Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
nlimjoco
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I am a new to this forum and their has a been a lot of great information. I purchased a 1990 C2 on 9/03 and recently needed tires. Do any of you have any suggestions on tire brands, can I got wider??? It is not a track car, it is barely a sunday driver. The car has 46,000 miles on it. I currently have ContiSportContacts, front 205/50/17, rear 255/40/17.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nate
Old 06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nate,

Welcome!!!

I run my C4 on Bridgestone SO4s. Great tires, but I have not tried others so no benchmark.

If you have not already bought the "Bible", Adrian Streathers 964 book has a section on tires and rims. I strongly recommend you buy it.

Take care,
Old 06-08-2005, 07:02 PM
mxbanker
Racer

I have Bridgestone Potenza SO3's and they stick like glue on my C4. Had Dunlops Sports before and they were good but I like the Bridgestone better performance wise. I dont believe these wear very well though. Also depends on climate, as I am in sunny So Cal. Would not advise wider for street use/compatibility with stock setup. My .02 cents! Many other listers are probably more qualified
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE950's on my 964. They are about the same price as SO3's, but have a slighter harder compound for longer wear. Personally I wouldn't go with Kumho's or Sumitomo's. My car came with Komho Ecasta's, KH-something, and had a blow out on the way home from picking up the 964. They are hard to find in a pinch locally, I could find them and ended up driving 50 or so miles on my spare into Joplin, MO and found a Firestone Dealer that had the size tire I needed for the Rear. I just bought four so the tires were the same on all four corners. I had Sumtiomo HTRZ-II's on my 944S2 and didn't really care for the ride/handling.

Tire Rack has good prices, but you need to figure in Mounting & Balancing at a local Tire Rack Partner. If you check the Sunday paper there are all sorts of 25% off sets of four, etc. Then you have the tires and the "comfort" of knowing that you can go into any Firestone (in my case) Dealer and get a new tire under the Extended Warranty if you need one. I've all ready used it once when I picked up a screw right where the sidewall curves into the tread. They didn't feel safe repairing the tire and just gave me a new one for $32. I don't remember where that number came from, but in return I got a $150 tire w/mounting and balancing.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:43 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

nlimjoco, I have the same tires on my car. It is recommended that you have both front & rears the same make and model (in case you didn't know). I replaced my rears in the spring. Seems they last 9-12,000 miles.... Happy tire hunting and good luck with the car!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

running mich pilot sports on my 90 c2. stock 16 inch wheels. First set of new tires ont he car, so I can't compare for you. I can say they are incredibly safe, even in the rain. You get warning before they fully let go, contrary to the set it had on it when I got it. Probably not as performance oriented as s02's (the treadwear is better), but I like them quite a bit.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's wrong with the ContiSports?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Kismet
Instructor

I've just fitted my third set of Continental Sports Contact 2 N2s on the rear of my car. I get circa 12k miles out of the rears and 24k miles out of the fronts. I think they are a good balance between wear, price and handling. I do a high milage but little on the track.

As the man said, you must have the same make tyres front and rear or the handling will go to pot. I believe you can fit 225 45% tyres on the front with 3-5mm spacers but I've not tried it.

Regards
Kismet
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

I installed a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3's on my 91' C2 last summer and they are simply the best tires I've every driven on. Their wet and dry road grip is remarkable. I have 255's rear and 225's front on 17 inch wheels and the car can now reach performance levels I previously thought impossible. Have a look at the reviews on these tires. It's hard to find anything negative about them.

LINK
Old 06-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

Does Costco carry any of the brands/sizes that are mentioned? I am very impressed with their road hazard insurance and lifetime rotation program. They also inflate with nitrogen, which is neat stuff for maintaining proper pressure. I have used them for my everyday cars.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
nlimjoco
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Garwick
Does Costco carry any of the brands/sizes that are mentioned?
Yes they do and I'm heading out the door in 5 minutes to order 2 new SO-3's. Costco's prices are about $10USD more than tirerack but there is no charge for shipping or mounting & balancing so you save few dollars.
The rears I'm replacing have somewhere around 15k miles on them. For the next tire change I'm switching back to Michelin Pilots they are just as grippy and last longer (and cost about the same).
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also Costco might not mount and balance your tires if it came with 16" rims according to their book and you have 17" or 18" rims on your car.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
I went to costco and asked , they had one tire type , a mid level bridgestone for way to much money .
Indy,
Any tire listed online at Costco can be ordered/fulfilled at your local warehouse.

Originally Posted by Indycam
I think I got better tires from tirerack for less money , total total .
I'm curious what people pay around the country for tire mounting and balancing? Around here its about $20/each for mounting on a machine that doesn't touch the rim and for balancing on a Hunter machine. On top of that it would be $26 for shipping two 17" 255/40s. How far do they bend you over to ship tires to Hawaii?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 PM
jdodson
Advanced

Amen to Sydney B's comments on the Goodyear F1 DS-G3s! I've had them on my 91 C2 for about 2 years and love em as summer tires. In the winter, in snow they have no blocking and are equivilent to racing slicks. Previously had Bridgestone OS2's which were very noisy and hard as rocks in the cold.

Quick Reply: Tires