Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LASER DETECTOR (that works !!)

Hi All,

I'm looking for a GPS based speed camera warning system, with built in
Laser detector that actually works !. I have a present a Snooper system, but have never seen the laser detector ever go off. This is even when I seen the gun actually pointed at my car.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

I have a Snooper S6 thing with the GPS, Radar and Laser detection. Up until Easter I had never seen it warn of anything except cameras, but on the way down to Cornwall the radar alert went off and I immediately slowed down.....over a minute passed and nothing to be seen then over the next rise there was a police car nicking people all over the place....I would guess it detected it over a mile away...!! Never seen the laser thing go off, but I sure wouldn't buy a new detector because you THINK it might not be working.....if you need a justification for a new toy that badly...then...ha ha...
Old 04-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Robbed. I thought laser detection was going to become illegal sometime soon?

AFAIK the important part is where your reciever is mounted, to maximise the chance of picking up the laser beam when its aimed at you. Aren't the laser operators trained to aim at the number plate, 'cos its a vertical surface, hence the popularity of the 'garage door opener' laser receivers mounted just above the plate?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I thought laser detection was going to become illegal sometime soon?
Er - as opposed to speeding?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Hi Robbed. I thought laser detection was going to become illegal sometime soon?
As I understand it it's the sale of laser jammers that will become illegal. The use of laser jammers is already illegal but the sale and having them fitted to a car is not.
I suspect it will be extremely difficult to frame the law to prevent the use of laser detection equipment. Whether they will be able to ban the sale of laser detection equipment in the UK is equivicable; But that's what tinternet is for.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Obstruction is the law, that's the angle they are going for. I seem to remember that it will be illegal to have a jammer in the car, period, (mind you, they do have to stop you etc etc,) But if they do then you can be nailed for this.
Regardless of the "I use it for opening my garage door" argument it will not work, view the UKspeeding website, they have all the relevant details for you to peruse...intersting reading.
Thats why ROADANGEL offer or will be offering a service to disable their laser reader as they will be illegal too.

Only GPS systems need apply.........

kevin.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:46 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

You can breathe easy for a while though. The general election means the bill has run out of time.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the Phaser II radar and laser detector and jammer. It seems to work like a charm. The only way they can get you is if you are coming around a blind corner and they shoot you then... Too close and too quick... You're toast.

I love it so far.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Kismet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Road Angel which came with a Laser Detector when they were first introduced. The thing was going off all the time, but they found a design flaw and replaced it FOC. However the new one has never gone off once even when I know I've seen the Police using them. I always drive within the speed limit other than after passing the GLF sign. Blackspot told me that the reason the laser had not triggered was because the police had not pointed it at me as I was obviously driving within the limit. I'm not convinced, wouldn't one expect to pick up scatter from other cars being checked or are they really narrow beam ?

Quick Reply: LASER DETECTOR (that works !!)