Sponsored by:

Odd problem - Who can help?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd problem - Who can help?!

Here goes. The car always starts fine and runs well, I drive it for 5 mins or so, stop, fill up with petrol, then start the engine and drive off - but sometimes the car runs rough!

It's not petrol because it sometimes happens even if I just pop into a shop etc it just feels like it is missfiring, hesitating.

This also mainly seems to happen when the weather is warmer as it has been recently. I have replaced the coils, it's had a new air flow meter so count them out! Do I need a new o2 sensor?

Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:29 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default guess

bad gas cap
Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
brookewebb
Instructor

Not sure what that means!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had problems that were similar that were fixed by replacing the oxygen sensor. Given your sensor is pretty old and a new one is about $85, it's not a bad start.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dirty fuel filter?

Marc
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
"Dirty fuel filter?"
Please elucidate on this .
"Not sure what that means!"
A dirty fuel filter can slow/stop the flow of gas/petrol and can cause performance problems; IE stalling, hesitation, poor throttle reponse, no start, etc.

I thought, "Dirty fuel filter?" explained it all... Just me though I guess...
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

Also, there is a nice little temperature sensor at the front of the engine that is notorious for failing. It is a bear to get at and is generally good practice to replace it whenever the engine is dropped.

That sensor may cause the engine to run erratically if the computer sees an incorrect temperature.

Marv
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
A dirty fuel filter can slow/stop the flow of gas/petrol and can cause performance problems; IE stalling, hesitation, poor throttle reponse, no start, etc.

I thought, "Dirty fuel filter?" explained it all... Just me though I guess...
Yeah, I kinda thought it was clear what I was suggesting.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I thought Indy was just having you on, referencing the earlier post about the gas cap.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Brookewebb is a new member... I don't think he was privy to the gas cap threads that have been floating around here... He didn't know about the gas cap sealing being an issue.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default hi

i thought that it might be the gas cap as some systems depend on pressure to run right. it could be anything. how about having the codes pulled on the car as we are just guessing. could be broken belt and all sorts of things, too expensive to throw parts at it. i was not joking about the gas cap i just jumped to this thought as you were mentioning getting gas.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Fuel filters can be a bit like having a ping-pong ball floating around in your gas tank. They can work fine sometimes and then the flow of gas dislodges something or otherwise blocks the flow and then you have problems. Just like having something rolling around in the gas tank. Sometimes the pickup will suck it up and the line gets clogged... Stop the car... release the pressure and then everything goes back to the way it was... Only to appear again in the future.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

It could be that it takes 5 minutes for all the stuff to work loose.. Then, once free, it clogs after restart. After sitting overnight... It takes another 5 monutes to work loose again. Stranger things have happened. I don't know it that is the culprit here... But it's worth checking out... Especially if the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while. Just my .02

I have a rough idle now too. I reset the DME, let it idle for a while then took it on a "spirited drive"... It won't idle now. I've had caps & rotors, fuel filter and my 02 sensor just came in... When I have the time (In a few weeks) I'm going to have "Porsche Weekend" and change all that plus change the brake fluid.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

brookeweb,
Have you tried replacing (or better yet jumpering) the DME relay? Before you start replacing anything else try to find someone (a shop) with a Bosch Hammer. They can check out your O2 and CHT sensors (or you can with a multimeter). What model year is your 964?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:19 AM
brookewebb
Instructor

The car is a 1989 C4.

I've had the car on a hammer which returned no fault codes - this was what led to me replacing the coils, which actually did help. The DME was replaced at the same time. I have done a full reset since, following the instructions on here. It really does seem to be the warmer weather as it was a dream throught the winter. Given my other post about organising the rally to monte-carlo and the heat involved I need to get this sorted! I guess that because the problem is only very intermittent the Hammer won't show it unless it experiences it 'live'. Just had the annual service - do they replace the fuel filter as part of that? I've also, god forgive me, put some of that expensive fuel injector treatment through it about 3000 miles ago. didn't do it any harm, but not sure about the good either....

Don't worry IndyCam - I wasn't offended in the slightest. I am a total Noob who gets his car serviced by the pros - in fact I am only really qualified to polish the car at weekends!

Quick Reply: Odd problem - Who can help?!