Fuel Filler Neck Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Fuel Filler Neck Replacement

I took the time to change my fuel filler neck today to avoid the fuel smell, in the trunk and outside, every time I made a hard turn. Here are the steps I did. I hope it helps!!

(Please know that there is another site from a fellow Rennlister with similar documentation and for all practical purposes this thread is not really needed. The one in John's WebSite is based on a Rennlist post but I could not find the original post here... and I wanted Rennlist to have its own I guess, so... anyway, here is the link to that one Curing the Fuel Odour Problem in the 964 Trunk
And here is mine:

If your car is experiencing fuel odor in the trunk or outside there are a few things to check I will start with the least expensive ones (be sure to take out the front trunk carpet and clean it well. This will remove any old fuel smell once you have done any or all of the fixes listed here:

1. Check all hose clamps are secured. This also includes the tube going to the carbon canister.
2. Fuel cap seal. This seal can be purchase separately for around US$3-4.00 or you can just buy a new fuel cap.
3. Vent valve at the top of the small fuel tank on the drivers side could be craked. Part No. 964 201 175 01

4. Fuel Filler Neck. This part is in its 7th revision with the most recent part number being 964 201 043 07. Here are photos comparing the old and the new:

New:

Old:

Last edited by Wachuko; 07-30-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

To remove the old filler neck start by opening the bonnet/hood and removing the carpet in the left side of the car (closer to the gas cap).

This is what you will see:

You will see two hoses. Loosen the clamps. The first hose clamp requires a 7mm socket or the use of a flat screwdriver. I found the use of the socket to be faster.

Pull the hose out of the way to reach the second one. For the second hose clamp you can only use a flat screwdriver.

Once loose, pull the hose from the filler neck. Now on to the other end.

Open your fuel tank filler door (if you don’t know how to do that by now please stay away from any work on this car). Proceed to unscrew/remove gas cap.

Using large snap ring(circlip ring) pliers take out the snap ring (circlip ring) that holds the filler neck in place.

Remove the plastic washer that is under it. Please take notice of its direction. It needs to be installed back in the same way or you will cover the drain hole if installed incorrectly (squared end goes up, between the two bolts).

Snap ring (circlip ring) and plastic washer removed:

Now that the hoses are out of the way and the filler neck free… wiggle the old filler neck out… it helps to push it gently from the outside with one hand while you pull it out from the inside with the other hand.

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-04-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Installing is, as they say, the reverse of removing…

Insert the new filler neck. Make sure as you are inserting it back in place that it comes out enough to see the groove where the snap ring goes. Notice I have not removed the plastic temporary caps at the end... those need to come out before you hook up the hoses...

Install the hoses. Tighten the clamps

Install the plastic washer (squared side up).

Install the snap ring. Screw the gas cap back in place.

Close the fuel door.

Install the carpet. Close the bonnet/hood and you are done!! If you did like me (I let the gas go very, very low before tackling this task) go to the gas station and refuel. Check for any vapor leaks (do not smoke or light a cigarette while you do this, please…)

Old 06-04-2005, 01:19 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaime - thanks for this. Mine had, until recently, been quite free of petrol smells, but the heat and the activity at the Nurburgring last week had it starting to smell.

Having seen your post, it looks much easier than I had anticipated, so I'm now going to tackle it immediately - maybe even before Scotland next weekend.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I'll always thought this would be a PITA but your photos make it look easy.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for posting the instructions. Replacing the fuel filler neck is on my, very long, to do list.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Open your fuel tank filler door (if you don’t know how to do that by now please stay away from any work on this car).

Well done - got the same part last week but have yet to put it in. Excellent write up.

Comment: snap rings and pliers are also called "circlip" rings and pliers, in case anyone can't find a set of snap pliers.

Question: aside from snapping photos, how long did it take you?

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 06-05-2005 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw

Well done - got the same part last week but have yet to put it in. Excellent write up.

Comment: snap rings and pliers are also called "circlip" rings and pliers, in case anyone can find a set of snap pliers.

Question: aside from snapping photos, how long did it take you?

Marc

I will update with both names to avoid confusion

All in all, less that 40 minutes (that included drinking an expresso with my father-in-law.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:06 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Great pics and info! Much easier than I thought.

How much does the filler neck cost?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

is it the same procedure for a 1991 964 turbo 2 i can smell fuel also in the car can this be caused by the filler neck problem
Old 06-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime,

Excellent tutorial... Thanks... I think I may need to do this in the near future. I have a few questions for you though...

1. Is there an easy way to tell if you have the newer neck or one of the older revisions by just looking at it? Where is the part number located? Do I need to take it out just to check the part number?

2. Where did you buy your part? At the dealership or online?

Thanks again... Great pics...

Rick
Old 06-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 2
is it the same procedure for a 1991 964 turbo 2 i can smell fuel also in the car can this be caused by the filler neck problem
Should be the same procedure. I show same part numbers and my car is a turbo body conversion with facotry parts. You should be fine following the same steps.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Smokin
Jaime,

Excellent tutorial... Thanks... I think I may need to do this in the near future. I have a few questions for you though...

1. Is there an easy way to tell if you have the newer neck or one of the older revisions by just looking at it? Where is the part number located? Do I need to take it out just to check the part number?

2. Where did you buy your part? At the dealership or online?

Thanks again... Great pics...

Rick
Without taking the old one off... humm... I would think you will be able to tell by the differences from looking at the opening of the old vs the new...

New:

Old:

Notice the extra two holes on the border of the new one

I bought mine from Sunset Imports ... but I can't find the invoice... it was one of those invoices I threw away before the wife got a hold of it... it had a set of 1:43 water cooled Porsche set, all the maintenance kit, valve cover (ouch), etc... I have a spreadsheet where I wrote down the cost as US$ 95.96, best to call Sunset Porsche and validate.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Great pics and info! Much easier than I thought.

How much does the filler neck cost?

See previous post...

I have a spreadsheet where I wrote down the cost as US$ 95.96, best to check by calling Sunset Imports... when I was searching for the part it was the lowest price I could find.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jaime... Just what I thought... I need to replace mine. I get that whiff of gas fumes from time to time when I open my hood.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filler Neck Replacement