Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearcoat on 964s? Removal of micro-fine scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 12:54 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clearcoat on 964s? Removal of micro-fine scratches?

Well, as I was sliding sideways across the finish line during my 2nd run at today's Peachstate PCA auto-x, several things went through my mind...

1) "Both feet in!"
2) "Well, I hit that last cone, but at least I'm not going to hit anything solid. ...like that big light pole that keeps getting closer..."
3) "S#$%! S#$%! S#$%! S#$%! S#$%!"
4) "How am I gonna buff out the scratches from that darn cone?"

...pretty much in that order.

So, now my questions:

1) Were 964s clearcoated? Somebody told me once that he thought Porsche didn't clearcoat non-metallic paint until '96. My 964 is Guards Red.
2) Would the presence of clearcoat (or lack thereof) affect the product I would want to purchase to buff out micro-fine scratches?
3) Is there a consensus as to what the best product is?
4) What is the best method/material for application?

TIA

Old 12-03-2001, 02:48 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Bob;

My 93 RSA was not clear coated, Guards Red, The products that I have had the best luck with are made by 3M, To get out light scratches use Finesse-it II Finishing Material, product number #05928, this is not a heavy rubbing compound, it is designed to remove 1500 grit or finer scratches. Then for a top coat I recommend Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze, product number #05941. This summer I made the switch from traditional electric buffing pads to the 3M Hook-it foam pad machine system. It is like night and day. It is very easy to use.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:34 PM
Fletcher..
Intermediate

Not sure about the clear coat issue, but I have always used Zaino car care products - Zaino Bros' (not as harsh as the 3M stuff) and have had very good results
Old 12-04-2001, 06:28 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Sounds like you had a blast at the autox!

Anyway, there's lots of great sites on car care, and here's a good one:

Car Care Online

I've included this link because:

1. It has Larry's opinion on each product. I think you're looking for some input on that, so this is a good place to start.
2. He has worked on Porsches, and knows how products work on German paint vs. American or Japanese paint.
3. Larry is a good guy to do business with -- very proactive in taking care of his customers.

By the way, I've used Zaino too, and my roommate won't use anything else on her C5 Corvette. I got better results with the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze/Blitz wax than I did with the Zaino, but a variety of factors could have affected the results. (I don't think I let the Zaino dry long enough, so it streaked.)

Seems like there was a thread on the 993 board where a bunch of folks tried Zaino and thought it was wonderful stuff.

As far as cone scuffs go, try the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze -- I think it has just the right amount of abrasion -- not too aggressive. If that doesn't work, you might try the Klasse Car Polish in the Red Bottle.

If you use the 3M, follow it up with a nice wax (I use Blitz.)

Take care, and please keep those beautiful pictures coming our way!

-- Melissa
Old 12-05-2001, 01:09 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about several of the products mentioned.

When I bought my Boxster a few years ago, I purchased some supplies through Car Care Online. I recall talking to Larry Reynolds. He's a great guy. He even sent a bunch of door prizes for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit (a Boxster gathering that I co-plan).

Melissa, until I get off my lazy butt and post more pictures of my 964, here's a link to my web site. There are some Porsche-related odds and ends there, but no 964s. ...yet.

Chapman B.S. (Cars)
Old 12-07-2001, 10:47 AM
Fletcher..
Intermediate

Melissa,

You can't trust those Corvette owners Thats funny your roommate uses Zaino to, I actually found out about it on the Corvetteforum. I wasn't sure if Porsche owners liked it or not.

Quick Reply: Clearcoat on 964s? Removal of micro-fine scratches?