Sponsored by:

Switch on emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Switch on emergency brake

While troubleshooting my cab top I opened up the center console. Found the wire at the rear of the emerg. brake handle hanging free attached to a strip of copper about and inch long and 1/4 inch wide. One end has a male spade end on it. Is this part of the switch or part of the handle? Do I need a new switch,or can this be put back together? I really can't see exactly where it came from. Any help here? TIA. Roy '91 C2 Cab.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:07 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

the cable goes on the back of the handbrake , there is a contactswitch. Without the signal from that switch your Top will not operate.
harald
Old 12-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Harald, I can see the contact switch but the copper piece with the male spade end has come apart from the switch. Is this a throw away or do you know if it can be re-assembled? Thanks, Roy
Old 12-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Roy

The parking brake switch has 2 wires; one to te ground, one brown/red is for signalling.

This switch serves the central informer; if all is working, your "parking brake light" must be on when parking brake is up and ignition on.

There are no links between parking brake position and top operating. I'm sure of this for Tip cars.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Herbie, I'm starting to think part of my handbrake switch is missing. I don't think I ever had a handbrake warning light after startup. Only now I have conflicting info. on how this affects the working of the cab. top. I know I have read somewhere that the handbrake was involved. I know this doesn't apply, but I rented a Mustang convertible once on vacation and it's top would only go up with the handbrake one. But I also thought I had read this about the 964 also. Will go back and look for another wire. I didn't see a separate ground wire so I thought I just grounded itself throught the handbrake mounting. Thanks, Roy
Old 12-06-2002, 04:17 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Talking

Hi Roy

I hav a 91 cab and i am sure that you do not have to apply the handbrake to lower the roof. The only safety measure is that the engine must not be.

This can be over ridden so you can lower the roof while driving, if it was the case that you needed to apply the handbrake to lower the roof then this mod, which people have done on their vcars would be usless. I think that is a red herring you have there. I would check out the handbrake warning light first.

On another point i am in the process of refurbing my roof at the moment. This weekend i intend to secure the transmission for the roff to the body, as 2 of the 3 bolts that hold it in place have cone free.

Good luck

Regards
Rob
91 964 cab
Jersey UK
Old 12-06-2002, 05:58 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

hallo
You should have only 1 line and it will get ground when you pull the Brake, ther is only a copperlatch you stick the cable to. It does not look like a switch .
harald
Old 12-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Harald, That is exactly what I have. I reattached the copper strip to the plastic housing plugged in the wire and it is now working. The warning light also works now. Thanks for the replies. Roy

Quick Reply: Switch on emergency brake