Sponsored by:

Powerflex bushes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
adewatson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerflex bushes

I had my front wishbones bushes replaced in February (around 4000 miles ago) with Powerflex Polyurethane items.

The front end has since made a "squelching" noise when going over speed bumps etc.

It sounds like rubber on rubber contact, has anyone else experienced this or have any other ides as to the culprit of the noise?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the powerflex bushes are made of polyureathane, then you will probably have to lubricate them periodically.

When I used to used polyurethane sway bar bushings, I frequently had to lube them.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
adewatson
Instructor

Any suggestions on a good lubricant?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:49 PM
a964man
Instructor

Ade
I have some polyureathane bushes waiting to be fitted, did you use Dave at RS Porsche for the work?
Cheers Andrew
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I have had these bushes for about 1.5 years - no noises - but the grease supplied was put on the pins.
How about the bellows on the strut tops ?I f these are sealed up they can act like an air pump and make strange noises.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:10 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I have also a set waiting to be mounted. Did you notice anything else beside the noise, any significant improvement in handling or stability?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Wink

No noises,Wheels felt more connected to the steering!Subtle stuff but the steering response felt more dirrect and ride comfort etc as stock.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Odd though it may sound, you can often quiet them up with talcum powder before installation. It seems to help with the more "creaky" noises versus the higher pitched "squeaky" sound which I've found on ther brands of cars & bushings to be solvable w/grease. Specifically white lithium.

Quite often people associate a radical improvement in handling because they are replacing a complete worn out bushing. It's much tougher to tell the improvement if you first tried new OE rubber bushings.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adewatson
I had my front wishbones bushes replaced in February (around 4000 miles ago) with Powerflex Polyurethane items.

The front end has since made a "squelching" noise when going over speed bumps etc.

It sounds like rubber on rubber contact, has anyone else experienced this or have any other ides as to the culprit of the noise?
I have kind of a dumb question... Were the bushings lubed prior to installation? The HP tech shows always show greasing them prior to installation. They warn if you don't that they will squeek like crazy.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:01 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerflex bushes come with (what looks like "copper slip") a lubricant, for the inner shafts. It is important that when fitting, that the bushes are a tight fit in the arms, or are bonded to them using locktite or similar. You want the arms to pivot on the s/steel shafts. Not the old bush outer housing.
I fitted mine 6 weeks ago, no noises what so ever.
As the shafts have grooves, and the bushing have internal spiral groove moulded in. Putting any sort of lubricant on the outside, is not going to hit the spot (IMHO).
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

If you are fitting Polyurethane bushes you should only really use a 'Silicione Grease' or a 'teflon spray'. These two products will not attack or damage the characteristics of the Polyurethane.

Just a thought while we're talking about these bushes. When you have fitted the bushes, i would think that it is best NOT to tighten any of the nuts/bolts until the suspension has 'some' ground weight imposed upon it. Otherwise, if you fully tighten the nuts/bolts, you could cause the bushes to twist when the full load of the car is placed upon them, this could be the cause of the 'squeaking noise'...
Just my 2 pennies...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
adewatson
Instructor

Thanks for the answers guys, certainly some things to check out.

I must say that handling certainly feels more direct since they were fitted, it's just a shame about the noise!

Andrew, yes Dave @ RS Posrche fitted them.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 PM
AK
Instructor

Does any one have a US source for these bushings? I know a BMW place that can get them but not until their next order in 6-8 weeks.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

You could check with the importer for the US here

Quick Reply: Powerflex bushes