned my ground connections, hoping to resolve the a/c stall and the poor radio reception; neither of which is now gone. :baghead:

so what about you; what are you happy about today?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy because you finally got that oil changed! I think the way around the puddle on the floor is to pop a small hole in it while it's still on the car. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) This allows air in and allows the oil to drain before you remove it. Also... When you put on the new filter, you can actually fill it a little over half way up with oil to help it so it's not so much of a dry start. You would think the oil would come out but it doesn't.

I'm also happy because it looks like my new company is about to sign it's first client tomorrow. The problem is... I'm now sick as a dog and don't really feel up to doing much of anything. I hate summer colds!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 AM
baltazar100
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am happy as my 8 year old daugther went to the dentist today with no cavities. It also makes me happy seeing all you happy 964 owners in here while waiting on my own.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Seight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy this Monday because yesterday I did a 350 mile round trip to Longleat, from south London taking a high speed circuitous route through country lanes and fast A roads using my marvellous Tom Tom Go to guide us.
The car ran perfectly all day and was just simply a joy. There was very little traffic and the weather was perfect. The best drive yet in the two months of 964 Ownership I've so far enjoyed.
I'm still in that "oh sh*t what if something breaks/goes wrong" mode so it was a pleasure to drive hard all day and watch my oil pressure, temp etc...all in the right places and no warning lights etc..
Great roads, great weather, even greater car. Yes I am happy this Monday.

Alex
1990 Carrera 4. Black, lowered.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Hawk,
I watched the dealer change my oil a few weeks ago. He made a hole in the filter to allow the oil to drain out. Then, before removing the filter, he put a piece of tape over the hole to prevent anything from dripping out when he removed the filter..........He made it look real easy.....
Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm happy as I got the new oak top on my workbench (PITA!) and will stain it in the next few days...

Hawk - have a look at https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/184706-newbie-oil-change-question.html in which many tips for oil changes are given (I outlined the procedure I used in post #24).

Marc
Old 08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm happy because sitting on my garage floor (i'm told) are a set of H&R Sport Springs, new Bilsteins, a set of 18" Fiske Mark V's with Michelin PS2's, and as soon as I get back from Miami they are all going to go on my car (along with fresh 15W50 Mobil 1)! And for ONCE I timed things right because I have the car scheduled for an alignment and corner balance on 8/15!

She got her new tailligts and center reflector before I left, along with a new Pioneer DEH-P860MP XM stereo (though antenna placement has become a problem).
Old 08-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

I'm happy for finding what was the most recent cause of my wife's '91 cab missing erratically. New plug wires were needed because the lower right ones were damaged due to oil leak. BTW if you don't know, new wires cost around $500 (ouch). The price of owning a 964.

I wish the heat in the Western US would let up. It gets pretty hnot in the cabs with the top up or down. The poor AC is overloaded when it is 105 F. outside.

Wife and I decided to go to the VenturaFest on 10/11 September. Great Porsche show. Hope to see some of you there.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 PM
hawk911
Race Car

thanks all for the tip; however if I'd a done that, I'd have no filter at all. The "replacement" filters I ordered do not fit the car, so I had nothing to replace the old filter with.

riddle me this Batfolks- can I still replace the filter with a new one without completely draining all the oil?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hawk911

riddle me this Batfolks- can I still replace the filter with a new one without completely draining all the oil?
Absolutely!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, just punch a hole in it and remove the oil filler cap to let the oil drain from it. Then unscrew it and discard then smear a little oil on the new filter seal and screw back in. Voila!

Marc
Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Hawk... If you had punched a hole in the filter... You would have had a new filter by now.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
hawk911
Race Car

oh yeah- I fixed my ash tray also. Wooohooo

Quick Reply: Monday Happiness