Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Selling anything retail is simply begging for aggravation that I do not need, e.g., the last time I mentioned the gadget, I was almost lynched by a few Rennlisters who accused me of posting things for several years for the sole and exclusive purpose of ripping people off with this gadget.
Understood... it just sucks for the rest of us that have great respect and admiration of the work you do and the mods made to this already unique car. I keep a folder of every photo you have posted of the car/parts.

I would like something in my car made by Robert Linton… a conversation piece if you like.

But I can understand keeping life simple and minimizing/avoiding unneeded aggravations. Life is to short for that crap.

Just keep sharing the progress of your work.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Robert,
Any idea if we could safely attach the PMS 996 cupcar breather check valve onto the stock 964?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 07-13-2005 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don´t know *anyone* that would notice a 5hp increase....ha ha....thats just laughable.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bits and Pieces

Originally Posted by Christer
I don´t know *anyone* that would notice a 5hp increase....ha ha....thats just laughable.
That's what every project is about. Our fatso 964's have a 1:12 power to weight ratio. Adding 5hp, removing 60lbs, I'm interested in both but favor the reduction in weight.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Christer
Race Car

no offence intended though...all the stuff Robert comes up with never ceases to amaze me....
Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

If I recall correctly, the engine in a prior car I had (Caddy STS with northstar) won a trade award for the design of the plastic intake manifold- the redesign allowed the power output to move from 295hp to 300hp...I believe in the 1993 and up model. That means maybe this part qualifys for an industry award too!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

This part is not cast - but axis milled and then hard anodized.
if it went to series production it would probably need to be cast - it's not economical otherwise due to the time spent on the mill (a couple of hours), but of course the part would have to be "re-certified" durability checked, etc. to make sure it lived up to the quality expectations of Bob's company and the customer.

<edited for spelling>
Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Robert,

Another alternative is to "open source" the design. Release the Pro/E file (if that the is CAD system you use) or make an IGES or STEP version available and then someone else can find a way to manufacture it and sell it in a more economical way. Sounds like this requires some additional mods in terms of sealing? Looking forward to the full explanation.

Amazing stuff Robert, thanks for sharing.

All the best,
Ricardo
Old 07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

100% positive it's machined billet Alum. it is definitly not cast.
Looks like machining marks as the part is not polished (which removes the micro marks left by the CNC mill)
Old 07-13-2005, 07:35 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Im sure ive got one of those on the end of my Dyson cleaner-if i tape it to the top of my engine im gonna get at least +15 rwhp
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

you mean this?

it looks like the tool marks contrasting with the grain of the background. IMHO
Old 07-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

First, Cartridge is not in the business of selling retail parts to anyone – nor does it ever intend to. Cartridge has the pleasure and privilege to sell parts to manufacturers of high performance vehicles such as Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG and to professional race teams in a variety of series including ALMS, F1 and NASCAR.

Second, for three years I have had the pleasure of speaking with and meeting Rennlist Members and have an unblemished record not only of talking them out of even trying to buy anything that Cartridge makes but also out of a variety of other items that I have thought either useless or potentially dangerous or both or just plain silly.

Third, I post things that I think might be of interest, am willing to help any Rennlist Member in any way that I can (usually in persuading them not to spend money) but, again, Cartridge does not sell parts to retail customers.

Fourth, this part was a derivative result of a development effort on other vehicles including the GT3 RSR and the GT3 Cup Car.

Fifth, with a dry sump boxer type engine in particular, a one-way check valve with certain resistance characteristics prohibits air from flowing from the oil tank into the crankcase thereby creating a vacuum in the crankcase which, in turn, permits the pistons to move more freely as air resistance is dissipated thereby producing additional horsepower. Depending upon which oil pump is used (as increased oil pump suction capacity increases vacuum), this might be in the range of 7 HP to 10 HP in race cars. As to street cars, after considerable dyno testing, it was determined to be appropriately 5 horsepower.

Sixth, the principal negative aspect of the part is that the additional pressure created can result in oil weep from parts of the case. To prevent this, several measures are required which, in turn, requires removal of the engine.

Seventh, the limited number of parts that have been made for friends, ten, are machined not cast.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 07-13-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I don't even pretend to understand the complexity of making these gorgeous parts, but I love looking at 'em. Are you any closer to knowing when the sum of these parts will be ready to unveil? Seeing the bits is great, but I'm even keener to see the car...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Sixth, the principal negative aspect of the part is that the additional pressure created can result in oil weep from parts of the case. To prevent this, several measures are required which, in turn, requires removal of the engine.
Robert,
What case modifications would be required to prevent (or for some of us a better word might be "reduce" ) weepage if something similar was to be installed?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robet Linton
Fifth, with a dry sump boxer type engine in particular, a one-way check valve with certain resistance characteristics prohibits air from flowing from the oil tank into the crankcase thereby creating a vacuum in the crankcase which, in turn, permits the pistons to move more freely as air resistance is dissipated thereby producing additional horsepower. Depending upon which oil pump is used (as increased oil pump suction capacity increases vacuum), this might be in the range of 7 HP to 10 HP in race cars. As to street cars, after considerable dyno testing, it was determined to be appropriately 5 horsepower
Interesting and very clever. I know expensive machining of the crank and case used to be performed on race engines to reduce air resistence inside the case. ( Still is- boat tailing / knife edging ) Rumored to increase power up to 10 hp at very high rpm. I guess the piston resistence in this case would offset since one piston is moving out against the "suck" from the case, while another back in. Still probably a net benifit since the power stroke would be improved ? Air resistence of the spinning crank would certainly be diminished. I guess the evacuated air from the crankcase would have to be vented off somewhere after the one way valve because if it was left in the system, the return would just negate the vacuum. Also intersting that it would cause oil seep since the pressure pull would be from the other direction - in rather than out. Maybe it just overworks the seals ? I guess when you set this up, you would want to make sure that it did not decrease oil pump performance since the pump would now be fighting negative pressure inside the case. Also a big time vacuum in the case would lower the boiling point of the oil and possibly cause some frothing - not sure if that would be an issue with the temps we are talking about though.

Last edited by carreracup21; 07-13-2005 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: The 5 HP Gadget