Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 guy again, QUICK ADVICE needed on Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 guy again, QUICK ADVICE needed on Purchase!

What is your feedback? This looks like a great bargain, BUT it sold once and the deal went bad because the purchaser found an oil leak (this is in the 'questions' section) and it has a salvage title and the seller has no ebay record.

But seems real cheap and in good shape.

Thank you for your input!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

wish my motor shined like that. Lots of armoral I guess
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Something is not right. The top passenger side of the hood is rubbing on the body (white primer is shown in a few of the pictures.....), the trim around the bottom of the body is missing in some places (the black strip), and there are no close up shots of the lower body trim, and it looks "creased" in a few of the wide shots....... If a PPI finds no problems, and a reputable body shop says the car is straight, then maybe it's worth pursuing, but with the salvage title, and the fact the front hood is visible "off", i'd steer clear..........
Old 06-17-2005, 07:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Without any services records or the list of parts that were replaced after the car was totalled I would walk away. Insurance companies will not total a 964 for $250 worth of bumper damage on a theft recovery. A few months ago there was another "minor" damage 993 for sale but when I went through the part lists with a potential buyer it turned out that nearly the entire front-end had been replaced (including part of the frame).
Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Blueman, perhaps one of the local guys can have a look at it for you. Price seems very, very low till now. The car looks very clean inside, leather and dash are like you would expect with this mileage. Engine bay looks also very clean. The car is qouted 15 grand on their website and it's just one of several Porsche's, doesn't mean too much but still the guy should know what he's talking about. Fixing a leaker can set you back quite some dinero in the worst case, 6 to 7.000 usd IIRC. I'm sure somebody else will step in to give some more sensible advice. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Check this. It 'sold' for $12k on june 6.

So a guy walked for an oil leak? walked for that alone? remember i'm a 951 driver so if an oil leak is a $400 fix or a $4000 fix i don't know.

But the owner says he fixed it in the quesitons.........actually he doesn't emphatically state it, merely that the deal went sour and it' s fixed.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

You are undoubtedly excited. Please consider a few things.

-As for the leak, these cars typically drip some oil. /shrug
-You are not looking at the car, driving the car, or anything else with the car yourself. Be wary.
-Consider a PPI, especially since you are not there to inspect it yourself. This guy wants to sell the car obviously, so he should go for it.
-Maybe someone can chime in with specifics, but I imagine insurance on a salvage title car is not the same as a regular one. I could be wrong, I did minimal research on this topic.
-Resale value will never be there on the car. (salvage)
-$250, as stated previously, is not anywhere near enough for this car to have been totalled. Something is not right there.
-It seems from the pictures some body panels arent mating properly. That scares me.

I know it looks like a deal and you are excited. Just remember the old adage that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. Everytime I forget that and jump in I find the water to be quicksand.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Salvage cars are just that, salvaged by insurance meaning it was cheaper to replace than repair. For 250 your not going to salvage a car period!!!!!!

JUNK
Old 06-17-2005, 09:54 PM
mxbanker
Racer

PS: Might be a good track car though!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see the mis-alaigned panels, hood, broken fog light, etc... I don't think I would buy this one even without the salvage title... Unless you could get it for $10k... and I'd still worry then. I'd almost bet this one has some sort of frame damage.

Just my .02
Old 06-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I have sent an email asking if a purchase could be contingent on PPI. I'm not going to waste anyone's time or my money to be playing games, but I'm not going to buy it without it.

If he has a problem with a PPI, then there must be a reason.

It STILL seems odd that a buyer walked away at $12k on this car...that isn't a good sign. That isn't sitting well with me. Hey, maybe I can contact him and see what's up.

I have seen pristine cars go for $21-26k, and i haven't been watching that long, not 12k.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I would walk away on this one, unless for track car purposes only. Too many loose ends, to be honest...
Old 06-18-2005, 03:18 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a small ruler and look at the photo of the gauges. Put the small ruler over the the bottom edge of the top set of warning light indicators on the left most gauge. Notice that the edge of the ruler is parallel to the "1/min x 1000" on the RPM gauge. Now put the edge of the ruler over the top edge of the mileage indicator on the speedometer and compare it to the "1/min x 1000" label on the RPM guage. Notice anything? THEY DON'T LINE UP!

Odds are the speedometer has been pulled....you know, the SAME GUAGE THAT SHOWS THE MILEAGE. Why oh why would someone pull this out? I'm befuddled!!!

By the way, on that car a leak could very well be an $8000 job if it's the infamous cylinder head problem (and that's one of the years that had them).

Old 06-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Blueman33
Pro

There is no ebay feedback. Perhaps the person who walked on the deal must have agreed not to leave it.

Some of these guys, like Victory Motors in Texas have 100% positive feedback with 100 deals done through ebay. If they were selling this car, I wouldn't even be worried.

I still have not heard if the owner will accept bid predicated on PPI.

$8000 repair would be a helluva surprise.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Feedback is not the only measure for eBay trustworthiness. If you look, Victory Motors has several withdrawn by mutual agreement. That said, Robert buys many of his cars on eBay, details them and then relists. Many dealers use eBay to generate leads rather than sell the car since a $50 listing gets you much wider exporsure than running an ad in the local paper for close to the same money.

Quick Reply: 951 guy again, QUICK ADVICE needed on Purchase!