Front wishbone bushes split

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front wishbone bushes split

A footnote to my last service bill states:
1) Slight split in front suspension mount tops.
2) Front wishbone bushes split.

At the time the garage said 'no need to fix just yet'.

As I'm getting ready for next service I'd like to have an understanding of what 1)& 2) involve. Are they inexpensive rubber things which involve a lot of labour to fit?!

Anyone know of a link to a diagram which shows these bits?

Thanks in advance!
Piers
1990 C4 Coupe
54K miles
Old 10-05-2002, 08:17 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Piers

wishbones bushes are irrepairable. They are, unfortunatley, a 'replace wishbones' item, at about £160 I think.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:13 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Piers, once they have delaminated......game over!

I had mine replaced a few months ago - £160 per side, the new bush came complete in a reconditioned wishbone. The entire bill inc front realignment was £440+VAT at JZM.

It transformed the handling, there was no more high speed wandering, no diving under braking and the turn in became much crisper.

I didn't get them changed straight away and it cost me a set of front tyres, my advice would be get it done sooner rather than later.

BR
Rob W
Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob

is it possible that your handling was transformed by the alignment??? I can't imagine that delam'd bushes would lead to more diving under brakes etc etc??
Old 10-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

John & Rob

Thanks for your input.

Front tyre wear is even and no high speed wandering, so hopefully wishbone bushes are still OK but I'll budget on £320+VAT!

Ref. 'Slight split in front suspension mount tops.' Is this a split in a rubber 'thing' or in the metal?!?

Thanks
Piers
1990 C4 Coupe
55K miles
Old 10-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Brad
Instructor

I've bowed to the inevitable and decided to get the wishbones replaced when I get my next service. They were first identified as a problem in the PPI two years ago, and I've always wondered if they were in part to blame for high-speed wandering and exessively bumpy ride quality. Not sure if it will fix these problems, but there is only one way to find out!

Front lower control arms fitted including a full wheel alignment £560 + VAT - expensive, but hopefully good for another ten years! Just have to hide the receipt from the wife!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Like most other people in the UK (why don't our US friends ever report needing new bushes?) I have been through this process.

On an initial run my car didn't feel very stable at high speeds (110mph +) so at the first service I had both front bushes replaced (£450), the alignment done and the rear spoiler curtain wall replaced (£80). These all contribuited greatly but didn't quite solve the problem, so I took the car in for an alignment check, which turned out needed doing again (£200).

So now, £720 later, my car feels just great and stable on the road, especially at high speeds all the way up to its limit.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:54 PM
Brad
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Riccardo:
<strong>So now, £720 later, my car feels just great and stable on the road, especially at high speeds all the way up to its limit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really hope that having the fixes done to my car makes the same difference - went to the autojumble at PCGB HQ on Sunday and at "speed" was quite nervous, hence booking the work.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Ref. 'Slight split in front suspension mount tops.' Is this a split in a rubber 'thing' or in the metal?!?

Any ideas?!

Thanks
Piers
Old 10-07-2002, 01:30 PM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Piers, its the rubber. Stil, I think the work to repair this involves removing the shocks and realigning the car, so quite a hefty one!

Let me guess, its a JZ Mac bill? Mine was in last week and I got: "o/s n/s front top suspension mounts split (not bad)".
Old 10-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

<strong>Piers, its the rubber. Stil, I think the work to repair this involves removing the shocks and realigning the car, so quite a hefty one!

Let me guess, its a JZ Mac bill? Mine was in last week and I got: "o/s n/s front top suspension mounts split (not bad)".</strong><hr></blockquote>

dernerdernerdernerderner!
Piers
Old 10-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Piers, I have your missing information:
(are you not reading my 'V.interesting' ABS thread posts?! - also mentioned there as part of my £1.5 k service)

Anyway, just had both front suspension top mounts replaced at the OPC - they had allegedly split and caused an MOT fail. It is the rubber that splits - have a look at your mcpherson strut mounts from inside the front trunk - they are metal set in rubber.
Parts cost was £65.69 ea +VAT, labour £125.00 +VAT.
Total cost inc. vat= £300
Total difference to driving characteristics = zero.
(NB parts didn't seem much cheaper from independent suppliers)

As for Wishbones - seems to be one of the inevitables for the mature 964...
Old 10-07-2002, 02:49 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Johnny

I tried to get into your 'ABS post' but, I dunno it did'nt really do it for me!

Looks like, if the 'bushes' and 'tops' have worsened, I'll need a total front end rebuild.....excellent news for a grey Monday!

BR
Piers
I'm off to play football and kick somebody really hard!
Old 10-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

<strong>***snip***

(why don't our US friends ever report needing new bushes?) I have been through this process.

***snip***

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've also noticed this. Strange, huh? Also, on the 993 board, several people have already replaced their wishbones. But, I know of only one from the US:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004104&p=" target="_blank">Worn Wishbones on 993s</a>

When I had my steering rack, shocks, ball-joints & tie-rods replaced recently, I gave serious consideration to replacing the wishbones. But, Terry A. (the 993 owner I mentioned above) told me that the wishbones cost him $399/each. As I have no alignment/tire wear problems, I decided $800 in parts was too much for what I considered to be preventive maintenance. FWIW, I suspect if an American was to do a little shopping around, they could get the wishbones for closer to the UK price of ~$250/each.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

<strong>Like most other people in the UK (why don't our US friends ever report needing new bushes?) I have been through this process?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's difficult to generalise with the US, but having lived in Ohio and Kentucky and driven around the US quite a bit, I would say that it's due to better road surfaces combined with lower speeds (more Police on the roads).

Piers

Quick Reply: Front wishbone bushes split