Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone spun out in their 964's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 09:03 PM
bobinbuff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Has anyone spun out in their 964's?

Winter started late in Buffalo so I drove my 90 964 to the golf club a few days ago for one last round. Coming out of the course I floored it turning onto the road in auto,cold engine. Rear end came around, I turned into it and hit the brakes and did a perfect 180. Haven't lost the rear end since my old 73 911t with worn tires. Dry pavement, no OH involved, no damage to car just my ego as my playing partner was watching from the parking lot.I guess you shouldnt underestimate the low end torque of these cars! Car is now safely in my garage until spring!
Old 12-16-2001, 11:18 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

I spun two weekends ago. It happened as I crossed the finish line on the second run of my first PCA auto-x with the car (I've had my 964 for almost a month).

Prior to my 964, I had a Boxster. After three years of driving the 986, I decided that I wanted a car that would make me a better driver, not a car that made me drive better.

The 964 definitely falls into that category. It will *not* allow me to get away with the bad habits that the 986 gracefully concealed.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:39 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
I drive my 964 thru the winter in the Chicago/ Northwest Indiana area. In snowy and cold conditions, controllability is highly related to the tires. The original Bridgestones were impossible. I currently run a Dunlop (mud and snow) on all 4, and it's absolutely no problem. I had an earlier 911SC that was no problem in the snow with Pirelli's. The 964 is a fun winter car, and I'm always a little mystified that everyone puts them away when the snow falls.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:28 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys, you keep using the auftragsnummer 964. However it would be more helpful in these types of questions to tell us if you have a C2, C4, Turbo.
This is not the time of year (Northern Hemisphere) in most places to be flooring it, on cold tyres, not even a C4. Not a good idea with a cold engine either.
I would guess that the spinner was on summer tyres as well.
The C4 spinner is Irishdriver but he is not around at the moment.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 12-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Jack667
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts
I spun 3 times this year on road courses during DE events - once at Mt Tremblant, Watkins Glen, and New Hampshire Speedway. Also - atleast once at the AutoCross.
I have recently been experimenting with Sway bars for my C4, and I think I finally have the understeer / oversteer situation under control.
Each spin was on Hoosier R tires, and was due to driver error. Trailing throttle oversteer usually, induced by fear, due to post-apex speeds above the driver's comfort zone.
Check http://www.ranrace.com/spin.mpg
to see a 2.2MB video of the WG spin...
Jack
Old 12-17-2001, 10:57 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I spun my C2 on Turn 9 at Willow Springs Raceway -- a perfect example of lift throttle oversteer. I knew not to lift, but I didn't realize that even backing off on the throttle (say, to slow down 5 mph) "counted" as lifting. Well, obviously it counted! It was a valuable lesson, and no one was hurt.

Bob in Buffalo, it almost sounds like your spin was due to bad traction combined with too much power being applied. Were the roads wet or icy?

-- Melissa
Old 12-18-2001, 10:55 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I spun my RS America on a highway onramp. Imagine the surprise of the cars behind me when I was suddenly facing them

The spin was a result of too much power applied in too tight of a turn in combination with a slightly moist road surface.

No one was hurt, but I was much wiser after that...
Old 12-20-2001, 08:24 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi

no spins (yet!!), but notice that the tiptronic, when cold, starts in 1st gear. It doesn't default to 2nd gear starts until the engine warms up a bit. This very nearly caught me out on a greasy, damp road in the cold north of England.

Bye
Old 12-20-2001, 08:33 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Today, right now actually is perfect spinning weather. 15cms of snow in the past six hours. Nice and cold and nice and icy. Tis a take care day today.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Has anyone spun out in their 964's?