Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 guy again, QUICK ADVICE needed on Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005 | 11:24 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Odds are the speedometer has been pulled....you know, the SAME GUAGE THAT SHOWS THE MILEAGE. Why oh why would someone pull this out? I'm befuddled!!!
Mine dont line up either. I have mine turned slightly to the left to read the upper MPH easier. Could be a light bulb was changed. Not sure this means much of anything
Old 06-18-2005 | 11:36 AM
Blueman33
Pro

The lister says the car has never been in an accident, but having driven it for only a month, i'm not sure he would know 100%.

The disclaimer is pretty strong: "The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage."

IS THIS TYPICAL or is this on the strong side?

The disclaimer is why I have some comfort in the feedback rating....or in this case DIScomfort with NO rating.

For you that have bought on ebay....how do you handle the PPI? In advance or an offer subject to PPI? I would like to offer subject to PPI, but don't really know how to logistically. I wrote the owner and havent' heard back.

All accounts I have read state that resale value on a salvage title is zip. Plan to drive it till the wheels fall off.

BUT there are 10 states which salvage a theft regardless of damage....CA, where this car is licensed, however is not one of them.
Old 06-18-2005 | 11:42 AM
craig001
Drifting

The car doen't look that bad. That said, pictures can be deceiving. The gauges are not a big deal. I've had mine in and out several times to detail the dash and then put a trim kit in. The hood alignment would bother me but that could just be it needs to have the hinges loosened and then straighten out. The seller says it went into a ditch and I'd say the pictures support that with the broken fog (if you get the car, contact me. I have a spare passenger side foglight assy.) and the "grin". Since these cars have alot of important thiings living in the front wheel wells (oil cooler & ac condenser) I would definately want the car up on a lift at a shop that knows 964's.

It does seem like CA has a lot of salvage title vehicles out there. Maybe they are just a part of life out there, but that could be an issue that comes back to bite you in the rear if you would ever want to sell the car.
Old 06-18-2005 | 11:56 AM
Blueman33
Pro

The back of the hood in one photo seems very pressed inward on the passenger side (where primer is showing) and a gap on the driver's side.

I really like this car, but I find myself wondering a lot. In California with a few hours left on Saturday, I don't have time to figure everything out.

If the Seller sells cars and fixes them or has them fixed, Why wouldn't the hood be adjusted to fit correctly, if it were as easy as loosening a few bolts and aligning it?

The other thing is that I went to see one locally, and it was in far worse condition that the photos indicated. but God this one sure looks good, .........just don't want to end up saving $10k and finding out the resale goes down by $8-10k, the frame is damaged, and I end up spending $$$ to repair it.

With no PPI, I may have to let someone else take this beauty. I have too much apprehension without it.
Old 06-18-2005 | 10:51 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Default What a rip off

50 minutes left and its at $14,600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting close to non salvage price????????????????

Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz
Old 06-19-2005 | 03:05 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be patient, save up your money, and do it right. This car wreaks of the old addage "you only get what you pay for." It took me over a year to find my car, and i have no regrets. Besides, hunting is half the fun!!

Old 06-19-2005 | 08:48 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Dont think it was worth the price it ended with unless its going to be a track *****.
Old 06-19-2005 | 11:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

At $14.6K it's already overpriced for a mystery car with a Salvage title...
Old 06-19-2005 | 01:18 PM
Blueman33
Pro

CLOSED AT $300 MORE THAN ASKING PRICE. The asking price on website was $15,000. Closed 15,300.

The quick quote for shipping was $1 a mile, so $1800 to nola, so I could have gotten

$15500 car
$1800 ship
$4000 (estimate of salvage title resale loss)
$???? fixing hood

So my guess is that for about $21,000 and a hood repair is what I would realistically had in the car, if everything else was fine, and that's assuming the bidding stopped at 15,500.

I'm not losing any sleep. I'd rather find one a little closer, a little more comfortable, and one I can buy subject to PPI.

Note it is referred to "One Owner" which is is not, and as "Cabriolet" which it is not. I know these aren't that big a deal, but when you add that to the "never been in an accident" though the hood is jammed into the body. (i guess running into a ditch doesn't qualify as an accident, because it was done on purpose)..........all and all, it wasn't the most comfort inspiring deal.
Old 06-19-2005 | 01:22 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Close to 17k for a salvage title car, who bought it Ben Dover
Old 06-19-2005 | 11:05 PM
Blueman33
Pro

If you see my previous posts you will see that I said I would contact the first buyer who backed out on the deal.

The Seller said the Buyer backed out due to an oil leak which they fixed by replacing the seals.

The original Buyer responded to my email and said it was discovered there was a cracked engine, (not a bad seal).
Old 06-20-2005 | 09:17 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

cracked engine! ouch!
Old 06-20-2005 | 10:32 AM
Schuey
Racer

this was for sale here I believe before...

http://www.911pcar.com/Porsche_For_S...r_sale_911.htm
Old 06-20-2005 | 10:46 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Somebody flipped it for some good money and bad car!
Old 06-20-2005 | 11:06 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Good find, Schuey..........the plot thickens.....

Junkyard asking $11,500 and P-car doesn't sell.

Then they had a big guy sit on the hood till it mashed back in, and did a fecal job at it, and proceeded to invest in a bucket of Armoral and it sold for $12,100, but the buyer backed out because of a cracked engine.

they had forgotten one thing, the dark fluid coming out of the crack in the engine

They then proceeded to "fix the seals" and gave it another shot and sold it for $15,300 on ebay!!!!!

Could this be a commercial for............."J B WELD"?

Quick Reply: 951 guy again, QUICK ADVICE needed on Purchase!