Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 964 Tiptronic, performance upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 964 Tiptronic, performance upgrade???

I am a three week owner of a Tiptronic ’93 C2 and curious to learn if anyone has worked on the performance of a Tip 964? I asked my mechanic the same question and his answer is to leave it along. His point is that the tiptronic transmission is well balanced with the stock engine and unlike the manual transmission, increasing the horsepower on a tip may create more problems for me down the road.

I didn't pursue exactly what his concerns were at the time I asked the question but I beleive it had to do with the mapping of the transmission and increasing the performance may not provide the same peformance gains as a manual transmission......the Tip for me is a perfect match and I have zero complaints. But I maybe interested in improving the performance down the road if it possible.

Do you agree with his statement? What upgrades have you done on a Tip 964 without breaking the bank and have you experienced any problems with the transmission?

Thanks…Ron
’93 C2 Guards Red
Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that the Tiptronic gear box is a very robust transmission and possibly one of the strongest Porsche ever designed. Not sure about mapping it though. I imagine a few exra HP would not be a problem for it.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Robert Linton's "Humpty Dumpty" car has a tiptronic and I am sure his engine makes way more power than stock!! It's so pretty it just has to!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes Bob car has a Porsche motorsports RSR(+++) motor (non-turbo) altough his Tip has special programing (full manual mode, no-rpm limiter) and other goodies. Been a while since we discussed it so i am a bit fuzzy on the details.
there is no after market chip or brain that i am awaire of for the 964 tip
Old 06-08-2005, 03:42 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tip has several modes it can select. These are dependant on how the car is being driven.
ITs has its own ECU, monitor/connected to the engine ECU (DME), and has sensors for throttle position, acceleration, lateral forces etc. It is considered to be built like the "proverbable brick out house". I can dig out the tech spec, and the gear change mode patterns if you need them.

HTH

P.s No DMF or clutch worries either
Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

OK....from someone who had a tip. You can have different gears made...that's right they need to be made. Powerhaus can do it. I think when I looked at it it was about $3.5k for a few gears then there's the cost of putting them in the gearbox. I don't see the need to reprogram as I always use manual. I like having the limiter in 1st as you get it to upshift and never have to worrry about an over-rev.

Also, I know Bob was looking for a limited slip and that also needed to be made. He was thinking a "group" buy at about $1.5 ea. You may want to contact him. I did at one point but did not get a response.

You can't kill the tip...it is strong strong strong. If I didn't live in California I was going to get the supercharger for the engine and that is the best ticket with the way the car is geared. If you can do that in your state...go for it...you'll get a tire burning great beast...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 AM
ronone10
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of some modest performance changes to start with like an aftermarket chip and Fabspeed cat bypass. But not sure if they will benefit a tip...will you notice any performance gains?

I've got the supercharger on the radical side of my short list. Do you have any more info on it...Web Site of a company who makes one (recommended)?

Thanks...
Ron
'93 C2 Guards Red
Old 06-08-2005, 08:04 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Only mods I did to my Tip C2 was a B&B...made the back of the car much lighter (gets rid of stock muffler and stock primary muffler)+ gave it some good umph...set off a lot of car alarms though Big brakes and suspension mods and it was a lovely driver. Enough to keep things interesting.

Several folks do the supercharger. YOu should do a search on this and the 993 forum to see who bought what, where, etc.

I thought it would be the ultimate sleeper. Basically you'd smoke most C2/C4s out there including the RSA. Its a bunch more HP but more fun a bunch more torque.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Some of the "performance" stuff I did to my Tip:

1. Suspension upgrades - Bilstein HDs + H&R Turbo lowering springs + Upper Strut Brace (Everything is dialed-in according to Euro RS Specs.)
2. Cup Airbox (You can make one or buy one. I did it for the sound!!!)
3. Primary or Secondary by-pass (I use the primary by-pass for street and secondary for track but never both at the same time. The primary gives more HP/top end, and secondary give more torque/acceleration.)

One way I keep the Tip in "tip top" condition is to do a DME/Tip reset every time I change the oil (see 964 DIY section for instructions). The reset clears the adaptive memories in "Auto" modes. BTW, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the board.

Quick Reply: C2 964 Tiptronic, performance upgrade???