Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone leave the world of Porsche for Ferrari- and regret it? Also, other Ferrari ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone leave the world of Porsche for Ferrari- and regret it? Also, other Ferrari ?s

Guess you wouldn't be on this board if you had sold the Porsche, but has anyone done this? I sold my '87 911 to get a corvette (wanted a change after 10 years of having a 78 then 87 911)- the vette was fun the first year or so, but then I really had to get back into a 911. Searched all over, and after 6 months found my ’93 1,200 miles from where I live- the perfect 964 for me- mint, all stock, triple black, 13K miles when I bought it a few years ago (still under 20K miles now). Man, it felt so good to get back into a 911, and so good to find the right car for me after all that searching.

But, I tend to think and plan things in advance, and I’m toying with selling the 911 to get a 355 in the next year or so- I know there is no substitute for a 911, but there is no substitute for a Ferrari either. I’ve read this forum as well as the Ferrari forums for years now and know the increased maintenance etc of a Ferrari, as well as the nuances of the 355, and have been giving this a lot of thought. I tried to think of a way to keep my 911 and get a 355 or maybe a 348, but it would be just too much money for me to have tied up in cars.

My question is, has anyone here left the Porsche world for the Ferrari world? Or know of anyone who has? Have they regretted it? Did they sell the Ferrari and get back into Porsche after getting a repair bill or two? This is strictly a weekend/good weather car for me, so the rawness of a Ferrari and fact that people only tend to drive them a couple thousand miles a year doesn’t detract from anything for me. I rented a 348 spider on our honeymoon 3 years ago, and this is what started this disease I have

The 911 is so solid, I love the inside and outside design, and the bullet proof build quality and reliability. But the Ferrari is to me a work of art with an engine note even better then our 911 and the cars have a character that give a driving experience unlike other cars- even Porsches. Cars are my main hobby (don’t really follow sports, not big into travel, etc), and so for me I don’t want to live my life without ever having a Ferrari- am I nuts? I don’t want that feeling again I had with the corvette however, especially given how much I love my 964- I don’t want to regret selling it- yes it can be replaced, but I haven’t run into another 964 I would want as much since buying it, so I know a replacement would be hard to find. I either need a lot of money, or a psychiatrist…or both Anyway, my request for your thoughts goes out to all you fellow car nuts out there- especially those who have been down the Porsche/Ferrari path before….
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just do it... I would hate to live with the "what if" or "I wish I had.." If you can afford it and it is a long life dream, do it!

You can always enjoy the search for another Porsche if you decide to come back.

Ferrari owners (or previous owners) will sure chime in. Check or post in the 996TT forum, I have seen post on Ferrari ownership there.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You should switch and sell me your car
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Wachuko- I thought of that forum as well...I just posted there as well based on your suggestion. William- I still need to save more $ - not quite ready yet
Old 07-07-2005, 01:21 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

My brother owned a couple of 911s, a '74 and an '89, and a 928, and has since moved on to the Fcars, had a 360 until recently, now a 430. All great cars, and he loved 'em all when he had 'em, but no regrets for changing. He was just here to visit and drove my '90 911, and was instantly flooded with nostalgia, in a good way. The smell, the feel, the dash - there's nothing else like it.

But the classic 911s aren't going away. There'll always be one out there if you want to come back. Life is short. If you want a 355, and can afford it, just do it. What's the worst that could happen? It might cost you some money? So what?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew,

My dad was a big vett fan and I had to attend all those shows. we restored old ones and polished the new ones. Just think I had gotten enough of Vetts form hanging around with him. So, I have no desire to own one myself.
But, toying with the idea of owning a Ferarri has definately crossed my mind a few times too. I been looking at several and I think a 400-I is probably a good first Ferarri purchase, at least for me anyways. Then maybe I could turn my eyes toward one that's a bit more sporty, like 355 or 360. But, I don't think that I would give up my Porsches for one. They would have to live together.
But for right now, I have a couple really big projects to finish before I could seriously think about more cars.

Duncan
Old 07-07-2005, 05:56 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

The 400i has a lower initial purchase price (by a lot), but would probably be just as expensive in terms of maint. (have you ever seen the engine compartment of that car?) Like you, I strongly want to keep the 964....but I probably want the ferrari even more.

Indycam- the renting is what started this whole problem to begin with
Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Andrew,

I have seen the engine in several 400-I's, lets just say "HUGE". I like that car, always have. It's alittle big but the styling is unique, not unlike the Lambo Spada, which happens to be another of my favs for first. They have been on the top of the list of "I wants" sense around age 14. Just don't know when or if I'll ever get them.

Duncan
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Indy- you mean a motor in the front to match the one in back- I'm keeping her all stock

Dunasso- yes they are big, but there are hoses going everywhere! I just read about the upkeep of a 400i in a recent Forza issue- if you don't want to be tempted away from Porsche don't buy a Forza magazine however

I am a Porsche guy at heart, so I guess only time will tell what happens
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately for me, I am half German (mothers side) Cooke, and half Italian (fathers side) Casselli. So you can understand my passion of these automobiles and of coarse blondes.

Duncan
Old 07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
greenjt
Racer

Originally Posted by Dunasso
and of coarse blondes.Duncan
Old 07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Blondes, Porsches and Ferraris....a recipe for financial disaster
Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 PM
gregC2
Instructor

Dunasso; how's the boat coming along?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:53 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

OK, if I amend my statement...

blondes, porsches, ferraris and boats....a recipe for financial disaster
Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

A friend just bought a used Modena with 4500 miles on it.

The engine has two gilmer type timing belts to drive the camshafts just like any cheap hacker has.

A month or so after taking delivery my friend had one of the timing belts break and whammo the car stopped and thousands of dollars were spent since the car was off warrantee.

I think an engine flaw such as this is unacceptable in a car so expensive. Maybe at 200,000 miles but not at under 5000 miles....

Quick Reply: Anyone leave the world of Porsche for Ferrari- and regret it? Also, other Ferrari ?s