Sponsored by:

Jackstand (4) placement on 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 01:32 PM
rich beebe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jackstand (4) placement on 964

I have checked the archives on this, but I could not find an answer to my specific question. This is my first 964 and it's not totally clear to me what the easiest method of getting a 964 up on jackstands is. I saw in the archives that you can jack from the rear jack plate and put a stand in the front and a 2nd stand under the shock mount in the back. Obviously, the jack is currently in the way of putting a jackstand under the rear jack plate. My question is, is this safe to do (under the rear shock mount) for more than short term? I have sold the rim/tire combo on my car and I don't have new tires mounted yet. So, the car has to sit on jackstands for some length of time - could be weeks. If the shock mount is not a good solution, what should I attempt to do?

What do you track guys do between sessions or when you have to make suspension adjustments/change tires at the track? I used to race a BMW in SCCA and we had plenty of jackstand placement options. With the full length tray under the 964, including the engine tray, it's not nearly that easy on this car.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts
Rich;

If you are going to have the car on stand for some time I would remove the engine tray, and transmission/forward tray. This will give you some good access and mobility around key components under your car. I start with placing the hydraulic jack under the left rear, I jack the car up and place a concrete or wood block under the wheel, I place a jack stand under the front jack pad. I then do the same for the right side. I then jockey the jack around to the main transmission mount and jack the rear of the car up. I place stands under the rear jack pads. I always place a piece of wood between my jack and car. Some use a hockey puck. If my rear tires are on, or one is on, I tend to keep a block under them anyway. I feel a little more safe, if I'm under the car.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rich:

Just a side note: You may want to take that engine tray off and hang it on the garage wall. It helps keep the motor a bit cooler.

Jay
90 964
Old 12-07-2001, 12:03 AM
rich beebe
Intermediate

Jay,

I've heard many people suggest the same thing and I likely will remove it when i replace my exhaust in the next few weeks. Funny thing is though, I've found that my car runs quite cool as it is. I know it will be fine with it off, but I certainly don't NEED it to run any cooler. I'd do it just to be able to get the car up on jackstands easier though. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:06 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts
Rich;

If for some reason you plan on keeping your on, I would definately punch 2 large rectangular holes in the tray directly under the heat exchangers. If you do not want to ruin yours there are plenty of people that have spares that they would probably just give you. Your RSA will thank you.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:57 AM
rich beebe
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up, Keith. It's great to be able to find this type of information out on forums like this. I considered starting up a RSA-specific yahoogroup (since Keith's RSA forum @ rsamerica.net isn't up an running yet) just so we could all have a mailing list/forum to discuss topics on, but Keith really wants the forum to be related directly to the site (not that mine was meant to be a replacement). I guess with the Rennlist's 964 forum, we can live a little longer without something specifically for the RSA. Thanks again Keith.

Quick Reply: Jackstand (4) placement on 964